RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 8:08 PM

One other difference noted:
With previous firmware, Schenker's encrypted traffic would play encryption garble as long as the user keyed the radio. Now it plays a short burst of garble static and then continues scanning, and the ENC indicator doesn't have time to display. Can the handling of all encrypted traffic be handled consistently, regardless of the digital format (DMR, P25, etc.)?
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 PM

Q1. All DMR, most often Connect Plus and DMR One Frequency, more rarely Capacity Plus. Most often the Comtronics MotoTrbo system, followed by the Industrial Communications and Electronics MotoTrbo.

Q2. It will display one TGID when the context of the conversation and RID make it clear that it belongs to another (see garys's post for an example)

Q3. Not that I've seen, it all generally corresponds to a different TGID on a different department on the same system.

Q4. It generally occurs from the beginning

Q5. Occasionally it will switch to the correct talkgroup if enough of a gap has occurred. It honestly seems that at times the scanner displays the same TGID if a conversation on another TG immediately follows it, as if the scanner is too slow to display the correct one.

Q6. Unknown

Q7. It occurs for UID at times

Q8. Fairly often, generally at least two or three times per day if I'm holding on those systems for over a minute or two
Old 03-24-2017, 7:12 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here is a new firmware load to test against this. Thank you all again for your reports.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/Par...P_V1_11_24.zip
Old 03-24-2017, 9:32 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have downloaded .24 as well as .23 and there is no noticeable difference with the system I referenced in Post #27 (EDACS ProVoice). I realize the engineers may be targeting other system types.
Old 03-24-2017, 9:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Here is a new firmware load to test against this. Thank you all again for your reports.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/Par...P_V1_11_24.zip
First off I am still seeing the issue on the two 436s I updated. Secondly I think this may have created a new issue. I am now seeing TGs within the proper system do not have any audio. I see the Alpha Tag and correct TG, but there is no audio. If the conversation goes on long enough eventually the radio will start receiving the comms. We will need to see if others see this also. I am not sure about others but when I see the false TGs they are almost always the same one or two that false. Kind of weird considering the system has 75 TGs. Why always the same ones that false?
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2017, 9:40 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I should have noted my results are from DMR Con+ and Cap+ systems.
Old 03-24-2017, 9:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am going to install .23 back into one unit and watch them side by side to make sure what I am telling you is correct.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I can confirm with that the new FW .24 is missing conversations when watched side by side with another using FW .23. I am only scanning one DMR Con+ system. Most times the .24 radio stops on the correct TG but no audio is passed. While the .23 radio is receiving the conversation just fine.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:44 AM

.24 seems to have solved the talkgroup showing in the wrong system issue. But I don't think I'm getting as much traffic as I should. I've got nothing from the local school system all day so far. Yesterday it was pretty busy because there was an accident and buses were calling in to report delays, but I haven't gotten one hit on that system all day so far.
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2017, 10:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Still showing the wrong talk group.

I'm not sure about the audio issue. What seems to be happening is that the scanner will stop on the TG, but no audio will be heard until there is a reply. Then the audio will perform normally.

This is in a Con+ network with about 500 TGs in use.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:47 AM

Still getting no traffic from the Chambersburg school system. I fired up another radio to confirm there is activity on the site freqs, and am hearing a burst of DMR noise every second or so on 153.3875 (site 100FB8).

In contrast, the Triangle system is broadcasting a continuous DMR signal on 452.325. The scanner pauses on that site for about a second, and I'm picking up traffic from Triangle.

I put a 1-second hold on all of the MotoTRBO systems in the favorite list, and it's still skipping the Chambersburg school system. "Chambersburg Area School District" flashes by on the display so quickly that most of the time you can't even see it.

If I hold on site 100FB8, the scanner never shows any signal bars but DAT or CAP occasionally flickers when there is a data burst.

