RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat View Post
I think they may be sending data on the system. Probably a mapping system to know where the buses are located. Do you have DSD+ to see if one of the slots is actually sending data? The local ACCESS system here tracks their vehicles. DSD+ shows a the Voice slot and then data on the other slot. The analog scanner seems to be just about constantly receiving something. Which could indicate data.
GPS data packets sound like rest channel data chirps. They take less than a second to send. I highly doubt that the school buses have police-style mobile data terminals sending student dossiers or whatever; the voice traffic never mentions any such thing. The scanner is simply not decoding the voice data properly.

As far as activity, the system is busy in the morning and afternoon when the buses are running, but is pretty much dead the rest of the time.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 12:56 PM

[QUOTEI don't think the scanner is decoding the data properly.[/QUOTE]

I disagree Jonwienke. As I've previously posted, it appears this system is unique. Is the scanner working on any other CAP+ or CON+ system in your area? Can you show a video of a properly programmed and working MotoTRBO system. If not, maybe your scanner isn't working. UPMan has apparently moved on and is looking for logs from a Linked Capacity Plus system only. Program it in as CAP+ and take another video...I'd be curious to see that.
Old 04-21-2017, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werinshades View Post
Quote:
I don't think the scanner is decoding the data properly.
Program it in as CAP+ and take another video...I'd be curious to see that.
You can't. The only programming option is MotoTRBO, which includes Capacity+ and Connect+.

Last edited by jonwienke; 04-21-2017 at 1:13 PM..
Old 04-21-2017, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Program it in as CAP+ and take another video...I'd be curious to see that.
You can't. The only programming option is MotoTRBO, which includes Capacity+ and Connect+.[/QUOTE]

I'm aware, so program it as Cap+ or Con+ under the MotoTRBO banner.
Old 04-21-2017, 1:19 PM

Quote:
You can't. The only programming option is MotoTRBO, which includes Capacity+ and Connect+.
Quote:
I'm aware, so program it as Cap+ or Con+ under the MotoTRBO banner.
How? It's not an option when creating a new system, only MotoTRBO. And there's no parameter in the system settings for Cap+ or Con+.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 1:22 PM

Quote:
How? It's not an option when creating a new system, only MotoTRBO. And there's no parameter in the system settings for Cap+ or Con+.
Sentinel software? Edit Favorites List? Create a new Favorites List? MotoTRBO....have you ever done this?
Old 04-21-2017, 1:59 PM

Numerous times. There is nothing in Sentinel where you can specify that a MotoTRBO Trunked system is a Capacity+ or Connect+ system. The only option you can choose is MotoTRBO.
Old 04-21-2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Numerous times. There is nothing in Sentinel where you can specify that a MotoTRBO Trunked system is a Capacity+ or Connect+ system. The only option you can choose is MotoTRBO.
Right...as I said I know. But program it in and let's see the video. Programming a MotoTRBO Cap+ or Con+ system as Conventional isn't go to help us (or me) help you. You've been complaining about this for a long time, I understand it's frustrating but to not have it programmed optimally isn't going to help. You seem to be having a unique problem, and keying up a radio close by would make me think the scanner is overloading and not a decoding issue. I don't want to see an input frequency test, I'd like to see it programmed as it should be so maybe we can break this down instead of every firmware version I see "it's not decoding properly" complaint. Start from scratch and let's see what we can do.
Old 04-21-2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Right...as I said I know. But program it in and let's see the video. Programming a MotoTRBO Cap+ or Con+ system as Conventional isn't go to help us (or me) help you. You've been complaining about this for a long time, I understand it's frustrating but to not have it programmed optimally isn't going to help. You seem to be having a unique problem, and keying up a radio close by would make me think the scanner is overloading and not a decoding issue. I don't want to see an input frequency test, I'd like to see it programmed as it should be so maybe we can break this down instead of every firmware version I see "it's not decoding properly" complaint. Start from scratch and let's see what we can do.
I HAVE IT PROGRAMMED AS MOTOTRBO AND CONVENTIONAL AND ONE FREQUENCY. AND HAVE HAD ALL 3 VERSIONS OF THE SYSTEM IN MY TEST FL FROM THE BEGINNING. The reason you are seeing the conventional system in the videos is because the TRBO and OFT ststems are completely ignoring traffic, and so the conventional system picks it up.

Go back and rewatch the first video I posted this morning. You will see the TRBO version of the system detect traffic, fail to decode, then give up and resume scanning a few seconds later. The OFT version of the system makes a very brief appearance, but it doesn't even detect the fact there is traffic, and the scanner moves to the conventional version of the system less than a second later. Which proceeds to decode some of the traffic, but obviously has some major issues.

The test FL is set up so that the system is first scanned as TRBO, then OFT, then conventional. All three are failing to decode traffic properly. The conventional version misses the least traffic.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 2:47 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Honestly, I've lost track, and none of the video links have worked. But, if the system is a MotoTRBO (DT3, CAP+, CON+) but is programmed as another type (conventional, OFT), then those iterations are not interesting at all to me. They shouldn't work, as they don't match the type system being scanned.
Old 04-21-2017, 3:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
No, it is definitely NOT encrypted. Schenker Logistics is 100% encrypted, and the scanner will either show ENC or play a short burst of encryption garble when their users key up. The same happens if the scanner hears encrypted DMR simplex, except that sometimes it will play several seconds of encryption garble. I've never heard any indication of encryption on the school system, and users would have to be turning encryption on and off randomly in mid-conversation for that to be the problem.

