RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 6:22 AM

One thing that have changed with .27 for 536 are that when selecting to delete a recording you only have to push enter once, the text "really want to delete?" or whatever it says are only flashing by as it instantly begins to delete the file.

/Ubbe

edit: User error. I had the Siren app running and it didn't like that I controlled the scanner directly and sent an Enter on top of my own.
Case closed

Last edited by Ubbe; 04-21-2017 at 7:16 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 6:38 AM

Here is a pair of log files. There was a bunch of traffic on the Chambersburg school system, and in every case, the MotoTRBO system ignored it and the conventional system tried, but failed to decode it. The display showed CAP and Color 1, but kept jittering between S1 and S2, and no audio ever decoded.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgtZoKgvYQBB0eGZL3w

Another oddity apparently related to the timeslot jitter:
1 153.3875/1 CC 1 81 208 NFM 303 00:00:45 04/20/17 15:50:27 04/20/17 15:55:45 Chambersburg Area School District TRBO - _AllFreqs - Unknown - TGID:1 MotoTRBO Trunk CAP

303 hits, but a total traffic duration of only 45 seconds.

11 153.3875/1 CC 1 84 593 NFM 372 00:18:09 04/20/17 14:05:50 04/21/17 07:23:14 Chambersburg Area School District TRBO - _AllFreqs - Unknown - TGID:225 MotoTRBO Trunk CAP

372 hits, with traffic duration of 18 minutes and 9 seconds. Somewhat more reasonable, but still a suspiciously high number of keyups. That's an average transmission duration of less than 3 seconds, which is NOT correct for bus drivers reporting traffic tieups or coordinating schedule adjustments with dispatch.

11 153.3875/2 CC 1 85 575 NFM 68 00:06:03 04/20/17 12:36:38 04/20/17 14:05:41 Chambersburg Area School District CONV - Department 0000 - CHAMBERSBURG AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT 100FB8 YG Conventional CAP

68 hits, 6 minutes and 3 seconds of traffic. 5.3 seconds per transmission, which is a bit closer to reasonable.
Old 04-21-2017, 6:50 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I suggest at this point that this is not fixable for everyone with one firmware fix. There are different 436 with slightly different issues being discussed. While one firmware is fixing most issues with some it is not others and even causing more issues . I would be looking at the various production runs of the different scanners having different issues. Just like with the uhf noise issue that uniden fixed but never admitted to with quiet fix when also fixing the clock and backlight problems.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 7:09 AM

Here's a video of the problem in action:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgtZqxb6GLZrz-owdnw

I have an analog HT tuned to the Chambersburg freqs running in the background, so you can tell when traffic is being broadcast. The video starts with someone keying up. The MotoTRBO system tries to do something with it, and gives up at 0:09. The One Frequency system completely ignores the traffic. Then the conventional system takes a whack at it, and after jittering the timeslot for a while, it eventually decodes some audio starting at 0:31. You get most (but not all) of the conversation until 1:15, and then the scanner goes back to jittering the timeslot.

The problem is easiest to see in the small frequency display to the left of the scanner model number. It's refreshed more quickly than the flashing indicator in the main display.
Old 04-21-2017, 7:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I hate to bring this up again, but in my case anyway, it would be a huge help to be able to program conventional with TGID, Slot, and Color Code. As Milf mentioned, clearly there cannot be a fix for everyone via 1 firmware for all.

Every time a firmware is released, I hear less traffic using OFT. My false TGID issue is about resolved with .27, however, if I'm not hearing traffic it doesn't matter.

I'm back to scanning conventional programmed frequencies to hear traffic. I should mention that it does not seem to be a speed issue between OFT and conventional.
Old 04-21-2017, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbley View Post
I'm back to scanning conventional programmed frequencies to hear traffic.
That doesn't always work with .27. Watch my video.
Old 04-21-2017, 7:31 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

But, that was the point. What works for one doesn't always work for another. We'll never get a firmware that will work for each of our problems. I don't currently have the trouble most of you are having. My biggest complaint at .27 is not hearing much traffic using OFT. Of course my replay doesn't work either, but I don't use it.

I just think being able to program conventionally with TGID, Slot, and Color Code would be a good tool to have for many.

