what happens if i change my Charging time on my bcd396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerbuff999

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
what happens if i change my Charging time from 5 to ten on my BCD396xt
most of my rechargeable battery died quickly like 2 hours even 2700 ma ones
so dose this change the charge time on the battery's so will hurt the radio or add more time on the battery

thank you for any time here

lep

Charge time can be from 1-16 HOURS. You set it to what ever value to you wish. Many users to NOT believe in charging in the scanner, other go right ahead, that is up to you.

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
Battery charge

My 396xt came with a default of a 14 hr chrg cycle, but I've never used it to charge. Instead, I keep a separate battery charger with extra batteries in it ajways charged. When the ones in the scanner die I just switch them out & I'm up & running again within seconds. I get run times of over15 hrs of listening time per charge on a single set of batteries this way & am rarely if ever down. It beats the heck out of waiting for the scanner to do the job & I don't worry about missing something during a power outage because of weak/dead batteries

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
what happens if i change my Charging time from 5 to ten on my BCD396xt
most of my rechargeable battery died quickly like 2 hours even 2700 ma ones
so dose this change the charge time on the battery's so will hurt the radio or add more time on the battery

thank you for any time here
Charging batteries by time is always a bad idea. It either undercharges them (as is happening with yours) or overcharges them - resulting in heat and shortening the life of the cells.

Invest in a good smart charger that charges cells individually, such as the La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger I have several of these for radio and photo use and they are great. Another advantage is that you can quick charge your cells if needed (it will make them warm and is not recommended all the time) or just slow charge them (the default) to maximize the life of the cells.

scannerbuff999

Banned
its funny my 396t dose not this setting i will ty14 if that is the defuat on the 396xt
i set it for 10 now
and try that i do not went to take out the battery every time and break the torments in e radio

scannerbuff999

Banned
just check my 396xt battery with the voit meter and they are reading 1.46 voits what is the maxim voitage sound i get out of these batterys

scannerbuff999

Banned
just check my 396xt battery with the volt meter and they are reading 1.46 volts what is the maxim voltage sound i get out of these battery after about 12 hours charge

wtp

check for a pm

i sent a lenghty pm to explain things.
but about volt readings.
they can be higher without a load and a digital voltmeter does not put much of a load on the battery.
a highend analog one will also not put much of a load
a cheap one might.
you want to check under load like even a 1.5 volt light bulb for a truer reading
remember a rechargeable cell is 1.2 volts but as you see just after charging will be higher.

scannerbuff999

Banned
i am sorry what is a pm new here , so 1.46 reading is almost a full load if the which is good yes question

thanks for the help

scannerbuff999

Banned
i am testing the radio after 12 hours of charge to see how long it will run
i live in calif so i am waiting for a Fire or earthquake to hit so i whens to get the most i can of these battery i could out of power for a long time

wtp

new is ok

a pm is a personal message, if you look up the page a bit above quick links, and below submit info.
you should see private messages with a 1 showing, or more if you do't answer them.
a load on a battery is when it is being used without one it can show a much higher reading.

SCPD

QRT
If you can afford it, I recommend getting a charger from Maha. There are 3 models listed from $65 - 110, is the best in my opinion. It has fast charge, slow charge and rehabilitation modes. I run the rehab mode every ten charges. Over the years I've found that the charger paid for itself because all three modes of charging measure each battery (eight can be charged at once) and then switching to a trickle charge. The slow rate for periodic charge is the best as it doesn't produce as much heat, which extends battery life.

This is the Maha page showing the three chargers:

Chargers - Maha Energy

I have the C-801D. I've owned it for over ten years and it is a solid product. It is one of those "pay a lot upfront to spend less in the future." Four 2700 milliamp hour batteries (I use Powerex) cost about $12-15 per 4 pack. If you make that type of investment you should buy a product that extends their lives. Some of my batteries have lasted 5-7 years.

Last edited:

scannerbuff999

Banned
think are looking better i got 9 hours out of one set just bye changing the setting to 12 that a lot better than 2 hours so i will keep working at it

thanks for everyone help

Status
Not open for further replies.