BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Charge complete - really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

The Uniden website says that the unit requires a 50-hour initial charge cycle so that the clock function will work properly.

After charging my new unit for about 12 hours, the display says, "Charge Complete". I presume this refers to the main batteries. Evidently charging stops when this message appears, so how does one accomplish a 50-hour charge?

wmbio

rtc battery charge

To charge the onboard battery for the first time for the rtc clock, the scanner must be turned on for 50 hours and connected to the external charger per UPMAN.. Your mileage may vary per the many posts on this issue.

Enjoy
Wmbio

marksmith

It still charges the clock battery inboard when charging stops on your rechargeable batteries.

By the way, that message should just read "it has been x hours since you started charging" as the radio has no idea about the charging state of the batteries

Radio has no circuitry that tells the radio about the charging state of the batteries. Its just a timer that you set for x hours..

Strongly suggest you use external charger that has some brains when it comes to charging rechargeable batteries.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The Uniden website says that the unit requires a 50-hour initial charge cycle so that the clock function will work properly.

After charging my new unit for about 12 hours, the display says, "Charge Complete". I presume this refers to the main batteries. Evidently charging stops when this message appears, so how does one accomplish a 50-hour charge?

"Charge Complete" on an x36 simply means that the time set in "Set Charge Time" in Settings has elapsed since the radio was plugged in to external power (and "Yes" was said to start charging).

As was said by others, the internal battery (which is the one that requires the 50-hour charge) is charged by leaving the scanner plugged in and turned ON, i.e. scanning and receiving signals, for that 50 hour period.

D

darunimal

As Jay911 said, keeping it Powered ON for 50 hours, whether that's a combination of batteries or power cord, you should be set and ready to go. After 7-14 days the RTC (real time clock) battery, with the scanner having no use, or off, the RTC/CMOS battery could be drained and the scanner will ask you at Start Up to Set the Time, which is an important part for the scanner to name files for the Replay and the Record function, to allow them to work correctly.

Don't use the internal to charge rechargeable batteries, unless in a pinch, it's really a dumb charger and can burn up a pair of rechargeables batteries in one charge. Use a highly recommended Battery Charger like the Maha MH-C9000; a much smarter a careful charger: allowing long term use of rechargeable batteries, some have reported more than a year of use with one 4 pack: eneloops are the preferred brand of many users here but are often copied and faked; checkout amazon for additional reviews and details for both.

D

DaveNF2G

I don't usually use rechargeable batteries in my scanners anyway, but the ones that came with the 436 were handy so I put them in. During normal operations it will have alkalines in it.

D

darunimal

Maha MH-C9000; a much smarter and careful charger: allowing long term use of rechargeable batteries, some have reported more than a year of use with one 4 pack: eneloops. As well as 2 4-packs will save lots of money over the life of the scanner and will give nearly the same battery life 80-95%.

Status
Not open for further replies.