GPS opeation with HP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
Am having problems getting the GPS function to work on my new HP2.

Here is the deal. I have connected everything as I should, the "puck" blinks red, but after over an hour of being "in the clear" still nothing.

The HP2 never shows searching for satellites. What am I missing?

Ron

troymail

Silent Key
I'm not sure what "in the clear" means... but..

I don't have an HP-1 or HP-2 but instead a 436 that I use with the GPS. The 436 itself doesn't say anything about satellites being search like my Garmin GPS does. The only indication I have of the GPS being active is a small "GPS" symbol at the bottom of the display.

Apparently, the HP will only show "Connected" somewhere and a small green dot at the top.

There are some suggestions of things to try in this thread to help determine if things are working:

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/309462-bc-gpsk-gps-not-working.html

The key test is to set the radio to a zip code that is out of your area, wait for the radio to act on that, and then plug in the GPS to see if things change based on GPS input.

troymail

Silent Key
troymail, "in the clear" means no trees for 2 blocks

Ah - ok.... trees shouldn't cause that much of an issue.

Have you tried the enter a zip code thing (I believe it would prompt you to enable the full database) followed by applying the GPS input?

What other indications do you have that it isn't working? What are you trying to scan?

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
GPS screen is gray and shows not connected.

Want to get this ready to go for road trip to AZ

troymail

Silent Key
Ah - ok -- I would think it would show connected even if not receiving good satellite signals...

Things that come to mind -- recheck connections, look closely at the pins in all of the connectors and make sure nothing is bent, etc., power cycle everything...

I assume this is a new GPS unit and you are trying to get it working for the first time?

troymail

Silent Key
Just found these tips in the GPS documentation:

When power is applied to the BC-GPSK, it turns on and searches for satellite signals. The table below shows the meaning of the LED status.

LED OFF: GPS receiver is off (no power).
LED ON (solid): No fix, searching for GPS signals.
LED FLASHING: Position fix established and GPS signals are being received.

IMPORTANT:
You must change the baud rate setting of your scanner’s port to 4800 bps to receive GPS data.

How do I turn on Location Based Scanning in my scanner?

You typically only need to be sure the scanner’s port speed is set to 4800 bps. The scanner automatically uses the GPS data as soon as
satellite positioning information is available.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Enable the main database.

Enter a zip code for another state with the GPS disconnected. You should see the scanner loading items from that state.

Connect the GPS. If you have the baud rate set correctly (4800 for the Uniden unit), you will see an indication in the screen the GPS is communicating with the scanner, but it's not going to show the number satellites and other trivia commonly shown by dedicated handheld GPS units. If the GPS has satellite lock (indicated by the LED on the puck blinking), the scanner should pause scanning (it may take a few seconds to register that location has changed) and load local items to scan.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If the LED on the puck is blinking once per second, then the GPS has a satellite fix and is outputting location data.

That leaves a possible issue with the connection between the puck and the HP-2, which could be:

• Incorrect baud rate setting in the HP-2 (must be 4800).
  • Bad/loose cable.
  • Bad/loose connector in the HP-2.
Or something else I've not though of right now.

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
OK! Thanks all for the information! The puck is blinking so that takes care of the "is it receiving" question. The baud rate is set to 4800 in the scanner. The part I don't under stand is why the GPS page is "grayed out".

I will take another look at the connections in the morning and see what I find, I thought the DB9 connectors had pulled apart so I cable tied them together (thought that might have been the problem)

Will report what I find!

marksmith

OK! Thanks all for the information! The puck is blinking so that takes care of the "is it receiving" question. The baud rate is set to 4800 in the scanner. The part I don't under stand is why the GPS page is "grayed out".

I will take another look at the connections in the morning and see what I find, I thought the DB9 connectors had pulled apart so I cable tied them together (thought that might have been the problem)

Will report what I find!
I use an HP2 on gps in both my vehicles. If all your connections are good, the radio will automatically give you the green GPS indicator top of screen (if it loses gps once connected, it shows orange, and grey if no connection)

I don't even think about it any more. I think the first time it's connected and gets signals it gives a popup saying it has gps and do you want to use it.

Use just favorites lists when around home, but shift to gps and database when I get outside local area. I just plug in the gps, and within a few seconds it finds it.

I have heard of people putting the connector into the radio backwards. I always look to make sure, but I understand it's possible to get it in there backwards.

Your issue is cables or connector.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
GPS operation with HP2

To all that have been following this thread, I have good news for you!

I have it working! After taking everything apart I found that you can install incorrectly the GPS plug in the HP2.

Even though there is a key in the plug and socket, you can install it wrong!

Again thanks to all who responded to this thread!.

Ron

phask

Premium Subscriber

I have it working! After taking everything apart I found that you can install incorrectly the GPS plug in the HP2.

Ron

Be VERY careful with that socket, many have screwed them up. including myself.

I marked the front facing portion with a silver sharpie as I can not easily see it where I have it installed (dark area).

marksmith

Ron
I had a feeling after reading through all that this was the issue.

I read early on from somewhere that it is possible to "jam" the gps connector into the radio backwards. I always check the socket before inserting. Not the best design I guess.

Glad you are in business for your trip.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Status
Not open for further replies.