I've attached the favorite list with my test systems for review.
Attached Files
File Type: txt f_000001.txt (56.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:36 PM

I picked up a few transmissions from the school on 153.3875 with a HT, and the scanner didn't pick up any of them.

Schenker has had a lot of HT activity on 463.4875 and the scanner rarely stops, even to show ENC, even on lengthy transmissions.

The only system that appears to be working properly is Triangle.

The 436 is connected to an outdoor ST-2, so if the HT can hear it, the scanner definitely can.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:58 PM

I've picked up numerous transmissions from the school system with the HT. The scanner pauses on site 100FB8 intermittently during transmission, but has never broken squelch.

Similar thing with Schenker, but the scanner has briefly broken squelch a few times for maybe 1/10 of a second.

But in both cases, most of the time the scanner ignores the transmission and continues scanning.
Old 03-24-2017, 1:16 PM

I've turned off or avoided everything but Schenker and the school system. Still nothing working, even though the HT is picking up a lot of activity on those 2 systems.
Old 03-24-2017, 2:06 PM

Conventional freqs and P25 systems seem to be working normally.
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2017, 6:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I went back to .23 I was seeing P25 systems with far less traffic even after analyze and stopping on a TG with no audio. This was on a system with multiple sites one being simulcast.

A P25 system with only one site which was simulcast was working fine.

With .23 they are back to what was normal.
Old 03-24-2017, 9:26 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Ditto, .24 was negatively affecting P25 performance, so also retrograded to .23.
Old 03-25-2017, 5:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
I'm not sure about the audio issue. What seems to be happening is that the scanner will stop on the TG, but no audio will be heard until there is a reply. Then the audio will perform normally.

This is in a Con+ network with about 500 TGs in use.
I'm also seeing this, however, mine is on OFT with 2 frequencies and 4 talk groups (among others). Also, at times a system, department, and channel will flash on the screen for a few seconds then continue scanning. Like it's received something, but then just stops receiving and moves on.

In my case, I only logged 1 wrong talk group in the wrong system yesterday. I found the newest firmware about 9 am, and logged with ProScan till about 2 pm. Not hearing near as much though with the newest firmware as I was hearing with 1.11.23.

As in jonwienke's case, I am just not hearing certain OFT systems. I can hear them fine with a CS700/EVX-534.

I am not having any issues with P25 P1 or P2. Those systems both trunked and conventional are working fine. Same for conventional frequencies, analog or digital.
Old 03-25-2017, 7:54 AM

Wrap-up:

.24 definitely has issues with ignoring traffic. I noted it mainly on DMR One Frequency and MotoTRBO systems that use a periodic "chirp" every second or so, but not on MotoTRBO systems that broadcast continuously on a control channel. I suspect that this issue may intermittently affect P25 systems (a problem I first noted with .22 or .23), but not nearly to the same degree as DMR. P25 systems miss <5% of total traffic, but some DMR systems miss 100% of all traffic.

On a P25 system, the scanner will pause on a talkgroup, but instead of displaying P25 and playing audio, LNK and DAT flicker intermittently, and no audio is played The scanner will do this longer than the channel delay time. If delay is set for 5 seconds, the scanner will hang on the talkgroup for more than 5 seconds.

I did not log any duplicate talkgroups, but I hesitate to confirm that bug is fixed until the scanner actually receives and plays all the traffic from all systems is is supposed to receive.

No issues with conventional frequencies were noted.
Old 03-27-2017, 7:40 AM

A few more things:

I set the 436 screen to turn on when squelch is open. While holding on a P25 system, I've seen the screen light up like the scanner thinks it is receiving a transmission, but no audio plays. This is different than the DMR missing traffic issue.The display does not light up when DMR traffic is missed.

I did get some traffic on the Chambersburg school system finally. If it comes in on 153.6275 (LCN 2), the scanner seems to receive it fine. But anything coming in on 153.3875 (LCN 1) is completely ignored.

Last edited by jonwienke; 03-27-2017 at 7:46 AM..