BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Software downloaded. Not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR85

I just got the P2 today. I installed the driver as you can see in the picture. I'm trying to run either Freescan or ARC XT. And With ARC XT it's saying that another program is in use. With Freescan it says Freescan cannot establish a connection.

Did I miss a step? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Computer is Windows Vista

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 512

NFR85

Scanner is going back the external speaker does not work can barely hear. Did research and is a known problem.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
There is no known issue with using an external speaker with the BCD996P2.

NFR85

There is no known issue with using an external speaker with the BCD996P2.

Mine is being returned back because when I hooked up in the back I can barely make out what was being said. I even checked multiple speakers with the same result so I think I got a dud.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Confirm you connected to Ext. Sp. (amplified) and not Rec Out (low-level).

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I just got the P2 today. I installed the driver as you can see in the picture. I'm trying to run either Freescan or ARC XT. And With ARC XT it's saying that another program is in use. With Freescan it says Freescan cannot establish a connection.

Did I miss a step? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Computer is Windows Vista

Curious, what version of Windows?

With the scanner turned ON, try shutting down Windows, as in turn OFF your PC, not just a restart. Then while the scanner is still ON, turn the PC back ON, and try it.

My Windows 10 system loses the USB link to the scanner at times, and I've found it necessary to do this, to regain it.

NFR85

Curious, what version of Windows?

With the scanner turned ON, try shutting down Windows, as in turn OFF your PC, not just a restart. Then while the scanner is still ON, turn the PC back ON, and try it.

My Windows 10 system loses the USB link to the scanner at times, and I've found it necessary to do this, to regain it.

Vista and It's all packed to ship back for return.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Vista and It's all packed to ship back for return.

Wow, I thought hams were more persistent than that!

It sounds like there's nothing wrong with the scanner. It's more of a Windows problem. One that you will still likely with any other scanner, using the USB port interface.

Do you have any other devices connected to USB ports on your PC? Any other applications active, that use USB ports?

oldsailor56

Premium Subscriber
Did you get the right version of Freescan..........there is a beta version for the P2, the original version will not work with the new P2.

Voyager

Likely wasn't using the beta version of Freescan which is required for the P2 series, and was likely using the RECORD OUT jack which is designed for low level. But giving up after less than 24 hours? Wow. I know some want instant gratification, but wow.

NFR85

Likely wasn't using the beta version of Freescan which is required for the P2 series, and was likely using the RECORD OUT jack which is designed for low level. But giving up after less than 24 hours? Wow. I know some want instant gratification, but wow.

Because I spent alot of money on it. I wanted to play out my speakers but when I to listen I could barely hear anything. I figured I had it in loose. Same thing. Did some research on the RR forums and others have complained of that issues other saying its a new model needs to get the bugs out. I should have researched it a little further before buying it.

NFR85

Better yet.....get a Whistler!

Uniden thinks every body is a computer expert and a radio electronic tech.

Not a Whistler person. It looks like cheap Chinese plastic junk. Uniden doesn't have any of that on their radios. Always have been Uniden fan.

D

darunimal

Did you try an external amplified speaker, these scanners are now made to have lower level speaker outputs, hence an unamplified speaker has milli-watts going to it instead of 3watts, 0.3 watts to be exact all the newer scanners do this after 2008. Also in freescan there is a known issue where it does burps at a new scanner being connected to it the first time, you have to press connect 3-5 times after it's using the right com port, but after that it may hiccup 1 time everytime you reconnect it, you just press connect twice in 18seconds and it connects, and the connection could stay good for at least 60days after that. I have know idea why it burps and hiccups, then stays connected for days without issue, but it does.

As well as, you can't have 2 programming trying to look at the same com port at the same time

There is no known issue with the P2 speaker or speaker external output.

Also, Windows based computer have different on-board sound cards, all very different mixers and volume adjustments, if that was the other "potential issue" with it not being loud, we have no way of recommending adjustments for 90,000k different sound cards at least not here on this forum without more specifics.

D

darunimal

in fact there are NO known bugs, buses, blurps, or bleeping bleeps with this scanner, the BCD996P2 that is, unless you have threads with links proving otherwise.

NFR85

Did you try an external amplified speaker, these scanners are now made to have lower level speaker outputs, hence an unamplified speaker has milli-watts going to it instead of 3watts, 0.3 watts to be exact all the newer scanners do this after 2008. Also in freescan there is a known issue where it does burps at a new scanner being connected to it the first time, you have to press connect 3-5 times after it's using the right com port, but after that it may hiccup 1 time everytime you reconnect it, you just press connect twice in 18seconds and it connects, and the connection could stay good for at least 60days after that. I have know idea why it burps and hiccups, then stays connected for days without issue, but it does.

As well as, you can't have 2 programming trying to look at the same com port at the same time

There is no known issue with the P2 speaker or speaker external output.

Also, Windows based computer have different on-board sound cards, all very different mixers and volume adjustments, if that was the other "potential issue" with it not being loud, we have no way of recommending adjustments for 90,000k different sound cards at least not here on this forum without more specifics.

I kept trying to Freescan even restarted my PC several times. I no longer have this scanner.

D

darunimal

Well don't expect any difference with anything else, problems abound with connecting and speaker volume output, may not be much different, let us know if you get another one of the BCD996P2s and in fact the last one was a dud, because that can happen.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
Did you select the proper baud rate in both the scanner and freescan? If they don't match, it will never connect. It most likely was not the scanner. The 996P2 is pretty much bullet proof.

Mike

Voyager

Because I spent alot of money on it. I wanted to play out my speakers but when I to listen I could barely hear anything. I figured I had it in loose. Same thing. Did some research on the RR forums and others have complained of that issues other saying its a new model needs to get the bugs out. I should have researched it a little further before buying it.

If you wanted to use speakers, you should have connected to the external speaker jack. I bet you were using the record out jack which is line level and will not drive (non-amplified) speakers.

As was said, there are few if any known bugs in the P2 units. Certainly no hardware issues that you found. Either you had a singularly defective unit or you were using the wrong jack. Yes, I have read that others were using the wrong jack, but that does not make it a bug. That makes it multiple-user error. Too bad you didn't bother to ask and wait for a reply before sending it back.

NFR85

If you wanted to use speakers, you should have connected to the external speaker jack. I bet you were using the record out jack which is line level and will not drive (non-amplified) speakers.

As was said, there are few if any known bugs in the P2 units. Certainly no hardware issues that you found. Either you had a singularly defective unit or you were using the wrong jack. Yes, I have read that others were using the wrong jack, but that does not make it a bug. That makes it multiple-user error. Too bad you didn't bother to ask and wait for a reply before sending it back.

I was using the correct jack. Was using Ext Speaker. I even tried the front but it was worse with thumping noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.