BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Belt clip ... is it Okay???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samos2

I just got my scanner and I dont want to start off as a troublemaker ... but is there something flimsy about the belt clip. It doesnt seem to attach very firmly and I think it would become detached fairly easily if you weren't careful. Or is it just me being grumpy?
Thanks

PACNWDude

+1 on not trusting the belt clip. I have seen more of the plastic ones fail and snap apart near the screws.

Then I have seen all manner of metal clips cobbled together to replace the plastic one.

I use a nylon pouch for mine now, as all of the plastic clips broke years ago.

Voyager

The scanner locks into the clip and you have to turn the scanner sideways to unlock it or you risk breaking the locking clip. It's a design that has been used in the two-way industry for decades.

That said, I've never had good luck with the plastic belt clip and have usually broken the clip within a few months through normal use. Anymore I just use a nylon case on my belt, and use the button on the scanner to hang it on a metal mic clip in the car/truck.

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
In my experience the clip will break eventually even if you're very careful. I purchased a leather case from HRO and it has a metal clip on it. Haven't had any problems.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
I have good experience with the belt clip on this unit.
Though I use it briefly, twice a day, it feels sturdy.

When I attach the scanner to the belt clip, I always listen for a click, otherwise a piece of clothing might have gotten stuck in between and the scanner might popout. Other than that, it doesn't feel flimsy to me. I wear it on the hip.
To remove it, I turn it 90 degrees in order to get my finger under the radio to depress a clip and pop off the scanner. Pretty easy to do, but it's a firm clip, so it won't accidentally release.

No problems with the clip.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
When I previously had a 436HP, I didn't like the fact that the knob on back of the scanner "locked" into the clip, so I took a pair of needle nosed pliers and broke off the locking tip of the clip. I have another 436 on its way (arriving tomorrow) and will probably do the same thing with its belt clip.

:)

Voyager

If postage weren't an issue, I would trade you some 'non-locking' clips for the locking ones. :D

The lock is what usually breaks on mine, and I don't trust it without the lock.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
About two months ago, the belt clip on my BCD436HP started showing stress cracks. Last night while picking up the radio, the belt clip broke in half where it says UNIDEN. The same thing happened to my BCD396XT a year or two ago. The belt clips are definitely not well made.

Eng74

I have always had the lock break off of the belt clip with the 330, 396, and the XT models. Those all have the metal button on the radio. The 436 has a plastic button. I haven't used it on the clip as much as the others but I have noticed the 436 the button gets loose with a little use and have to tighten the screw up.

jdcaples

Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP

I also purchased the hard leather case from Scanner Master. It's marked in several places with the character string, "caseguys.net."

I haven't seen many pictures of this product so here are a few.

The leather is 2.5 mm thick. That's a little thicker than two dimes on a flat surface, stacked one on top of the other.

If you've handled a holstered side arm, you know the kind of confidence hard leather inspires. It's the same with this case.

I can be quite hard on my things.

Just today I noticed that I casually dropped my scanner into the driver door cup holder (it's a 2007 Sprinter with a very big, very deep cup holder in the door's molding).

I'd have a scratched screen if it weren't for this case.

What I do: I attach the belt clip to the case and slide it onto my belt. If I need to fiddle with the scanner, I invert it (antenna down) and the clip stays on the belt, but with upward pressure, the scanner comes away.

To reattach it, invert the scanner, slide the keyed attachment into the belt clip. It makes a positive locking sound and the scanner safely spins itself upright.

-Jon

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 550
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 459
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:

jsmn4vu

When I previously had a 436HP, I didn't like the fact that the knob on back of the scanner "locked" into the clip, so I took a pair of needle nosed pliers and broke off the locking tip of the clip. I have another 436 on its way (arriving tomorrow) and will probably do the same thing with its belt clip.:)

It only locks when it's hanging downward. Rotate it 180 degrees, and it slides out freely.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When I previously had a 436HP, I didn't like the fact that the knob on back of the scanner "locked" into the clip, so I took a pair of needle nosed pliers and broke off the locking tip of the clip.

Turn the scanner upside down and the clip unlocks.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Turning the scanner upside down is an unlikely thing to happen when the scanner is clipped to the belt. It's reasonable to assume that a belt clip is for wearing the scanner on a belt.

It's also bad practice, for several reasons, to clip a scanner to the visor. Have you ever heard of a RAM mount?

Status
Not open for further replies.