Auto Scanning ?? Uniden BCD396XT v.rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktreece

Premium Subscriber
After 20 years of radio silence, I have picked up a Uniden BCD396XT. Growing up, my grandfather and I would spend hours with his old stationary unit. I did a little research and ended up with this setup just to tinker with... perhaps I got in over my head.

Quick question. As I am reading through (Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual) the easier to read manual for the unit and familiarizing myself with it, is there any way for me to put it on auto mode and just search? Right now it is how it comes out of the box, and just sticks on "Alaska ALMR ID Search". If I do the Close Call, it just picks up a radio station. Any idea if there's a general local search, or are there just too many possibilities for that?

I'm sure I will get there through the next few days of reading, but WOW are things more difficult than I remember.

wtp

as a guess

you used the word search or do you mean scan a system(town or county)?
like the good old put in a crystal and listen.

teufler

First , it is very hard tp manually program into the 396xt. You have the cable, and if you have a computer, you arfe on 2nd base heading home. you download Freescan, this will get you to third base. Then going into RadioReference, you can get all you need for Ft. Smith. About a month ago I helped someone in alittle town about 10 miles east of Ft. Smith. If you can get the cable hooked to the computer, and you can get the radio to recognize that is has a cable plugged into it, I can send you the files for Fort Smith.

ktreece

Premium Subscriber
First , it is very hard tp manually program into the 396xt. You have the cable, and if you have a computer, you arfe on 2nd base heading home. you download Freescan, this will get you to third base. Then going into RadioReference, you can get all you need for Ft. Smith. About a month ago I helped someone in alittle town about 10 miles east of Ft. Smith. If you can get the cable hooked to the computer, and you can get the radio to recognize that is has a cable plugged into it, I can send you the files for Fort Smith.

Fantastic! I think my office machine has serial. I hope to get it going tomorrow!

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations on getting back into the hobby! I also own a 396XT and it's a great scanner.

N8IAA

Not a problem. I'll do that.

However, looking at my local page, am I reading it right as RR doesn't have my new police digital codes?

How do I find those?

Sebastian County, Arkansas (AR) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Being that Fort Smith is on the AWIN statewide system, and the first tower listed is in Fort Smith. All you have to do is sort through all the different state and county TGID's. It appears that Fort Smith has one 'in the clear' TGID. The main dispatch. The rest are 'E'ncrypted. Fire is in the clear also.
HTH,
Larry

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Not a problem. I'll do that.

However, looking at my local page, am I reading it right as RR doesn't have my new police digital codes?

How do I find those?

Sebastian County, Arkansas (AR) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Above the frequency list and at the bottom of that page are links to AWIN. All database pages have the same format with trunking systems at the bottom.

Sebastian County
NextLevel.gif

ALL County, and Municipal operations are on the AWIN, all other radio systems are for backup purposes only.

Arkansas Wireless Information Network (AWIN)
Project 25 Phase I Sebastian County and Fort Smith also uses Arkansas Wireless Information Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.