BC346XT: ***New Guy Alert*** Just starting out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwa0221

Very green, yet very interested. Picked up my first unit Uniden BC346XTC...from a neighbor. Came with the unit and a power cord. My thought was...I can figure this out. I'm an IT guy by trade. Boy was I wrong.

Where in the H does one even begin? I searched and found my county info

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
155.64000 KNGQ694 RM 97.4 PL FBRN SO Sheriff's Dept. FM Law Dispatch
155.01000 WQAX917 BM 97.4 PL ALBT LEA PD Albert Lea Police Department FM Law Dispatch
154.19000 KGX550 BM 97.4 PL FBRN FIRE County Fire Depts. FM Fire Dispatch
155.38500 KRE514 BM 173.8 PL ALBT MED CTR Albert Lea Medical Center FM Hospital
156.18000 KNCM885 RM FBRN ROADS Road Dept.

But beyond this i'm like a deer in the headlights. I've watched a couple videos that kind of explained what info to add...but again this is clearly deeper then a quick you tube video. I was hoping for something quick and easy...

Someone care to point me in the right direction? Southern MN.

edwa0221

Two directions. Which one is "right"? Depends on who you ask. Some will attempt to assist you in "programming" your scanner using the scanner only. Others, myself included, will advocate for a "software" solution (requires connecting the scanner to your computer using a specific cable, and installing software on said computer).

The software is free, and can be downloaded at:

BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Someone else will have to post the identification of the necessary cable. I have a couple, but I don't know how to describe them or where to purchase them.

If you go this route (software), repost after acquiring the software and the correct cable, and you will receive plenty of assistance.

If you prefer the "radio only" solution, others will help you.
I dug through my grab bag and cant match said usb cable. I will attempt to find one and play with the software side.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

edwa0221

You will need FreeScan to program your BC346XTC.

The Sentinel is for the BCD436HP which is a completely different scanner.

You will need a Uniden USB-1 cable to connect it to your computer.

You can program with the keypad as well.

http://marksscanners.com/346XT/346xt.shtml
Lol i started to read through that url provided earlier tonight. Sweet baby jesus i was more confused. Thanks guys

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You will need FreeScan to program your BC346XTC.

The Sentinel is for the BCD436HP which is a completely different scanner.

You will need a Uniden USB-1 cable to connect it to your computer.

You can program with the keypad as well.

Easier to Read BC346XT Scanner Manual

No one has mentioned the most important thing: a psychoanalyst. You will likely need one sooner or later

Welcome.

edwa0221

Nope i have the 346 unit. Thanks for input. My wife is already annoyed as my fire dept pager already goes off enough.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You might consider making a post in the Minnesota forum asking folks up there to confirm that your area has completely migrated to the ARMER statewide radio system.

I suspect they have if you look at this link: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1333 you'll see "All Public Safety and Public Services utilize ARMER".

If it has, you may be out of luck. The scanner you have will not receive digital signals, which is used by the ARMER system. Those frequencies you found may be old and of limited use.

Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news.

edwa0221

You might consider making a post in the Minnesota forum asking folks up there to confirm that your area has completely migrated to the ARMER statewide radio system.

I suspect they have if you look at this link: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1333 you'll see "All Public Safety and Public Services utilize ARMER".

If it has, you may be out of luck. The scanner you have will not receive digital signals, which is used by the ARMER system. Those frequencies you found may be old and of limited use.

Sorry to be the bearer of potential bad news.
Nope, we have. Soo...what does one do with this scanner? What should a guy look for for a basic one that works on the armer system?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are some things you can use the scanner for, such as Fire Tone Out (if your department still uses that), Weather monitoring/alerting, and aircraft monitoring (probably minimal in your area).

If you are looking for a "basic" scanner, I'd suggest the Uniden Home Patrol 2. If you want to get more "advanced" then a Uniden BCD436HP (portable) or BCD536HP (Mobile/base).

The Uniden BCD325P2 (portable) and BCD996P2 (base/mobile) are also candidates, but programming an elaborate system such as Minnesota's is challenging.

Whistler also makes scanners that can receive the ARMER system, but I don't have any experience with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.