RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 2:12 PM

Default how to record with bcd996p2

i was wonder if it was possible for my bcd996p2 to record audio only when a certain group keys up for example local fire dept .. i have everything added and all quick keys are set up
Old 01-11-2017, 2:19 PM

The 996P2 does not have any native recording capability. You could, though, connect a voice activated recorder via the external speaker jack. With this, however, you would be recording all the audio your scanner receives.

I'm not sure if/how scanner control software handles recording, as I only use the software to program
Old 01-11-2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyFlyer View Post
The 996P2 does not have any native recording capability. You could, though, connect a voice activated recorder via the external speaker jack. With this, however, you would be recording all the audio your scanner receives.

I'm not sure if/how scanner control software handles recording, as I only use the software to program
according to their user guide it does and i saw the option in the software just not sure how to set it up
Old 01-11-2017, 2:24 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Arrow

The ID Tracker III software might support 996P2 scanner model.
http://www.ovscan.com/idtmirror/IDTracker.htm

ProScan supports the 996P2.
http://proscan.org
Old 01-11-2017, 2:29 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

As long as DMR systems are not in use, FreeSCAN would also work.

Just remember that in using the pc and software to record, audio is not recorded via the USB cable. Instead, use an audio patch cable to feed transmissions from the scanner to the mic, or line, input of your pc's sound card.
Old 01-11-2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiegtx View Post
As long as DMR systems are not in use, FreeSCAN would also work.

Just remember that in using the pc and software to record, audio is not recorded via the USB cable. Instead, use an audio patch cable to feed transmissions from the scanner to the mic, or line, input of your pc's sound card.
ah ok thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky43113 View Post
according to their user guide it does and i saw the option in the software just not sure how to set it up
Ah, I see the issue. When I say "native," I'm referring to the scanner actually doing the recording. The 996P2 does not have the capability. It does, however, allow you to select which channels to record. Recording must still be done by an external device.

In FreeScan, it's a setting under "Tape Out" you'll want to look for. Select "marked" for recording only the channels that you'll select later.

The attached image is one that I found online, as I don't have a copy of FreeScan installed on my current PC. Other programming software should allow you to do the same thing, as will programming manually.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2017, 2:45 PM

i got it working thanks guys the only thing is while recording I can not hear it but thats not a big deal i can just use an external speaker to fix that. Im a ufo investigator and when im out on an investigation i like the option of having this scanner record while im gone to see if i pick up any air traffic that could be related like military etc..
Old 01-11-2017, 3:40 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky43113 View Post
i got it working thanks guys the only thing is while recording I can not hear it but thats not a big deal i can just use an external speaker to fix that. Im a ufo investigator and when im out on an investigation i like the option of having this scanner record while im gone to see if i pick up any air traffic that could be related like military etc..
The exact setting, and it's location, will depend on your systems sound card and it's options.

On my pc, there is a setting to mute the speakers when recording. Check your audio settings and make sure that option (might be labeled different) is not selected.
Old 01-11-2017, 3:42 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Also, if the 996P2 has an audio 'line out' jack on the back panel, use that for recording instead of the headphone/speaker jack (I don't own this model, so unsure if it has a rear jack).
Old 01-11-2017, 5:05 PM

i got it working thanks everyone i had to use a splitter then unmute line in settings
Old 01-11-2017, 5:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You might want to look into PROSCAN also to make your 996p2 log record and be remote controllable
Old 01-11-2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddrousa View Post
You might want to look into PROSCAN also to make your 996p2 log record and be remote controllable
i can do all of that now other than be able to hear it remotely
Old 01-11-2017, 6:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I just like my PROSCAN better than FREESCAN plus I am using DMR P25 Phase 1 and 2.
I was just making you aware of something else and I am also running it 8 times on 8 different scanners on the same PC at the same time. I can sit at my Fire Station and do anything to my scanners that I can do at my scanner desk.
Old 01-11-2017, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddrousa View Post
I just like my PROSCAN better than FREESCAN plus I am using DMR P25 Phase 1 and 2.
I was just making you aware of something else and I am also running it 8 times on 8 different scanners on the same PC at the same time. I can sit at my Fire Station and do anything to my scanners that I can do at my scanner desk.
nice ill check into it