I wonder if there is simply a problem with CAP systems on the Uniden. I don't have any in my area, that I have found, to check.
Old 04-21-2017, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibbley View Post
But, that was the point. What works for one doesn't always work for another. We'll never get a firmware that will work for each of our problems. I don't currently have the trouble most of you are having.
It should be obvious to everyone that there are multiple bugs, which will require multiple fixes to multiple areas of the firmware to resolve. But that doesn't mean that you should fork the firmware development. Once all the bugs are fixed, the firmware will work for everyone.

Quote:
My biggest complaint at .27 is not hearing much traffic using OFT.
One Frequency isn't working at all for my test systems. The One Frequency system has never got a hit on Chambersburg school or Triangle Communications traffic, even though they are scanned as often as the MotoTRBO and conventional versions of that system. One system is Capacity Plus, and the other is Connect Plus.

Quote:
I just think being able to program conventionally with TGID, Slot, and Color Code would be a good tool to have for many.
No, it would be a kludge to work around firmware bugs, which affect conventional DMR channels as much as trunked systems.

Quote:
I wonder if there is simply a problem with CAP systems on the Uniden. I don't have any in my area, that I have found, to check.
And THAT is why you're not seeing the same issues I am; you aren't scanning the same types of systems I am.
Old 04-21-2017, 8:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Here's a video of the problem in action:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgtZqxb6GLZrz-owdnw

I have an analog HT tuned to the Chambersburg freqs running in the background, so you can tell when traffic is being broadcast. The video starts with someone keying up. The MotoTRBO system tries to do something with it, and gives up at 0:09. The One Frequency system completely ignores the traffic. Then the conventional system takes a whack at it, and after jittering the timeslot for a while, it eventually decodes some audio starting at 0:31. You get most (but not all) of the conversation until 1:15, and then the scanner goes back to jittering the timeslot.

The problem is easiest to see in the small frequency display to the left of the scanner model number. It's refreshed more quickly than the flashing indicator in the main display.
I think they may be sending data on the system. Probably a mapping system to know where the buses are located. Do you have DSD+ to see if one of the slots is actually sending data? The local ACCESS system here tracks their vehicles. DSD+ shows a the Voice slot and then data on the other slot. The analog scanner seems to be just about constantly receiving something. Which could indicate data.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 8:23 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Here is a pair of log files. There was a bunch of traffic on the Chambersburg school system, and in every case, the MotoTRBO system ignored it and the conventional system tried, but failed to decode it. The display showed CAP and Color 1, but kept jittering between S1 and S2, and no audio ever decoded.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgtZoKgvYQBB0eGZL3w

Another oddity apparently related to the timeslot jitter:
1 153.3875/1 CC 1 81 208 NFM 303 00:00:45 04/20/17 15:50:27 04/20/17 15:55:45 Chambersburg Area School District TRBO - _AllFreqs - Unknown - TGID:1 MotoTRBO Trunk CAP

303 hits, but a total traffic duration of only 45 seconds.

11 153.3875/1 CC 1 84 593 NFM 372 00:18:09 04/20/17 14:05:50 04/21/17 07:23:14 Chambersburg Area School District TRBO - _AllFreqs - Unknown - TGID:225 MotoTRBO Trunk CAP

372 hits, with traffic duration of 18 minutes and 9 seconds. Somewhat more reasonable, but still a suspiciously high number of keyups. That's an average transmission duration of less than 3 seconds, which is NOT correct for bus drivers reporting traffic tieups or coordinating schedule adjustments with dispatch.

11 153.3875/2 CC 1 85 575 NFM 68 00:06:03 04/20/17 12:36:38 04/20/17 14:05:41 Chambersburg Area School District CONV - Department 0000 - CHAMBERSBURG AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT 100FB8 YG Conventional CAP

68 hits, 6 minutes and 3 seconds of traffic. 5.3 seconds per transmission, which is a bit closer to reasonable.
According to the log, this radio traffic is probably encrypted. When the scanner detects the encryption flag, it skips the channel.
Old 04-21-2017, 8:25 AM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Never said fork it. Said time to look deeper. Time to check the scanners with issues production dates etc. There are much deeper issues here. There will be NO 1 firmware fix that solves all problems mentioned. I love the 436 I own but am not blind. There will never be just 1 firmware that will fix all 5 issues that this investigation is finding. Fixes will have to be specific to each issue and dollars to doughnuts its something also in hardware and related to production series. Or this would be universal and real easy to fix.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 8:39 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I think this user with Chambersburg school busses needs to use DSD+ or another way to test so we can compare results.
Has this system been confirmed to not have encryption, data or Hytera Pseudo trunking? (i think it would still decode properly with Pseudo Trunking but it would jump around time slots)

