Scanner displays "Priority Scan. No Channel" - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Just after turning on the scanner, the scanner displays "Priority Scan. No Channel" even though there is a Priority TGID programmed. What do I need to do to stop getting this message? (Sorry if this is a dumb question but I see no mention of this in the less than optimal Owner's Manual)

Thanks in advance!

Dave :confused:

MStep

Just after turning on the scanner, the scanner displays "Priority Scan. No Channel" even though there is a Priority TGID programmed. What do I need to do to stop getting this message? (Sorry if this is a dumb question but I see no mention of this in the less than optimal Owner's Manual)

Thanks in advance!

Dave :confused:

The Priority function which you turn on and off with the Function + .no keys only turns on priority for conventional channels. Priority for talk groups are turned on through the trunked system's own programming menus.

So if you only have trunked systems scanning with no conventional channels scanning or with conventional channels scanning which have no priority channel(s) attached to any of them, you will get that message.

That priority function, the one you see as "PRI" next to the Close Call symbol on the display, is only for conventional channels. On other words, that "PRI" function only looks for conventional channel priority flags--- it's not looking for trunked talk-group priority flags.

It is a bit confusing at first, but it is the best system I have ever seen in a trunked scanner. Some day I will try to write up a more elaborate report on how the priority functions on the 436/536 actually operate.

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
MStep and mjs438, thanks for the replies. Slowly but surely I am learning the ins-and-outs of the BCD536HP scanner. One of these days I'll actually understand how everything works... LOL! Thanks again!!! 73, Dave K4EET

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A little more in addition to the above correct points. . .

Priority Scan is for conventional channels only. You have to have at least one conventional channel marked as a priority channel and that channel cannot be in an Avoided Favorites List/System/Department/Channel or the associated quick keys off.

For trunked systems this is Priority ID Scan. You'll have to set two things. One is Priority ID Scan On for the system with the talkgroup(s) you wish to be priority. The second is marking the channel to be priority (P-Ch On).

Here is something important. In conventional scanning, we are used to seeing a non-priority transmission being interupted every so often while the scanner checks the priority frequency for activity. If present, the scanner "jumps" to the priority frequency.

It doesn't work that way in most trunked systems. The scanner does not interupt a non-priority talkgroup transmission. Only when yhe scanner is "listening" to the control channel, will it check for activity on a priority talkgroup.

The next thought is "Well, that doesn't help much". Yeah it would be nice for that pre-emptive type of priority on all types of trunked systems, but it is what it is. However, i've found I can hold on a non-priority talkgroup and if it isn't active, the scanner will go to a priority talkgroup if it becomes active. Also if two simultaneous channel grants occur, then the scanner will go to one that may be a priority talkgroup.

(There's an exception to the above. On non-P25 Motorola systems, there is pre-emptive priorty ID scanning. However I'd say these days such sytems are less common.)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I just did some more checking. The Anne Arundel County system is a "true" Motorola system. So you might be in luck with that pre-emptive priority ID scanning.

For the pre-emptive priority to function, you'll have to mark the talkgroup as a priority talkgroup. Also, the system administrators must also have assigned the talkgroup to be a priority talkgroup. However, there is no way of determining which channels are system priority talkgroups in the RR database. Someone more familiar with this particular system will have to advise on that.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have tried DND and PRI and it says Priority Scan No Channel. It's Analog Motorola System. Now if I use the PRI on CONV. It will work. If I use the 800 system and sit on a TGID and have 1 PRI set it will jump to the PRI TGID if scanning it will not work

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I have tried DND and PRI and it says Priority Scan No Channel.

Priority Scan No Channel applies to conventional and not trunked systems. That message is telling you that you have turned on Priority Scan, but you have not told that scanner what channel you want to be a priority.

If I use the 800 system and sit on a TGID and have 1 PRI set it will jump to the PRI TGID if scanning it will not work

On Motorola systems, two things have to be in place. One is that you select a talkgroup to be a priority. The other is that they radio system's administrator has to mark the talkgroup as a priority. In both conditions are not present, then the scanner will not "jump" to an active priority channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.