Uniden BCD325P2 and GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I have a brand new 325P2 that I will be using exclusively in my car with a GPS. It replaces a BCD396XT that worked superb with GPS. Only problem now is that I cannot use my current Garmin puck type GPS with this scanner as the programming cable is now all USB and not serial port like the 396XT uses. Looks like I will need a new GPS for my mobile setup. Does anyone have recommendations for me? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marksmith

Are you sure you don't just need a serial to usb converter cable?

I think I have a normal serial 9pin and then a 9pin to scanner input adapter cable to get me into the 396xt or HP1/2 right now.

I have to consider this too if I want to try my 325 the car. Do they have a 9pin to usb adapter cable?

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

SCPD

QRT
I have a brand new 325P2 that I will be using exclusively in my car with a GPS. It replaces a BCD396XT that worked superb with GPS. Only problem now is that I cannot use my current Garmin puck type GPS with this scanner as the programming cable is now all USB and not serial port like the 396XT uses. Looks like I will need a new GPS for my mobile setup. Does anyone have recommendations for me? Thanks for any help.

Just need this for this scanner to utilize the puck you currently have:

Uniden Bearcat GPS Adapter Cable for the BCD325P2 | ScannerMaster.com

Last edited:

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Checking Scannermaster website now. They sell a serial/USB converter cable f=
or $19.95. I may only need this. I also need to be sure the mini USB end wil=
l connect to the 325P2 port on the side of the scanner, as it's a different s=
ize from the 396XT.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
The current Garmin GPS has a standard serial end (9 pin) with Null Modem attatched to the programming cable for the 396XT. Would the Uniden converter cable mentioned above work? I would think the serial connections are the same?

Voyager

That cable is for the Uniden GPS which has a round connector. It does not have a DB-9 connector.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden GPS on the Scannermaster site looks like it has a serial connector in the picture?

SCPD

QRT
Well aware of the difference between the Garmin and Uniden pucks. Reason I posted the "utilize the puck you currently have" link was I was riding in a coworker's car last week and he had a BCD325P2 running a Garmin puck. Only issue he stated was that this cable was not available for a while after the scanner was released.

Since I would hate for anyone to buy something that may not work "out of the box" I will email my coworker and make sure and he didn't have to modify the cable in any way to get it to work.

Last edited:

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
The ports on the BCD325P2 and 396XT are totally different USB styles, the cables only work with the model scanners they are designed for.

Voyager

And the cable posted is for the 325. But, it's got the connector for the Uniden GPS.

Will be interesting to see what lesel posts back.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
99.9999% sure I will need a new Uniden GPS and the cable recommended here, I see no other way that my current setup will work with this new 325P2. I appreciate the assistance from everyone.

marksmith

99.9999% sure I will need a new Uniden GPS and the cable recommended here, I see no other way that my current setup will work with this new 325P2. I appreciate the assistance from everyone.
I still think you just need the right 9-pin d-shell cable to match what is coming off your garmin, with a USB on the other end. I don't know if such a thing exists or not but I also have a Garmin and will be looking around.

Interesting that when they went USB charging on the HP2, they left the GPS the same old mini connector. I have been using HP2 as my GPS mobile so have not noticed the change on the 325 until this thread.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Voyager

While it might be possible to adapt the round connector to a DB-9 (most likely what the Garmin has), I don't think any USB adapter would work.

Also, it's been posted why they went to USB charging (CEC regulations), and NMEA specifies a serial connection (not USB) so why would they switch to a non-standard format?

SCPD

QRT
Heard back from my coworker. As has been surmised, he confirmed that a stock BC-UTG cable will not work with a Garmin puck.

What will work is a modified BC-UTG cable. His goal was to be able to use this one cable for both the Garmin puck mounted in the company leased vehicle he uses and the Uniden puck in his personal vehicle.

He was able to accomplish for around $5.00 in additional purchases above the cost of the cable.

He stated if anyone is interested he would be happy to draw up the modifications needed, provide a parts list, tools needed and basic instructions.

At that point it would be up to you if you have the skills to complete the job. Coworker is an EE and PE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.