RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 9:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
The idea is that by sharing the common circuitry, the price should be less than the $5,000 you claim. Besides, what's the point if you still buy the 10 radios to do the 10 feeds? I have a feeling it can still be done for less than $1,000 ...
True, but most of a scanner is the receiver - on the order of at least 2:1, so it would still cost way more than $1000. You can't reuse much of the receiver since it will have to be tuned to the frequency which requires changing the PLL/Synthesizer as well as front end filters, Etc.

How much of a market is there for a 10-channel simultaneous receiver anyway? How many people would use that? You really can't monitor 10 channels at the same time if they are active.

I would submit that there is a considerable desire for a scanner with dual receivers. That would have the ability to add features such as:

* Simultaneous receive/scan and Close Call

* Simultaneous receive/scan and FTO

* Simultaneous FTO and Close Call

* Weather Alert in combination with any of the above modes (FTO/CC/RX/SCAN)

* Trunked system priority (regardless of the priority status or support of the system)

* Reception of more than one channel at the same time - even two trunked systems.

* In theory, twice the scan speed if the receivers are shared by the same scan list.

Joe M.
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks Joe, I agree with you of course but I still think there is a market for it if not for personal use but for the purpose I identified which is for feeds... I would love to be able to provide more feeds but I look at having all those separate radios and it seems less daunting if I had one box purpose built.

In any case, yes, a dual radio / dual receive scanner for my day to day would be ideal.
Old 11-10-2012, 5:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Some more ideas :-)

--Priority Scan DND like the BC125AT ... I hate being on one PRI channel and have the radio switch to another PRI channel while the other is being monitored

--The multi-radio-in-one would also be good for scanning small groups of frequencies rather than a huge swath of spectrum. Right now with my one BCD996XT, I miss other frequency activity while it goes through the spectrum. I live in NYC and there is A LOT to be monitored :P

--Proper Serial port in the BACK of the unit. Otherwise USB only... make the sound show up as a sound card via USB like the HomePatrol

--Base-band Audio Out jack in the back of the unit

--I think Discriminator out jack has been said already :P

--Built in remote head. Make the front faceplate removable so a single product can be either self contained or separated. Sell just the extension cable, not a whole new head for hundreds of dollars (Icom IC-7000 for example)

--In the absence of my most desired Wi-Fi Web Server control interface, perhaps a simple iOS and Android App that can be used to mimic the full control suite of the front faceplate via Bluetooth even if no audio is sent at least allow remote control in ANY way other than Serial or USB especial requiring a PC to do it. Direct remote control, no intermediate PC/MAC...

--Ability to TURN OFF Priority mode completely in one step. Right now say you are monitoring one channel and want to hold it. If PRI is on, the scanner will continue to scan the PRI channels (see above re: Pri DND) so I usually hit HOLD and then hit PRI twice to turn it off. If I forget to hit hold, the radio goes to PRI Plus mode and tunes away from the monitored channel causing me to miss the conversation while I try to locate the channel I was listening to. Being able to disable Priority without disturbing the HELD freq/channel would be great.

Last edited by gonzalu; 11-10-2012 at 5:12 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 5:03 PM

My BCT15 is perfect for me except for one small thing...and it might not be able to be changed for future models...but I live in a small apartment with walls that are paper thin. I'm surprised my neighbors havent complained about my tones dropping because those suckers can pierce walls....haha. Anyways, I would like to be able to regulate the volume of the weather alert tone, so that I can use the alert feature without ticking off the people in the adjacent apartments...I keep my scanner low enough so that the tones don't do too much damage, but the weather alert can't be adjusted and is put only on full volume which isn't acceptable by my landlord. I would like the feature to be added. But if its not possible, I understand that there are certain regulations...I have a weather radio that you can adjust the tone on, but that doesn't get good reception in my house in the winter time.
Old 11-11-2012, 7:08 PM

