Will 536HP audio repairs mean early stock of refurbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Now that Uniden has announced a recall for the BCD536HP units with the headphone background noise issue, I wonder if the recalled units will be repaired, repackaged, and returned to the dealers and consumers as new (repaired) units.....

Or if the recalled units will end up for sale as "factory refurbished" units on Uniden's web site and new production units sent back to those that had them...

If so, could be a lot of good refurb deals coming up! Good news for those that waited!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Now that Uniden has announced a recall for the BCD536HP units with the headphone background noise issue, I wonder if the recalled units will be repaired, repackaged, and returned to the dealers and consumers as new (repaired) units.....

Or if the recalled units will end up for sale as "factory refurbished" units on Uniden's web site and new production units sent back to those that had them...

If so, could be a lot of good refurb deals coming up! Good news for those that waited!

This is the first I have heard of this. Do you have a link to this announcement?

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
It would be good news if Uniden addressed ALL of the reported shortfalls,

But this recall only corrects the headphone issue.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
No where does he mention a recalled of units already in the hands of buyers. For units not already sold, there is a "recall" per se.

As for ones already shipped, he did not yet specify how that would be addressed.

kwd57

I wonder how they will know where all these units are since there is still no way to register them on their site.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think Upman's statement: "If you experience this issue, we are absolutely going to see that you get a unit in your hands that meets our standards and your expectations. I’m going to ask that you exercise a little more patience as we get this process in place." says that units in the hands of buyers will be fixed.

With this being a fairly broad statement and Upman being the sort of person who chooses his words quite carefully, one could also surmise that all the "Reported Shortfalls" will be addressed. The caveat to that is Uniden will need to verify such shortfalls are indeed problems with their unit, versus "pilot error" (as in incorrect programming of the scanner).

I imagine that once Uniden gets the nuts and bolts of the process in place, we'll see more information posted here. I'm sure the vendors will also have a means of reaching out to affected purchasers as well. My bet is that they'll have a range of affected serial numbers and they'll know which vendors got which units by serial number.

Last edited:

kwd57

I think Upman's statement: "If you experience this issue, we are absolutely going to see that you get a unit in your hands that meets our standards and your expectations. I’m going to ask that you exercise a little more patience as we get this process in place." says that units in the hands of buyers will be fixed.

With this being a fairly broad statement and Upman being the sort of person who chooses his words quite carefully, one could also surmise that all the "Reported Shortfalls" will be addressed. The caveat to that is Uniden will need to verify such shortfalls are indeed problems with their unit, versus "pilot error" (as in incorrect programming of the scanner).

I imagine that once Uniden gets the nuts and bolts of the process in place, we'll see more information posted here. I'm sure the vendors will also have a means of reaching out to affected purchasers as well. My bet is that they'll have a range of affected serial numbers and they'll know which vendors got which units by serial number.
If you were referring to my post, I am sorry that you took it the wrong way. I didn't think what I said meant that I was being impatient. I was just wondering how, if I am not able to keep up on this issue on this forum, how they might know that I have one of the affected units. Right now, the only one who knows is the retailer where I got from.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was trying to hit three birds with one stone. The "what about other shortfalls", the "what about those who already have them, that wasn't mentioned" and your post about "how does Uniden know I got one".

Your post didn't lead me to thinking you were impatient, rather you were wondering about how a (for lack of better words) a "recall notice" would find its way to you. I imagine that Uniden may have a means of asking the vendors to contact those who purchased these units.

SCPD

QRT
Uniden should have better quality control for a scanner with a price tag that's near $500.00!.

XTS3000

Will 536HP factory recall announcement mean early stock of refurbs?

Uniden should have better quality control for a scanner with a price tag that's near $500.00!.

I'm with ya on this one, which I seen and PREDICTED weeks before it's release. 5th post down.

http://forums.radioreference.com/showthread.php?t=280948

Noticed the 436HP is made in Vietnam, who I would not blame for the 536's problem. Looks like Uniden needs to find better beta testers for their products, as this is an embarrassing recall for a premier product.

XTS3000

Will 536HP factory recall announcement mean early stock of refurbs?

Go easy man...$50,000 automobiles have recalls. Yeah it stinks - but it looks like they're working on it.

I hear ya on that, but most recalls don't happen 2 weeks after product release.

kwd57

I was trying to hit three birds with one stone. The "what about other shortfalls", the "what about those who already have them, that wasn't mentioned" and your post about "how does Uniden know I got one".

Your post didn't lead me to thinking you were impatient, rather you were wondering about how a (for lack of better words) a "recall notice" would find its way to you. I imagine that Uniden may have a means of asking the vendors to contact those who purchased these units.

I bought mine as a walkin and I think the only info. they have for me is my mailing address. Maybe I will give them a call and give them all my contact info. I did buy mine knowing the problem was there, and they would make it right, but I was hoping like others, that it might be just a firmware fix.

pepsima1

Banned
HAHA. I was not even part of being a beta tester and since I have been a part of this RR site for many years now and have contributed a lot of information to the database and was not even offered a radio for testing I would of saved Uniden the hassles with all of these radios.

I was the first one to notice this issue and posted it to Uniden. O well the growing pains of new products hitting the streets. At least its being addressed. I bought two of these BCD536HP radios and spent 1200.00 bucks. At least throw me a bone.

kwd57

HAHA. I was not even part of being a beta tester and since I have been a part of this RR site for many years now and have contributed a lot of information to the database and was not even offered a radio for testing I would of saved Uniden the hassles with all of these radios.

I was the first one to notice this issue and posted it to Uniden. O well the growing pains of new products hitting the streets. At least its being addressed. I bought two of these BCD536HP radios and spent 1200.00 bucks. At least throw me a bone.

Upman did say that the issue was not on the beta units and it did not happen until production.

pepsima1

Banned
I think UPMan should throw me a bone. I think I saved Uniden from selling another 50K units and having to recall them too.

At least free scanners for a lifetime... Yeah right.....

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I was the first one to notice this issue and posted it to Uniden. O well the growing pains of new products hitting the streets. At least its being addressed. I bought two of these BCD536HP radios and spent 1200.00 bucks. At least throw me a bone.[/QUOTE]

I also bought two BCD536HPs and would like a bone. Actually, my sincere hope is that with this glitch and a recall of some units, other things like the Wi-Fi application and advanced features (including, I hope, raw data output) firmware don't get put on the back burner for later. The 536HP is a nice radio, but without these applications, it is not what I thought I would be buying when I heard the big announcement on Nov 16th.

Steve AA6IO

lawman210

If anyone gets the serial number list of the effected units can you post it?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.