Siren app TCP/IP port

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what port the 536hp broadcasts out on? I would love to be able to listen and control my scanner from outside the house but I need to know what port to forward.

Any ideas?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
We've been having a hell of a time figuring that out. My gut feeling is that it's stymying Uniden as well (making it work outside a firewall).

Port 554 if I recall correctly is the "control" port for, shall we say, data functions like pause, play, etc.

Everything that I've seen discussed on the forum to date says that the audio port(s - two of them) changes every time the connection is made. The RTSP client/server negotiates the pair of ports upon connection, and the standard allows for the ports to be drawn from a very large pool (something like 1024 to 65520).

There are some folks who, I think, made it work after a fashion by streaming from the scanner to VLC on a home computer, and then streaming VLC out to the world on a static, known port. IIRC you might end up losing the ability to control the scanner using this method, but you can get audio outside of your firewall into the Internet proper.

All that said - the current version of the 536 and Siren app does not support control/audio outside your home network natively.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
I'm half tempted to use a second IP address, use a airport express and port forward everything to the scanner.

number6

You mean this hasn't yet been figured out? Wow. I thought port 50536 was involved, or at least that's what I remember reading ... somewhere. I'm trying to do much the same thing--forward a port direct to the dongle to listen to it on the outside not just via Siren but VLC Media Player as well via UDP. 50536 sure doesn't work.

Re the Airport Express idea, that's what I'm using for my in-house Wi-Fi because the stupid FiOS router is so old (vintage 2010) it doesn't even have n-Draft on it, no less 'ac' for new iPad Airs and such, so I turned the Wi-Fi on the Actiontech M424 and enabled it on the Airport. ProScan, VLC and Siren work in the house, but I'm more interested in having access to it from outside.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You may have to update your network I have done DVR work and they do not like your type network either each time I had the customer move to a more usable Internet provider. When I would call tech support they always wanted to know why ports needed to be unblocked for port forwarding as for proscan I have it running outside my network with no problems.

shiggs68

If you capture the network traffic with a utility like WireShark, you will find that first a UDP series of messages are sent to port 554 to retrieve the screen display information. Uniden has a document with these commands and responses documented.

Next the exchange becomes complicated. A TCP Open is requested on port 50536. Once acknowledged, RTSP protocol DESCRIBE, SETUP, and PLAY message are sent to the scanner. The SETUP message indicates 2 ports for the scanner to start streaming RTP packets. These are dynamically chosen from the RTSP reserved range and depending on what else is also doing RSTP in the client. In my case on a PC 53600 and 53601 were assigned and used.

This then becomes difficult to port forward. A better choice would be to use something link ProScan to rebroadcast via it's remote connection.

kc2kth

Shiggs,

Great analysis. One question though, are the connections following the SETUP initiated by the client or by the dongle to the client? If the dongle sends the syn for the connections on these ports to the client port forwarding shouldn't matter since the traffic would go out like any other. However I'm assuming it's the client that initiates these connections which is why streaming is problematic. Basically a rule would need to be set allowing whatever the RTSP block is allowing anything inbound to those ports through to the dongle IP address.

shiggs68

The scanner acts as the RTSP server. The client (siren app) sends the server the SETUP advising the server to stream the audio to the ports identified in the client. Most routers are not protocol aware such that they would understand the RTSP SETUP command related to forwarding.

I have researched this as my original intention was to develop something similar myself on a Raspberry PI platform. I did prototype the display portion and found the RSTP Server/Client source software was available but decided not to tackle the project at this time.

Hope this helps. Since this is not a simply problem to solve is probably why Uniden has not provided a solution themselves.

shiggs68

I should also add that the dongle really has nothing to do with the protocol as I believe it is just a USB wireless ethernet adapter probably with some minimal internal API built-in. You can think of the Dongle and scanner as one wireless device.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Wow, this thread came back from the dead!

My goal was to use siren on my iPhone on the go, I stream Fire, but don't want to stream police because of how my city uses the channels. I guess VPN is my best choice

shiggs68

Yes, I posted as I had just researched this and wanted to completely answer the question.

You might try TeamViewer as a remote solution with one of the remote clients running on your home PC.

MPutman

Uniden scanner BCD536HP. Has anyone been able to figure out if the wifi Dongle works with the siren app? Also does it still needed to be updated by the computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
Uniden scanner BCD536HP. Has anyone been able to figure out if the wifi Dongle works with the siren app? Also does it still needed to be updated by the computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, if you do the firmware update through the computer, and download Siren for iOS it works great!

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
Siren App Basics

I just need to know how to get started with the siren app. It wants an IP address, or suggests one. But, when I look at the scanner, it is 0.0.0.0 Do I change the scanner's IP address, and if so, how? Or, is there another solution?

shiggs68

At your scanner, you must first go to WiFi setup and provide a network and password for it to connect to. Once it is connected, then the Show WiFi information will have an IP address that you can use.

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
Are there instructions anywhere for doing either? I am going to do the Access Point. But, first thing it asked was SSID and started with BCD536-xxxxxx I don't know what I am supposed to do even at this point!!

Status
Not open for further replies.