I love my Uniden HP-1 except for its size. I want a large desktop version of the HP-1 with a much bigger display with bigger text, a much bigger speaker with at least 3 watts audio output, and an actual analog volume knob. Something that looks more like a desktop shortwave communications or ham receiver with a REAL, ACCURATE, LARGE ANALOG S-METER instead of the stupid tiny 4-bar thing the HP-1 has, and a LARGE FREQUENCY DISPLAY. In other words, I want a REAL RADIO, not a fat cell phone. Yeah, I know it would be too big for mobile operation, but I don't care.
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2012, 8:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

In Depth Programmable Multi start and stop points for user programmable Searches

like the Stock military search Vhf -then skips to -Uhf

i would like my own parameters 137-143<>skip to 225-275

or 762 -798 skip to 849-869 <>905-922

more Search banks like say 20 would be nice.
MORE CHANNELS , MORE MORE MORE -SITES

Some type of Improvement to TRS Scanning where after 4 passes scanning gives recent sites more priority based on
having Signal (Helpful for statewide system while traveling )
I Don't know how to make it do this but i believe in you Uniden you'll figure it out .

I travel most everyday So this would be useful

Last edited by JLM7424; 11-11-2012 at 8:54 PM..
Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

1. A portable scanner that I can hold in one hand and control basic functions.
2. Bring back AM broadcast with internal bar antenna and include WFM with RDS.
3. Selectable Icons. EXP: Control tower, plane, patrol car, fire truck,police badge,medical insignia & train.
4. Recorder with Micro SD expandability.
5. Larger LCD display with selectable fonts and sizes. 256 colors
6. BNC connector
7.LI-ON battery option
8.Close Call with auto record of voice,time and frequency.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

IIRC, Electra Bearcat had a shortwave receiver back in the 70's-80's. (I seem to recall it advertised in "Firehouse" magazine that my Dad got when he was with a volunteer company back then.) Anyone remember the model number?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

A dual-receiver scanner so that those who monitor agencies like the CHP or the NMSP who use non-repeatered 2-frequency simplex systems can more easily catch both sides of the conversation. Or for simultaneous monitoring of both an FD & a PD ch at a scene.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Silent Key

I know this sounds crazy,but I would love some sort of closed captioning arrangement for those who have lost their hearing(like me,although I'm working to get that back right now)and were or are scanner enthusiasts who still want to know what is going on.
Slow learner for wanting to play prog metal guitar....
Old 11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A talking scanner once powered on have the voice command talk.

It's possible!
Old 11-12-2012, 2:31 PM
Silent Key

What is "voice command talk"?
Old 11-12-2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post

IIRC, Electra Bearcat had a shortwave receiver back in the 70's-80's. (I seem to recall it advertised in "Firehouse" magazine that my Dad got when he was with a volunteer company back then.) Anyone remember the model number?
Here 'tis:

Bearcat DX1000 Uniden DX-1000
Old 11-12-2012, 6:07 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDeadOne View Post
What is "voice command talk"?
I unno sounded cool at the time.
Old 11-13-2012, 2:44 AM

Default Here is myn

NXDN
MotoTRBO
IDAS
P25 Phase II
D-star
TVB-T audio Decode
Quick PL-DPL decode on the fly while listenning to a station (during the scan stop)
of course AM FM and WFM
Old 11-13-2012, 8:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It would be nice to transfer your current systems on your 396/996 XT to the next scanner easily.

Jacob
Old 11-13-2012, 9:06 PM

If I had my choice for an item for any new scanner to have would be Bluetooth so you could listen with a hands free earpiece or headset. I know it could possibly interfere with reception but it is a thought. Just my two cents.

Ronnie
Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Silent Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git-R-Done View Post
I unno sounded cool at the time.
not really.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDeadOne View Post
I know this sounds crazy,but I would love some sort of closed captioning arrangement for those who have lost their hearing(like me,although I'm working to get that back right now)and were or are scanner enthusiasts who still want to know what is going on.
Why not take the headphone output and run it into the microphone input of a computer. Then run Dragon Naturally Speaking and have it type out what is being spoken. Just a thought.

Ronnie
Old 11-13-2012, 11:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

exstended warranty option