I don't think the scanner is decoding the data properly.

I've done some additional testing with a MD-390, and with .27, the scanner decodes less than 5% of unencrypted transmitted traffic. In this video, I keyed the mic for 45 seconds, and the scanner only decoded about 0.2 seconds of audio just before the end of the clip:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgtZtGWavKHNr9H_C_Q

And before anyone gets butthurt about running DMR on a GMRS channel, I had a dummy load on the MD-390 AND was running it on low power. I also had the scanner antenna removed to prevent overloading the receiver. I also tried a RH77CA on the scanner to see if that made any difference, and it did not. Distance between the scanner was about 3 feet. I also tried TXing while walking into the next room, both with and without an antenna on the scanner. No difference.

TX was on 467.7000, color code 14, slot 1. Note the wild fluctuations in the signal strength meter.

Here is a similar clip; everything is the same, except encryption is turned on. The scanner actually decodes more audio than when it was unencrypted:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgtZuPYC1w3TJMC5uDw

Again, the signal strength meter fluctuates wildly, and the scanner only intermittently shows a color code. It clearly recognizes the presence of a signal, because in both clips the scanner stops scanning, and doesn't resume until the transmitter unkeys. Given that the transmitter had a dummy load and the scanner had no antenna, overloading is not likely, especially given that moving the transmitter into the next room had no effect on decode reliability.
I think the signal meter will fluctuate on DMR simplex. It is not a carrier it is a pulse. I cannot verify that but that is how I would expect it to behave.

Digital Threshold Mode = Manual
Digital Threshold Level of 6 or 8

These work well for me on DMR Simplex

Since we are sort of off topic from the intent of the thread. I will leave it at that.
Old 04-21-2017, 3:07 PM

Cool

I saw the video links, and my first suspicion is it's not programmed correctly. I'd return to the Sentinel program and start from scratch. During Search of the band of the 150 Mhz. band, when these frequencies come up, what is indicated...DMR, CAP+, CON? If DMR shows up, then reprogram it as DMR One Frequency, anything else MotoTRBO. I know...you're going to say I Did that! Do it again from scratch! Take your time...make sure it's in ID Search mode. If it's MotoTBO, re-check LCN's..or just change them around. Most of us are not experiencing the same issues as you, so I'd go back to the old drawing board. Yes, I've screwed up my programming more than once so it's ok. Make sure the Site has a number assigned to it and a check mark indicates it's active (This is one of my common errors, and I've been at this a long time). The latest version works...it's decoding. It's probably user end issue, sorry to say it again.

Screen shot your Sentinel program for this entire system too...that will help. Come on man, we're working with you!
Old 04-21-2017, 4:08 PM

Re-watch my video. The signal shows up as CAP. It's in ID search mode. I re-ran LCN Finder for each new firmware version. Obviously the site is active, it's showing on-screen when traffic is occurring. I've done my homework, I'm not a n00b at this, and I've triple-checked everything.

I've even posted my FL programming. Go download it, and look it over. If you find an error, we can have a discussion about it. But otherwise, you're not being helpful here.

I've programmed the school system 3 different ways--TRBO, One Freq, and conventional. NONE of them are working properly. I've got other DMR systems that are working, so I know I know how to properly program things. This one system is simply problematic.

And DMR simplex doesn't work right, either, per the last 2 videos I posted. So that's another indication that DMR decoding is not working right.
Old 04-21-2017, 4:24 PM

Can you post screen shots of your Sentinel programming?
Old 04-21-2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Can you post screen shots of your Sentinel programming?
I've done better than that, I've posted a .hpe file of the actual favorite list, which shows more than you can capture in a screenshot.
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 10:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

here are the log files for integrated wireless UPMAN, in memphis, they operate several sites and i believe they are linked, had to head to Dallas for a monday pickup, so wasnt able to do more

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvvlhzhe8y...glogs.zip?dl=0
Old 04-21-2017, 10:30 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I noticed this morning on 436hp replay doesn't work. But the 536 replay works. I'm switching back to older fw for now.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo14 View Post
I noticed this morning on 436hp replay doesn't work. But the 536 replay works. I'm switching back to older fw for now.
1.11.27 recording and replay working on both 436/536. As I previously posted, I also use the 32gb high endurance Transcend SD card recommended by Uniden on both scanners.

CAP+, CON+ DMR One Frequency also working very well. Just wanted to say it again...lol!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
1.11.27 recording and replay working on both 436/536. As I previously posted, I also use the 32gb high endurance Transcend SD card recommended by Uniden on both scanners.

CAP+, CON+ DMR One Frequency also working very well. Just wanted to say it again...lol!
I agree .27 is working well. Just to clarify, I can playback my recordings but the REPLAY function does not work. My settings are set to 60 sec. Several others report REPLAY not working either. I wonder why yours is working?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat View Post
I agree .27 is working well. Just to clarify, I can playback my recordings but the REPLAY function does not work. My settings are set to 60 sec. Several others report REPLAY not working either. I wonder why yours is working?
Are you using the same SD card as I am?
Closed Thread