HP-1: Unable to get p25 simulcast channels to scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

potterda

I am new to radio reference, and new to digital scanning. I have an HP-1 and loved it until my area went to p25 trunked simulcast system. I have tried many different ways on the sentinel software too get it to scan these channels. Even when I am not trying to use the favorites list, that system only shows one frequency and it does not scan though them. It is Linn County Public Safety. I can listen to it on my phone, but not my scanner.

Any help would be appreciated. The system is in Linn County Iowa

JamesO

Probably "pilot error" at this point??

These scanners are very good, but complicated and they have FAR more ways of limiting monitoring and only 1 way to properly monitor your area.

Here is my suggestion.

Use the Zip code function to get the scanner initially programmed, BUT mare you update the Master Database and actually Write the updated Master Database to the scanner before you set up Zip code location. NOTE, MAKE SURE THE MASTER DATABASE UPDATE IS WRITTEN TO THE SCANNER. I think you can verify this by going into the menu and looking at the scanner info as I recall??

Then set the Range to 15-20 miles and make sure you have most of the Public Safety Service Types enabled.

This way you can start with making sure you can receive what you are trying to hear, then you can start to play with the Favorites List. Word to the wise, do not make a Favorites List from scratch until you have been using the scanner and software for at least 3 months!!!

Import the site info from the Master Database for your Favorite List, then edit from there.

troymail

Silent Key
Might be better to look at posts and post in the Iowa forum....

From what RR is showing it looks like a Harris system (but that's just a guess from the fact that ALL of the frequencies are listed as either a primary or alternate control channel frequency). Others - even with the newer x36 radios are reporting problems on these systems (but I haven't noticed any significant difference from receiving other simulcast systems). The most I can tell you for a local Harris simulcast system in my state is that the system hasn't yet been built out fully (they only have like 5 towers but know they really need 13 and are building towards that - even thought the systems has been live since August).

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with programming your scanner but my suggestion is to try and figure out which frequency is actually active and being used as the control channel and only enter that frequency into your radio/system. Remove all others. Basically, this forces the radio to immediately check that one frequency right away if the radio loses sync on the CC (rather than it walking through each of the frequencies one at a time just to come back around to the same one it left).

Additionally - load this as the only system (don't try scanning others at the same time).

And - run in ID SEARCH mode or whatever the HP-1 equivalent is.

And finally - consider going close to one of the transmitter/tower sites. This virtually eliminates the simulcast concerns.

If none of this works, I'd suspect a programming problem.

Happy hunting.

EDIT: also seeing lots of Encrypted talkgroups on the system....

Ah ha! http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...c-safety-communications-system-122580358.html

Last edited:

potterda

I followed jamesO suggestion, and have uploaded master database on to my HP-1. I have Linn County Public safety locked on, so only scanning those frequencies and now I can hear something. Thank You for your suggestion. Also Thank you to troy mail. I will also try to run in ID search. Can I do this from the HP? I will also look for Iowa group.

Status
Not open for further replies.