i need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkrembs

I just got a bcd325p2 scanner and I am so lost on how to make it work its not like the old one I had where u just type in the numbers and it work so if someone can help me that would be great

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You might jump over to YouTube and search for bcd325p2. Several good videos there.

I'd suggest downloading FreeScan, a freeware program that can be used to program your scanners. Also several videos on this software. Trying to hand-program a "modern" scanner is very time consuming and mistakes come easy.

You might consider becoming an RR premium member. That way your programming software can access the RR database to download all the "stuff" needed to accurately program your scanner.

Most important thing to remember, pretty much everyone had to go through the learning curve you are entering. Patience and understanding things don't always go right the first couple of times, will be helpful.

K4EET

Chaplain
I just got a bcd325p2 scanner and I am so lost on how to make it work its not like the old one I had where u just type in the numbers and it work so if someone can help me that would be great

Just wanted to welcome you to Radio Reference...

73, Dave K4EET :)

teufler

As has been stated before, programming a new digital scanner by hand is like going to the dentist for a root canal without Novocain. If you have the cable, you need to join Radio reference, that will give you the information to get you up and running. At first the digital scanner manuals will become you new Bible . Takes maybe 3 weeks to get up and running unless there is a friend locally. Mean time, RadioReference will deliver you friends. Also download Freescan, Downloads - Sixspot Software download fssetup-218-b6.zip

lkrembs

I got most stuff download now but I seen people saying for a p25 scanner u must enter a NAC code is that true and if so how do I know what the nac code is for where I am at

teufler

If its a regular p25 repeater, one frequency, not trunking, yes there is a nac code. Only thing I see in Pierce Cty is Eatonville and Fife with a Nac code of 243. Perhaps that is common in the county so I would try that.

lkrembs

I still don't know how to pick up the police department around me I can pick up the fire department but not the police . its the pierce county sheriff department. these scanner now days are a lot of work to deal with I need all the help I can get

lkrembs

help

but do I go under conventional or trunked when I do it. then it ask me to pick Tacoma simulcast. all this stuff is all new to me

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
but do I go under conventional or trunked when I do it. then it ask me to pick Tacoma simulcast. all this stuff is all new to me
South Sound 911 Trunking System, Lakewood, Washington - Scanner Frequencies
To monitor talkgroups on that system, import it as a trunked system.

Look at the system in the database. On the database page, just below the line that says System Frequencies, is a line between that and the list of sites and their frequencies. At the far right of that line, you'll see a link labeled as RR Locations. Click on that link, and you'll see a map showing the approximate locations of each site (remember that the sites labeled as a 'simulcast' actually have more than one tower). Looking at that map, it appears that your location in Spanaway is probably best served by the Tacoma Simulcast site. So, select that site during the import process, as well as the talkgroups for your area of the county. I don't see individual Id's for your city, so use the ones for the part of the county you are in, plus any others on that system that interest you.

For more Washington State specific information, click on the red outlined triangle in one of your posts and request that this thread be moved to the Washington state forum.

teufler

pierce cty, wash

Try this, Freescan file, get Freescan with the link I posted earlier to you, File is zipped per Radio Reference Requirements. The new digital scanners can be very intimidating at first. A steep learning curved that sort of tapers off at 3 weeks.. The manual will be your new bed tim,e book fort awhile.

Attachments

• pierce cty wa.zip
    2 KB · Views: 12

lkrembs

help

I still don't know how to pick up the police department around me I can pick up the fire department but not the police . its the pierce county sheriff department. these scanner now days are a lot of work to deal with I need all the help I can get

I still cant pick up stuff I don't get out to work it I spent almost 30 hours trying to read up on stuff I am disable and don't learn stuff that well.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I still cant pick up stuff I don't get out to work it I spent almost 30 hours trying to read up on stuff I am disable and don't learn stuff that well.

There's a lot to learn to make a modern scanner receive a P25 trunked system. So go easy on yourself, you don't need to have it working today, or even this week for that matter. It's like eating an elephant - the only way to get there is by taking one bite at a time.

First thing you'll need to understand is how trunked radio systems work. Try this link, there's a good summary at the bottom:

Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki

Next you need to know a little about how your radio works:

Dynamic Memory Architecture - The RadioReference Wiki

Now you're ready to learn about the programming software:

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

This page will help you put all the pieces together:

Easier to Read BCD325P2 Digital Scanner Manual

It may take several afternoons to get thru all this stuff, but as long as you stick with it you will get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.