RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 3:32 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
I'm running the new firmware side by side with DSD+. Some clarifications:

The school system is running more data than I thought, at least according to DSD+. Transmissions that are completely ignored by the TRBO system and picked up by the conventional system are mostly data so far, rather than voice traffic, so I haven't been missing as much voice traffic as I thought. I monitored the Schenker system (the one that is 100% encrypted) and the encryption is distinct from the data.

Data transmissions should be handled consistently between P25, TRBO, OFT and conventional DMR systems. DMR data is ignored by TRBO and OFT, but conventional hangs on the channel doing the timeslot jitter dance. I'd suggest having DAT flash momentarily, and then resume scanning. The same thing should happen when receiving a P25 control channel or data conventionally (such as via a Close Call hit or band search). Otherwise a P25 control channel can hang the scanner. I've had this happen with Close Call hits, band searches, and when scanning conventional channels. Someone is running P25 on marine channel 24, and if I'm scanning the marine channels, it's a PITA because I have to lock the channel out unless I only want to listen to P25 on that freq.

One Frequency systems still have issues. I have One Frequency versions of the Chambersburg school system and Triangle Communications, and can't get them to lock on to voice traffic, even by holding on the system during voice traffic confirmed by DSD+. I understand a One Frequency system isn't going to work quite right when the system is a Capacity+ or Connect+ and there are multiple simultaneous conversations, but when there is voice traffic, they should at least pick up something. But I've never gotten a hit from the Chambersburg school or Triangle Communications One Frequency systems during all my testing with .27, and the same with .28 so far.
Soooo...what's your final answer?
Sponsored links
Old Today, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo14 View Post
Has anyone notice on the Slots number changing while the channel is active in Conv mode?
I have. It seems to mostly happen when data is being broadcast vs voice.
Old Today, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werinshades View Post
Soooo...what's your final answer?
There are still issues, which have nothing to do with encryption.
Old Today, 3:40 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I have. It seems to mostly happen when data is being broadcast vs voice.
When audio is active shows s1 but when I hit replay shows s2. On Fw .28
Old Today, 3:47 PM

Quote:
I'm running the new firmware side by side with DSD+. Some clarifications:

The school system is running more data than I thought, at least according to DSD+. Transmissions that are completely ignored by the TRBO system and picked up by the conventional system are mostly data so far, rather than voice traffic, so I haven't been missing as much voice traffic as I thought.
I was referring to this actually. Soooo...the scanner IS decoding properly after all, but the system you're laying it all on is an anomaly? I gasped ever so....and almost fell out of my chair! LOL!
Sponsored links
Old Today, 3:55 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No flavor of DMR systems are intended to be scanned in conventional mode. Conventional scanning of DMR channels is only for determining the correct mode/settings to program if you don't already know them. The only valid programming modes for DMR are OFT or MotoTRBO. If you determine using conventional that a frequency is being used as simple DMR (not CAP+, CON+, DT3, etc), then that frequency should be programmed as OFT and deleted from conventional scanning.

Similarly, if a channel is used as CAP+, CON+, DT3, etc, then the only way it will be scanned properly is set up as MotoTRBO. Programming it as conventional or OFT is not a useful exercise...
Old Today, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
No flavor of DMR systems are intended to be scanned in conventional mode. Conventional scanning of DMR channels is only for determining the correct mode/settings to program if you don't already know them. The only valid programming modes for DMR are OFT or MotoTRBO. If you determine using conventional that a frequency is being used as simple DMR (not CAP+, CON+, DT3, etc), then that frequency should be programmed as OFT and deleted from conventional scanning.

Similarly, if a channel is used as CAP+, CON+, DT3, etc, then the only way it will be scanned properly is set up as MotoTRBO. Programming it as conventional or OFT is not a useful exercise...
I think this is the "problem" many have posted/described. Posts regarding "scanner hanging on the rest channel" seem to point towards people either mistakenly or intentionally scanning these systems incorrectly. Maybe it's time for a gentle reminder sticky of "how to" monitor MotoTRBO systems.
Old Today, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werinshades View Post
I was referring to this actually. Soooo...the scanner IS decoding properly after all, but the system you're laying it all on is an anomaly? I gasped ever so....and almost fell out of my chair! LOL!
No.

Channels programmed as conventional should not hang when presented with a data transmission. With P25, the scanner indicates LNK or DAT on control channels and data transmissions. It's annoying that the scanner hangs if P25 data shows up on a conventional channel, band search, or Close Call hit, but at least you have a clue what is going on.

In contrast, instead of indicating that a DMR data transmission is in progress and then moving on, the scanner hangs on the channel and has a psychotic episode--jittering back and forth between slot 1 and 2, displaying random color codes (or no color code!), etc.--while the data transmission is in progress.

So yes, decoding is broken with regard to how DMR data transmissions are handled, as well as DMR simplex voice transmissions. I never said voice decoding was broken in all cases; I pointed out that I've been monitoring several other DMR systems that seem to work OK, on multiple occasions.

The user has no way to know a digital transmission is data vs voice if the scanner doesn't correctly identify it as such. And a few posts ago you were convinced I was an idiot who couldn't program a DMR system.