Missing Talkgroup Transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I'd like the '536 experts to check me on this one...

I have a fairly new BCD536HP that appears to be missing some talkgroup transmissions on a (very) local P25 system. This occurs even when locked to the system in question. I discovered this by monitoring the same talkgroups with a BCD436 and double-checked that the talkgroups were actually active with Unitrunker.

I also noticed that the signal strength indicator on the display blinks on and off randomly, even though the signal appears to be a full-strength one. I would expect the indicator to go on and off as the radio scans through other systems or conventional channels, but it also does this when it is *locked* on to the desired P25 system, and even the specific site itself.

I have checked for Priority, WX, and Close-Call sampling and all are set to OFF, and I have confirmed that the appropriate service types are selected. For the most part, the radio works well on these particular talkgroups and ALL of them work some of the time, but all of them aren't heard ALL of the time.

Why is this scanner failing to stop on valid talkgroups? Do I need to send this one to Uniden for service? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this oddity.

Thanks for any input.

- John

crash1

i`m having the same problem phase 1 talkgroup on phase 2 system there is no hang time on phase 2 systems the control ch drops off and i miss the transmission

Emoney250

I will go out on a limb here. Mine does the same thing (when I lock onto a TGRP, sometimes I miss replies and such). I would imagine that eventhough I am on HOLD mode, the scanner is still SCANNING all the SITES I have programmed? I have seen posts regarding holding your scanner on ONE SITE ONLY, as well as HOLD on a TGRP. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

troymail

Silent Key
I have a 536 and 325 sitting about 5 feet apart monitoring a single site of my state P25 Phase 2 system. Neither radio is picking up everything - rarely do I hear the same conversation on both radios and when I do, one or the other usually is delayed in receiving. To be clear, one radio hears things and the other just keeps scanning....

Reception overall on this system seems to be worse than normal today - I'm wondering in my case if the snow on the ground is affecting reception.... but it's never really all that good.

MFCJR

I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I noticed on my local phase 2 TDMA system I would miss transmissions mostly on the fire TGRP's on my 536 HP. Then I noticed my psr-800 would receive something the 536 would not. The psr-800 picks up patched TGRP's and the 536 does not. I took the 3 patched TGRP's the psr-800 would show for the fire dept. and entered them into the 536. Now I see the patched TGRP's I entered at times and don't miss much anymore. I wish the 536 did patch TGRP's like the psr-800.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I noticed on my local phase 2 TDMA system I would miss transmissions mostly on the fire TGRP's on my 536 HP. Then I noticed my psr-800 would receive something the 536 would not. The psr-800 picks up patched TGRP's and the 536 does not. I took the 3 patched TGRP's the psr-800 would show for the fire dept. and entered them into the 536. Now I see the patched TGRP's I entered at times and don't miss much anymore. I wish the 536 did patch TGRP's like the psr-800.

In my case, these are just normal, everyday talkgroups.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I'd like the '536 experts to check me on this one...

I have a fairly new BCD536HP that appears to be missing some talkgroup transmissions on a (very) local P25 system. This occurs even when locked to the system in question. I discovered this by monitoring the same talkgroups with a BCD436 and double-checked that the talkgroups were actually active with Unitrunker.

I also noticed that the signal strength indicator on the display blinks on and off randomly, even though the signal appears to be a full-strength one. I would expect the indicator to go on and off as the radio scans through other systems or conventional channels, but it also does this when it is *locked* on to the desired P25 system, and even the specific site itself.

I have checked for Priority, WX, and Close-Call sampling and all are set to OFF, and I have confirmed that the appropriate service types are selected. For the most part, the radio works well on these particular talkgroups and ALL of them work some of the time, but all of them aren't heard ALL of the time.

Why is this scanner failing to stop on valid talkgroups? Do I need to send this one to Uniden for service? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this oddity.

Thanks for any input.

- John

Is this a simulcast system? They can be particularly difficult to get a good, decodable signal from, especially if its P25 Phase II. That might explain your fluctuating indicator. Also, are your 536 and 436 using the same antenna? Unless they are actually connected to the same antenna using a multicoupler, the two radios can yield different results. Even moving a radio a few inches one way or another on a table can make a big difference in reception. If simulcast is your problem there are a lot of things you can do to help. A different antenna, changing your P25 settings in the radio, lowering your squelch threshold, updating to the latest firmware, these are all things that may help. It can take quite a bit of trial and error to discover a solution, but persistence usually pays off.

Status
Not open for further replies.