HP-2: Lt. Uhura, anything at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrogoth13

Deaf is such a strong word. I set my HP-2 to the Ham radio bank and it hears nothing. Other VHF and UHF banks work fine. I set the squelch to 2 bars. Range is set to max and the attenuator is off. The stock antenna is on and working. I live in an RF rich area. My Anytone hears all kinds of Ham traffic, but not my HP-2. Zero. Zip.

Ideas please!

mciupa

Have you checked if Set Service Type has Ham highlighted in orange?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
What is currently in the database is only one 2M repeater for all of L.A. county. Los Angeles County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
I'm sure there are others, but haven't been submitted to the database to be added, which in turn is what the HP1 uses.

The other ham stuff is the nationwide which at least I know in my area isn't really used. So that's all your HP1 has to tune in, short of if able to get adjacent counties, I can understand why there isn't anything.

If you know of any ham repeaters in the area, submit em to us, they will be added, then you can update sentinel which in turn you can update the HP1.

Alternatively any cheap analog scanner can tune in the ham frequencies, minus shortwave, just do a ham frequency band search with it.

Last edited:

Astrogoth13

What is currently in the database is only one 2M repeater for all of L.A. county. Los Angeles County, California (CA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
I'm sure there are others, but haven't been submitted to the database to be added, which in turn is what the HP1 uses.

The other ham stuff is the nationwide which at least I know in my area isn't really used. So that's all your HP1 has to tune in, short of if able to get adjacent counties, I can understand why there isn't anything.

If you know of any ham repeaters in the area, submit em to us, they will be added, then you can update sentinel which in turn you can update the HP1.

Alternatively any cheap analog scanner can tune in the ham frequencies, minus shortwave, just do a ham frequency band search with it.

Well, that answers that question. And here I thought the RR database was nearly complete. My bad.
There are hundreds of Ham repeaters within range of central Los Angeles. Far too many for me to help you with.

rcool101

Feed Provider
:roll:
Sorry to offend you. This was what I rsponded to:

Sometimes the simplest answers are the most overlooked. You provided no information about your settings, and in the absence of knowledge about the RRDB being insufficient in your area, I was offering an idea.
Of Coarse you were....:D................:roll:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Well, that answers that question. And here I thought the RR database was nearly complete. My bad.
There are hundreds of Ham repeaters within range of central Los Angeles. Far too many for me to help you with.

The RR.com database relies on Volunteer submissions to stay up to date...it seems like in your above post that you are on one hand criticizing the database for not being complete and accurate while in the next sentence saying "too much work for me to help make the database any better". If everyone had that attitude then there would not be any RR database at all.
How about contributing to make the database better?
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
In my area as well, the RR database lists very few ham repeaters. I've found that Repeaterbook.com (https://www.repeaterbook.com/index.php?state_id=none) seems to be the most complete and up-to-date source for this info. You can search their db based on your zip code, and a distance range of your choosing, and get a very good list from which you can build a custom favorites list for your scanner. It's a great resource.

Astrogoth13

In my area as well, the RR database lists very few ham repeaters. I've found that Repeaterbook.com (https://www.repeaterbook.com/index.php?state_id=none) seems to be the most complete and up-to-date source for this info. You can search their db based on your zip code, and a distance range of your choosing, and get a very good list from which you can build a custom favorites list for your scanner. It's a great resource.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I uploaded a dozen high coverage and busy repeaters in the SoCal area. I couldn't stand the idea of a $400 scanner only hearing one ham repeater. And a quiet one too!

mciupa

Will you help us by submitting the confirmed hits that you get to the RadioReference database?

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Here's a sample Repeaterbook proximity search result, set for the L.A. zip of 90071, and radius of 25 miles:

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeat...d=%&use=%&order=`state_id`,+`loc`,+`call`+ASC

You can sort the list by clicking on any of the headers.

You can also drill down for repeater specific info by clicking on a frequency. Those results will look like this page:

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=06&ID=249

Notice how for that particular repeater you get this piece of information: "Tone In/Out: 114.8 / 114.8"

That's a very useful piece of information. Unfortunately, the one caveat with Repeaterbook is most of the entries show only the input PL tone. Most ham repeaters use the same tone for input and output, so in most cases that's fine, but not all repeaters are set up that way. There are quite a few that use an input PL tone, but the output is CSQ. Often you won't get that important piece of info from Repeaterbook. So if you program all the listed PL tones into your scanner you will not hear a peep from one of the 'CSQ out' repeaters because the PL tone is blocking it. Same goes for those few repeaters that use different input and output tones.

What I like to do is set up my favorites list with all the Repeaterbook frequencies set to tone search, then include the call sign and the listed PL tone in the Alpha Tag. Then as I scan, when the radio finds a used PL tone that matches my alpha tag I'll hit the 'Enter' button and save the tone. If the found tone doesn't match up to the Alpha Tag I'll add the found tone info to the Alpha Tag, but leave that channel set to tone search. Now I'll have to try to figure out if that repeater just uses a different output tone than is listed at RB (pretty common), or if perhaps I am picking up some other repeater all together, maybe one from way down the valley or something. Often I will eventually catch a repeater ID that confirms one way or the other.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Astrogoth13

I wonder why Uniden Inc. lets the main selling point of several of their high end scanners be administered so badly. One ham repeater out of hundreds in a county of 10 Million people?
If they have a contract with RR that lack of due diligance breaks it and that's only the ham bank. What about all the others? I sent an email to Uniden legal today to see what their POV is on this issue. We shall see.

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
Deaf or dumb?

Wow.
I'm sorry your scanner can't pick up the "ham" band.
As a licensed amateur radio operator, can't you figure out how to make this work?
Isn't that what ham radio is all about? Geez.
There are plenty of places in the Uniden tavern to spill your misery.

Its only a hobby, why don't you TRY and make it work......
Read the manual and figure out how to search 144 to 148. That's a start.

My 536 is an amazing radio.
GPS enabled Springfield, IL to Pittsburgh, heard everything, statewide P25 systems, simulcast decode , yep, no problem.
BUT I made my own favorites list, and spent time configuring it the way I wanted.
It worked, I'm surprised how well it worked. The RR database is key.

Maybe it is too much for you, the learning curve is kinda steep but, I never complained.
I just wanted to hear stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.