BCD536HP Tone Out Mode Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJFFDisp

Premium Subscriber
Over the weekend I spent some time and I uploaded about 25 local fire department tones via the Sentinel software. Over the past few days, I was interested to see how the tone out feature works, but I found that when I activated the feature, it would only scan for the tones I programmed from the first frequency. Of the 25 tones I have programmed it included 5 different conventional frequencies.

Is there feature able to scan more than one conventional frequency? If so did I do something wrong?

I also noted that the scan speed for the tones is very slow. Has anyone else had this problem in this mode?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To capture a tone-out, the scanner cannot change frequencies. If you select a tone-out, the scanner will check for all tone sets that are on that frequency and where all other settings are the same.

The display is just toggling, nothing is scanning in that mode. It does not have to be displaying the particular tone set at the time the tone-out arrives for it to activate. Basically "eye candy."

Dave520

Premium Subscriber
UPMan,
How accurate is the tone out search? Does it match it to a table of some sort or does it give the actual tone that is being generated. I am getting some small difference between the scanner and an APP that I am using called "Radio ID". The app looks just at "Quick Call II" and not at others like Quick Call I or Reach or Plectron. Trying to get the most accurate information and any help would be appreciated!
Thank you!
Dave

PS I am using a 396XT and not a 536.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
To capture a tone-out, the scanner cannot change frequencies. If you select a tone-out, the scanner will check for all tone sets that are on that frequency and where all other settings are the same....

So to expand on the OP's question, if you program more than one frequency for Tone-Out Alert, is there a way to choose which one you monitor at any particular time, or do you have to totally reprogram the feature every time you want to switch frequencies? (I have a 436 if that makes a difference, but I'm guessing it's the same.)

Voyager

How accurate is the tone out search?

The scanner displays what it got as the tone, but this has a tolerance at the encoder and can be affected by noise and other issues. The decoded tone will generally be within about 0.5 Hz of the actual tone. Since there are so many formats, a table rounding may do more hard than good.

Voyager

FTO will only monitor one RF frequency at a time. That will be the one you have selected on the display. It will monitor any other FTO slots programmed with the same RF frequency and same mode.

And for the nit pickers, yes I know I'm effectively saying "Radio Frequency frequency"... I mentioned RF to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.