Uniden server down for firmware-db updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowleyd102

Premium Subscriber
At 1645 CST 6 Nov 2015, the Uniden server is timing out for downloads. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

Dave Crowley

Attachments

• Server Timeout.JPG
    Server Timeout.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 1,059

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to install the USB cable driver and receive a message: Unable to connect to Remote Server. This is at 23:25 on FRI 11/06. Damn, can't believe I must be connected just to install a driver. Obviously I am connected to the 'net to be able to post this message. Not good :(

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to install the USB cable driver and receive a message: Unable to connect to Remote Server. This is at 23:25 on FRI 11/06. Damn, can't believe I must be connected just to install a driver. Obviously I am connected to the 'net to be able to post this message. Not good :(

You don't need a USB cable driver for the x36 scanners. Unless you are doing something with the serial mode. To load the scanner with sentinel the scanner should be set to USB mass storage mode (no driver needed). The sd card in the scanner will look like a USB flash drive to the computer.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
BCD996P2

You don't need a USB cable driver for the x36 scanners. Unless you are doing something with the serial mode. To load the scanner with sentinel the scanner should be set to USB mass storage mode (no driver needed). The sd card in the scanner will look like a USB flash drive to the computer.
I am programming a BCD996P2, not x36. I was able to find a copy of the driver cable and install that. It enabled my ability to program the scanner. But when I tried earlier today, the software was still unable to connect to the site for a f/w update.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I am programming a BCD996P2, not x36. I was able to find a copy of the driver cable and install that. It enabled my ability to program the scanner. But when I tried earlier today, the software was still unable to connect to the site for a f/w update.

Sorry about that... You did not state what scanner... Assumed x36 series...

If your not able to connect to the site check your firewall settings... Especially if it's windows 10.

Voyager

It would be more accurate to say the driver is usually installed with Windows as it is a standard mass storage driver. No CUSTOM driver is required.

As for the assumption of an x36, this was posted with the tag of BCD536HP, so I can see how someone may not realize the thread was hijacked.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The thread title is "Uniden server down for firmware-db updates". I am experiencing that with a BCD996P2. Didn't know the thread was only related to a specific model or family, sorry.

My original issue was not being able to even load a serial driver. The Uniden documentation states to just plug in the cable and it will load. It didn't and gave me a message similar to this thread's title. I worked my way past that manually.

However, I still get the above message when attempting to update firmware. Does Uniden expect me to turn off my firewall/etc to do a f/w update? Even if that is SOP, they are not providing me the details of what is needed. I'd probably have to open up a port on my router as well.

I'd much rather be able to d/l a file and program it into the scanner. This is how the GRE & RS brands have worked. Crazy that I even need to do an update since scanner is brand new yet f/w not. Thanks for advice.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Did you put the scanner in firmware update mode?
Yes. Funny thing; I get the same message about not being able to connect to the web site with any of the following:
- Scanner connected in update mode
- Scanner connected normal mode
- No scanner connected
- Logged onto the net at home
- Logged onto the net at the office

I guess next I'll try another computer too (different firewall software)

Voyager

Yep. It might be the firewall not allowing file transfers.

Or, you can simply disable the firewall temporarily while you DL the file.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Yes looks like the major reason I was getting the error 'unable to connect to web site' is because of firewall software on the specific laptop I was trying to use. I did finally get this to work on a separate system, but not w/o issues.

The software is very picky about when a port is available and the mode the scanner is in. I find it odd that the software prompts to make sure the scanner is on before proceeding, yet if it wasn't already on when you reach that point, the process failed.

If the progress bars are a true indication of what is happening, it is very scary. My Flash was completely erased before the new f/w 'file' had downloaded. Great way to brick a scanner as so many things can go wrong at that point.

Thanks for your help.

Emoney250

firmware info

Can someone please provide a link to a page that provides SPECIFIC information for these updates. I update my firmware also and would like to know what it changes on my BCD536HP.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.