Auto power on in Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffycc

If I get the cigarette lighter plug for the BCD396XT, will the scanner auto power when the vehicle turns on?
Thanks!
Jeff

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Only if your lighter goes on and off with the ignition. That said I believe the 396 uses a sim card, if so you do not want to just switch off the power W/O powering the radio OFF.

W6KRU

The 396 does not have a SIM so forget that. The 396 will not turn on with the application of power. If you turn it off by removing power it can lose settings made while power was on.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Only if your lighter goes on and off with the ignition. That said I believe the 396 uses a sim card, if so you do not want to just switch off the power W/O powering the radio OFF.

Not exactly. The 396XT requires a deliberate step to power on. It has nothing to detect "incoming" power for activation purposes.

If it did, then the scanner would power on whenever someone plugged in the AC adpater to charge batteries.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you turn it on w/external power applied and no batteries. Then remove power. When power resumes the scanner will power on.

Status
Not open for further replies.