BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Auto Shutoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelob

Just purchased this Uniden BCD436HP scanner and have a question. My wife falls asleep with the scanner on. I set it to Auto Shutoff after 1 hour, but every time I power on the unit, it reverts back to the Auto Shutoff function being set to off. It doesn't "remember" my 1 hour setting.
Is there a way to keep it set to power off after a specified time period permanently or until I change it?
Thanks,

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Have you tried setting the auto shutoff to 1 hour, and then powering down the scanner, powering it back up and checking if the setting is still there?
I have not tried it, but I wonder if when it auto shuts down it fails to write to the card the auto shutdown setting. So if you turn it off manually, it'll write it to the card, and then the next time it'll remember it. Could of course be similar to the record feature, never remembered...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just doing a quick test, it appears that Auto Shutoff is a one time thing. It has to be "re-activated" for each scanning session. It did remember a quick key lockout, so I guess it kind of behaves like a normal shutdown.

Whether Auto Shutoff should be a "remembered" thing or have to be set for each scanning session could be debated. I can see how some folks might always want their scanners to be automatically shut off. I'm in the "Mother I'd rather do it myself" camp. I can see me fussing why my scanner shut itself off. Then have to go through the turn it off process for extended listening.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
A lot of ham equipment has an option that if you haven't manually done something (pressed a key, changed channels, changed the volume, transmitted, etc.), it will shut itself off after a period of time that you set. It helps keep you from accidentally running the battery into the ground. That would be nice, but I haven't seen a scanner that would do that. Maybe in the next firmware? It could be done.

Another feature that would be nice is if it would turn on at a certain time, and off at a certain time, Again, haven't seen one that does this. We can wish for these features.

Nelob

Have you tried setting the auto shutoff to 1 hour, and then powering down the scanner, powering it back up and checking if the setting is still there?
I have not tried it, but I wonder if when it auto shuts down it fails to write to the card the auto shutdown setting. So if you turn it off manually, it'll write it to the card, and then the next time it'll remember it. Could of course be similar to the record feature, never remembered...
Yes, did try that, thank you for the suggestion. I think this would be a nice option for those of us that want the unit to shut off after so many hours and not need to do set it each time.. But I understand they can't please everyone.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.