GPS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTouesnard

Feed Provider
I'm using the uniden bcd396xt and I'm trying to get my gps to connect with it, my GPS is a Garmin gpsmap76, I recently purchased a gender changer to connect the two together but I'm having trouble with the setting part of it, everything I tried seem to fail

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with that scanner (And others may correct me) but I would think you'd have to change a setting somewhere to let it know to look for one.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber

Connecting Your Scanner The GPS device must have a serial (RS-232) output, and be capable of outputting standard NMEA-0183 v3.01 compliant location data, and GGA/RMC data sentences at 4800 bps. Make sure that the cable terminates in a female, 9-pin serial connector and you select the correct baud rate (4800 bps) for the serial port.

The scanner will display 'Searching for Satellite' if you have your connections and baud rate set correctly. When the scanner first starts receiving a signal from the GPS, it beeps and briefly displays 'GPS Connected' and (temporary) locks and unlocks all sites and groups that are 'enabled for scan', unlocked, and whose quick key is enabled according to your current location. If you have a lot of data programmed, it might take the scanner a couple of minutes to complete the process. Once the scanner completes the initial GPS review, if you move into or out of an area covered by a site/group, the scanner beeps and displays the name of the site/group and whether it is being locked or unlocked. If you cycle power, all sites/groups (enabled for scan) are unlocked until the scanner reacquires the GPS signal and completes the initial GPS review.

See also
Set GPS Format in the 'Settings' menu to set relevant options for GPS display modes.

JamesO

The GPS datastream is a one way broadcast to the scanner. If the GPS is configured properly and the connection is wired correctly, then the scanner will automatically pick up the data stream and display GPS on the display, I think in the top right hand corner?

phask

Premium Subscriber
I'm using the uniden bcd396xt and I'm trying to get my gps to connect with it, my GPS is a Garmin gpsmap76, I recently purchased a gender changer to connect the two together but I'm having trouble with the setting part of it, everything I tried seem to fail

Null modem ???? I had to use one with my GPS60 (same unit as the 76).

JamesO

Make sure the radio baud rate is set to 4800 as well.

Big GPS will appear in the top right of the display on the 396T/XT once the GPS data is picked up, happens very quick once the GPS is actually locked on positioning.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You may wish to Google BCD386XT Complete Reference. (I tried to copy the link but was unable to do so).

There's a real good discussion on GPS use starting on page 179, including what you would see if a GPS device is NOT properly connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.