What Do You Want In The Next Uniden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Hoping this thread doesn't get shot down. Because I think UPman and several others have made it clear our input counts. As a customer, I'm frustrated that there are some things missing that could make Uniden, my favorite brand, the ultimate.

Here's my *wish list* for whatever is next...

***P25 Phase II TDMA Capable (A reality only 6mos out for us in NJ)***
-NXDN Capable (Railroads WILL be switching over in 2017. Railfans are a big part of your market guys!)
-P25 Standard Non-TRS Radio ID's (Single channel trunked for this is a major pain)
-MDC ID Decode
-Ability to enable iCall in radio menu, without FreeScan
-Detachable faceplate WITH power control would be awesome for mobile ops. (BC-RH96 is bulky for this, and has no power control.)

P25 Phase II TDMA and P25 X2-TDMA are really as simple as a Firmware Update. As a loyal customer, I think it should be a big priority.

So what would you like to see??

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Phase II is really all I care about at this point.

Our system is already on the air, and we've got nothing viable on the market to recommend to anyone who asks how to monitor it.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Phase II is really all I care about at this point.

Our system is already on the air, and we've got nothing viable on the market to recommend to anyone who asks how to monitor it.

I agree with this. This is the biggest feature I would like to see in the next product.
Also would't mind seeing the ability to have more than 10 Fire Tone Out tones. Not too big of a deal for me, seeing I have a minitor 5 for that purpose.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I agree with you both. Off my list the immediates for me are the ability to decode X2-TDMA and Phase II TDMA, but especially Phase II TDMA.

Although I can't help but harp on the detachable faceplate w/ power controls also :D

The rest can really wait. But NXDN is going to be needed in the next 5 years because of the railroads.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
RadioDitch;1839981 Although I can't help but harp on the detachable faceplate w/ power controls also :D [/QUOTE said:
I could see that being a pretty nice feature too. I wouldn't mind having that.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Oh one other thing I want is there to be a model that is like the 396XT, not like the HP1. I really don't want the only Phase II model to be like the HP1 because I want a handheld model, as im sure many others would agree with.

majora11

Model like the 396xt. Ability to track EDACS ProVoice talkgroups. IF discriminator output from the headphone jack. P25 Phase 2 decoding. I already have these features on my PSR-800, and would only buy a Uniden model with these features implemented.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I thought the 800 did X2, not Phase II, which are not the same. X2 was Motorola's proposed standard for Phase II, but was not the standard ultimately adopted for Phase II. At least that was my understanding of it.

nanZor

More power in the audio amplifier - as long as it stays clean. And, user-selectable high / low pass audio cutoffs.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I thought the 800 did X2, not Phase II, which are not the same. X2 was Motorola's proposed standard for Phase II, but was not the standard ultimately adopted for Phase II. At least that was my understanding of it.

The 800 can now do Phase 2 and X2 with the beta firmware released the other day.
There is a problem where an X2 system will lose one voice slot with the beta FW so you should stick with the non beta FW if your system is X2 otherwise you lose a voice slot. The Phase 2 function works great from those reporting on it that have true Phase 2 systems to monitor.

None of the Uniden's can be made to decode X2 or Phase 2 without major hardware changes. No FW can fix that. The radios need new chips so a new design will be needed.

I also hope Uniden improves on the 396/996 line and includes the wish list items. The HP-1 is a neat idea but I'd much rather see new models based on the 396 and 996 designs with full keypads.
The HP-1 is kinda half way between a scanner app on a phone and a true scanner in my opinion. Same goes for the PSR-800.

quarterwave

The 780 is my favorite, I have 2. I would like to see the chassis look more like that and not a DIN 90's-2k car stereo.

I like my radio to look like a radio.

Redneck0410

The 780 is my favorite, I have 2. I would like to see the chassis look more like that and not a DIN 90's-2k car stereo.

I like my radio to look like a radio.

Here's an idea... how about a scanner that don't cost over 299 bucks!? I know them days are long gone, but jeez! it's hard enough coming up with money to try and get a used one on Fleabay. I wouldn't mind one that does Phase II as well.

garys

Premium Subscriber
P25 Phase II TDMA and P25 X2-TDMA are really as simple as a Firmware Update. As a loyal customer, I think it should be a big priority.

This has been addressed, none of the current offerings by Uniden can be firmware upgraded, it requires new hardware which means it will require a new scanner.

I think you should consider what the priorities are because we aren't going to see everything.

For me TDMA and other digital modes are the highest priority. After that, I'd like to see a simple to use remote head. Many ham radios have it and have had it for years, it's not that difficult to do. I'd also like to see a touch screen like the HP has, but I can live without it.

One thing that would be nice would be various software options so that if I don't want all the unit ID stuff you do, I don't to pay for it. Digital modes could be offered on the same basis depending on the hardware being built in to handle it if the proper unlock key was entered. That way if people don't ever listen to a particular trunking system type or don't have TDMA in their area (yet), they don't have to pay for it. If circumstances change, then they can purchase the additional keys.

The remote head is something that I think a lot of people would like. I know that it made installing my FT8800 in my truck a lot easier. A remote head (not the RH96) for my 996XT would have been incredibly nice to have.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I mostly want one that will do NXDN. How about a cheaper version that just does that? Make a RR special version.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
This has been addressed, none of the current offerings by Uniden can be firmware upgraded, it requires new hardware which means it will require a new scanner.

I think you should consider what the priorities are because we aren't going to see everything.

I stand corrected :)

I think the priority above all, and seemingly unanimously, is P25 Phase II. And when I started the thread I did say "In The Next Uniden", so I have no objection to putting out another $400-500 for something that does it.

mke65

I would like a scanner that decodes what my wife is saying into what she actually means.

I would pay top dollar for that unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.