Im running .27 on one of my 2 436 units and its working .27 works better for me.
I have about 20 channels that are random DMR in the Dallas area and they all decode and work well.
Its working fine on a Cap plus and Con + system.
Dont have any D3 to test with.
Old 04-21-2017, 8:59 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

27 works fine for me on DT3, and all DMR/TRBO systems. "Wrong TG" issues I can't comment on because my recordings didn't work over the past week - probably my error, as things so far today look OK (though I haven't checked if the recordings are actually being written to the SD card - but it's unlikely that everything would work and they'd just not be written to the card, for one person when multiple others have said theirs is working OK).

The one TG oddity I see on one particular TRBO system (conventional, stored as OFT system) is that I consistently see calls which are picked up in the middle of the transmission (i.e. "late entry" receive) being displayed as, and stored in recordings as, tg 16777215 (see previous post by me with that in the subject line). I am doubting that it is legitimately using the 'all call' group as suggested by the replies in my separate thread as it is coming from both the dispatch console and field crews.
Old 04-21-2017, 9:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have seen that exact TG (1677215) on a OFT here also, but DSD+ reports that exact TG also. So I think that is what is being sent.
Old 04-21-2017, 9:45 AM

I can report Version 1.11.27 has resolved all issues I previously experienced on a busy CAP+ system on both my 536 and 436. I have recorded and played back on both units without issues.

I decided to try this morning, some business CAP+, CON+ systems too and can report they are trunking and following conversations much better.

I double checked a DMR One Frequency system I also have programmed and can also report, no decoding or recording issues on either unit.

I would not entertain any "bug reports" if someone does not have a system programmed correctly. It looks like Uniden is chasing their tail for a few here, but when you program correctly, it would seem to me easier to pinpoint an issue. To show a video of a CAP+ or CON+ system in conventional mode makes no sense to me. Watching the slots flash mean noting to me, since I'm monitoring a busy CAP+ system, holding talk groups like a trunking scanner should.

Then I saw the doozy...UPMan posted his logs show this system is encrypted. It's possibly not the best encryption if it's being decoded, but that makes sense.

One other tidbit I'd like to add, on the suggestion of UPMan, I replaced my SD cards with the high endurance 32gb on both scanners. Is that possibly the recording issues?

It would appear this school trunking system, if properly programmed, might be an anomaly. To say programming it in CAP+ or CON+ "doesn't work" sounds like their's the problem to begin with. It would appear this latest version nailed it, for alot of the problems that might not be a problem because they're trying to appease the minority of us having issues. Let's move on...maybe work on NXDN since Whistler is ahead on that game.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I believe the only outstanding question is for the Linked Capacity Plus type. Would be useful to get a log. I will be trying, today, but not sure if the system(s) in the area are receivable from my office and/or have traffic to check.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

UPMan, for good reference the MHZ UHF Con plus system in DFW is what i use for testing Con Plus.
I program in the 6 talkgroups for CF, and the texexpress talkgroups which are about 4 i think.. This give a good mix of busy activity.
A few months ago i ran search on 450-468 and found about 15 fairly active DMR OFT channels and those are what i also use for monitoring.
HP is close enough to me to test Cap plus along with Blair and Aerowave UHF Cap plus systems.
Keeping the code plugs identical in both my 436 units and one of them running .20 and the other .27 i am happy with .27 firmware.
Dont do recording or logging so cant test that for you.
Have not tested with any 800 Type 2 moto systems or Phase 1 or Phase 2 P25 systems wither. Im focusing on DMR testing.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Con plus, not an issue. Linked Capacity Plus is what I'm looking for...
Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Con plus, not an issue. Linked Capacity Plus is what I'm looking for...
Please, Do not for get the REPLAY not working in .27
Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

We have a linked cap + here in Memphis I can monitor it this weekend it's fairly busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro