DMR Improvement Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, the Fun Fridays aren't quite over. Before releasing this to distribution through Sentinel, we're going to test it over the weekend in beta. You are welcome to also test it. Understand that it might not result in improvements or it might actually result in degraded performance. That is why we're testing it, first. :p

1. Modified the display issue of P25 ENC reception
2. Improved the tracking in CAP Plus
3. Stabilization of the data decoding in all trunking DMR

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate/BCDx36HP_V1_11_16.zip

ecarvalho

Ok, the Fun Fridays aren't quite over. Before releasing this to distribution through Sentinel, we're going to test it over the weekend in beta. You are welcome to also test it. Understand that it might not result in improvements or it might actually result in degraded performance. That is why we're testing it, first. :p

I'm ready to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garys

Premium Subscriber
If we try the beta and find degraded performance, will we be able to revert back to the earlier version?

kma371

QRT
sorry, new to these 436 radios. how to we update the firmware without going through sentinel?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
sorry, new to these 436 radios. how to we update the firmware without going through sentinel?

Connect the radio to your computer in "Mass Storage" mode. Download and extract the file in the first post and copy it to the "Firmware" sub-folder (under the BCDx36HP folder) of your scanners SD card drive. Disconnect the scanner and it will install the FW.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
What? No password hunt? Ha!

Installed & seems to be working good..

Im noticing...

Scanning Holyoke Site Massachusetts OneVoiceNetwork...
This morning, I was scanning in search mode, was seeing
only the CON indicator - after the x16 release Im seeing the
DT3 flashing as well..
Same system..Had been getting zero to 1 bar , with good audio decode
now pulling solid 2 bars border to 3 and up to 5..and still very good, loud audio.

kma371

QRT
Connect the radio to your computer in "Mass Storage" mode. Download and extract the file in the first post and copy it to the "Firmware" sub-folder (under the BCDx36HP folder) of your scanners SD card drive. Disconnect the scanner and it will install the FW.

Thank you sir!

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
I still only have Provoice and DMR upgrade, the Nexedge option doesn't appear for me. Anyone else have this problem? :lol:

Thanks for not abandoning our Friday cravings yet! I've been using this about 30 minutes and have not noticed any degradation on the systems I follow.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I still only have Provoice and DMR upgrade, the Nexedge option doesn't appear for me. Anyone else have this problem? :lol:

Thanks for not abandoning our Friday cravings yet! I've been using this about 30 minutes and have not noticed any degradation on the systems I follow.

I was going to make a troll post about picking up NXDN, APRS, and the telemetry from the Mars rovers. Beat me to it.

campd715

Premium Subscriber
I have installed today's release (1.11.16) into my 536HP.

In reference to #1 below "Modified display issue of P25 ENC reception" I was hoping that that meant the radio (536HP) would display the UID of P25 ENC voice traffic. I looked for them in both a custom search setup and as a single channel P25 system, however, I do NOT see any UID's being displayed. So perhaps I am mistaken as to what I was hoping had been modified.

My fingers are still crossed...

Dennis

1. Modified the display issue of P25 ENC reception
2. Improved the tracking in CAP Plus
3. Stabilization of the data decoding in all trunking DMR

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/UnidenMan4/BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate/BCDx36HP_V1_11_16.zip

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
UPMan & Engineers

First and foremost, thank you for yet another opportunity to "blaze the trail" in Beta testing. I thought it was over, but not to disappoint, you surprised us again!

Now on to the "test". I decided to update my 536 with the 1.11.16 firmware, and leave my 436 with the 1.11.15 firmware to give it a try. My testing was done on the CAP+ system ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked License - WQPK636 - Southwest Airlines Company - Frequencies Summary
which I've been monitoring since day one. My location is 1/2 mile west of Midway Airport, and the system is somewhat weak per the FCC database. I'm running an outdoor antenna on the 536 and using the stock 436 antenna. Per the other thread, I did not use any copper tape on my battery cover, and my serial number started with a 6xxxx. I think I have one of the newer ones per the other thread so reception hasn't been an issue.

My programming and settings for the CAP+ system are identical and any changes I make, I duplicate via software. Squelch is set to 2, I was running it in ID Scan mode, with 17 active channels, UID's etc. Modulation was set at FM initially. I set both scanners to Hold on the Southwest Airlines system and ironically, storms are passing through Chicago during the test, and if you've ever listened to large airlines during the storm, you'll hear a lot of activity. "Lightning alerts" , "ground stops" etc. so it was an easy to give it a good test. I sat on it around 2 hours and took notes.

The results were surprising as I didn't realize how much traffic I was missing using the 1.11.15 firmware. The 536 running the 1.11.16 firmware was picking up a lot more of the transmissions. However to be fair, there were a few times the 436 was picking up transmissions, and the 536 was silent. I noticed this more when a transmission was "in progress" and the 436 already was sitting on the talk group, and it took the 536 a minute or two to pick it up or completely missed it . I did notice on the 436 when the talk group was sitting on slot 2, this was more troublesome for the 536 with the 1.11.16 firmware. I have a priority talkgroup set up and it was more likely to jump to it with the newer firmware then the older.

Prior to concluding my test, I changed the modulation to Auto on both scanners. While it didn't make a difference on the 436 running the 1.11.15 firmware, the 536 running the 1.11.16 firmware started picking up more of the slot 2 talkgroups the 436 was sitting on. It sort of "came to life" after the minor tweak.

So Paul and the engineers, there you have my unscientific, non-engineer type testing from my listening post in Chicago. I hope I gave some positive feedback, and maybe you'll be able to duplicate my findings. Thank you again, and good luck.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I have installed today's release (1.11.16) into my 536HP.

In reference to #1 below "Modified display issue of P25 ENC reception" I was hoping that that meant the radio (536HP) would display the UID of P25 ENC voice traffic. I looked for them in both a custom search setup and as a single channel P25 system, however, I do NOT see any UID's being displayed. So perhaps I am mistaken as to what I was hoping had been modified.

My fingers are still crossed...

Dennis

For what it's worth, I noticed that recordings of encrypted DMR included the RID/UID now, so maybe you have to look at the metadata in your recordings of P25 encrypted signals.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Marcus Communications in CT has started using one of the shared business frequencies in use at this OneVoice site for their own Hytera DMR TRS in CT. Not the fault of the scanner, you are hearing two control channel streams on the same frequency (or voice/data and a CC stream).

chris

Installed & seems to be working good..

Im noticing...

Scanning Holyoke Site Massachusetts OneVoiceNetwork...
This morning, I was scanning in search mode, was seeing
only the CON indicator - after the x16 release Im seeing the
DT3 flashing as well..
Same system..Had been getting zero to 1 bar , with good audio decode
now pulling solid 2 bars border to 3 and up to 5..and still very good, loud audio.

troymail

Silent Key
This may have always been a problem and not DMR specific but I'm seeing cases where the talkgroup and/or radio ID from the previous conversation is carried over and displayed on the next conversation - both on the display live and in recordings. I'm talking about cases where it's obvious that the radio ID is for a P25 system but the current conversation is say, a legacy Motorola system. Another example: talkgroup IDs from a CON+ system I monitor that has 5 digit talkgroup IDs showing up on a CAP+ system that uses 2 digit TGID.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What did this fix exactly? I am not getting UIDs on P25 ENC talkgroups like I was hoping.

That is a part of the P25 encryption function.
Intentionally put in place because someone thought that radio id's by themselves compromise security of the user.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.