RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > The Uniden Tavern

The Uniden Tavern - For general chit-chat and non-technical discussion specific to Uniden and does not fall within the above forum topics. This is not the forum to get technical advice from.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 2:51 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thats why I bought mine For Simulcast issues but it was useless
Old 07-03-2018, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcool101 View Post
You can't solve simulcast problems with an antenna, unless it is a directional antenna you use to isolate the signal from one transmitter in a simulcast site.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:26 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
You can't solve simulcast problems with an antenna, unless it is a directional antenna you use to isolate the signal from one transmitter in a simulcast site.
I think your statement is going to be generally correct for most simulcast situations, especially if you're close to the transmitters.

However, I temporarily solved my simulcast issues for the '436 and TRX-1 by switching to higher-gain rubber duck antennas (Diamond '77 and '951) when trying to monitor a distant Harris simulcast system (approximately 30 miles away) from a "sweet spot" inside my house. As best I could determine, one of the transmitters was somewhat blocked by the geometry of my house, but the radios weren't receiving the stronger signal well enough with lower-gain, stock antennas to render clear communications.

In support of your statement, however, the house itself was acting like a directional antenna. My point is that simulcast systems are so subject to listener and user variables that it's difficult to rely on rigid observations and guidance. Everyone's mileage is guaranteed to vary!

I have since bought an SDS100 and haven't looked back. LSM reception is infinitely better, no matter where I am or what antenna I use (including the stock rubber duck!). Aside from LSM reception, the SDS performs much like the 436 and is far from perfect, but it's made a world of difference to my listening needs.. I'm really curious to see how the Whistler performs when it's released.

-Johnnie
Old 07-04-2018, 11:59 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
You would be wrong...I have a 396t I stream with...My antenna made a world of difference...not directional ether
Old 07-05-2018, 12:08 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I streamed with a GRE PSR 600...Used a mobile small magnet mount 800 antenna stuck to a pipe wrench horizontal in my garage. It worked...Oh I must have been dreaming cause I can't do that
Old 07-05-2018, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcool101 View Post
You would be wrong...I have a 396t I stream with...My antenna made a world of difference...not directional ether
Quote:
Used a mobile small magnet mount 800 antenna stuck to a pipe wrench horizontal in my garage.
Horizontal antennas are in fact somewhat directional.

Quote:
And by your own admission, the stubby antenna did not solve your simulcast issue, which proves my point.

In rare situations, a deliberately "crappy" antenna configuration (sticking it in a paint can, mounting it horizontal instead of vertical, using a stubby with poor performance, etc) will attenuate the signal just enough to push the second-strongest simulcast signal below the receiver's noise floor, while leaving enough of the strongest signal above the noise floor to get good decode. For this to work, the signal strengths have to be close enough together to cause interference, but far enough apart that burying one in the receiver's noise floor leaves enough of the other to be usable, and the "crappy" antenna setup has to offer just the right amount of attenuation to do that.

But in >90% of situations, a "crappy" antenna setup will accomplish nothing. Either the signal is not attenuated enough to get rid if the interfering signal(s), or every signal is attenuated too much to be usable. So yes, in rare circumstances you can get lucky, but the odds are heavily against success if you try to duplicate someone else's successful "crappy" antenna setup.

In contrast, a strongly directional antenna will solve simulcast issues (at least for receiving a particular site) in >90% of cases, so recommending that as a solution has a very good chance of solving simulcast issues. A "crappy" antenna setup does not.
Old 07-07-2018, 2:11 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
And by your own admission, the stubby antenna did not solve your simulcast issue, which proves my point.

In rare situations, a deliberately "crappy" antenna configuration (sticking it in a paint can, mounting it horizontal instead of vertical, using a stubby with poor performance, etc) will attenuate the signal just enough to push the second-strongest simulcast signal below the receiver's noise floor, while leaving enough of the strongest signal above the noise floor to get good decode. For this to work, the signal strengths have to be close enough together to cause interference, but far enough apart that burying one in the receiver's noise floor leaves enough of the other to be usable, and the "crappy" antenna setup has to offer just the right amount of attenuation to do that.
Bingo...We have a winner....What I said was the antenna you said was just as good as the Comet stubby sucked. What I use for a feed antenna now is an old antenna off of an old BC200. I cut it so its only 2 inches long. Works...for that room...Every room in my house is different. Every radio is different. I laughed when I first read a paper clip would work for some. I don't laugh any more. It worked. YMMV is certainly true for Simulcast. SDS100 made a world of difference. But I won't "waste" my newer radios as feed radios