NXDN and Sentinel

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I programmed two NXDN systems into my 436 but need to update my favorites lists via Sentinel and add a new system. However, when I read my scanner my NXDN systems turn into a P25 system and I can’t figure out how to switch them from P25 back to NXDN if I write to the scanner. Any way to work around this without effecting my NXDN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I too can’t seem to figure out what to put it in as, I did mine as MotorTRBo, still nothing. Wondering if it needs to be put in as conventional. Mine however is a 900mhz NXDN trimmed system

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I too can’t seem to figure out what to put it in as, I did mine as MotorTRBo, still nothing. Wondering if it needs to be put in as conventional. Mine however is a 900mhz NXDN trimmed system

You have to program NXDN systems in the scanner as a NXDN system after the firmware update. I programmed mine as NXDN in scanner but when I read my scanner with my computer it reads as a P25 system, not NXDN because NXDN has not been added to Sentinel yet.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It has been posted several times SENTINEL has not been upgraded to work with NXDN that is why you got it for $30 not the regular price $60. It has been posted how to do this by hand or use PROSCAN or ARC536 until the software gets updated it is the only way. I did 7 county 22 site system by hand in about 30 mins or less.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
It has been posted several times SENTINEL has not been upgraded to work with NXDN that is why you got it for $30 not the regular price $60. It has been posted how to do this by hand or use PROSCAN or ARC536 until the software gets updated it is the only way. I did 7 county 22 site system by hand in about 30 mins or less.

I’m not trying to add a NXDN system via Sentinel. I’m trying to add a DMR system and others to my favorites list with without effecting my NXDN systems and having to reprogram because Sentinel concerts it to P25 when it reads.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber

I GET SENTINEL isn’t UPto date on NXDN, what I’d like to know is how to program a 900 MHz NXDN system. What system option do I put it under, P25 or conventional?

mciupa

I GET SENTINEL isn’t UPto date on NXDN, what I’d like to know is how to program a 900 MHz NXDN system. What system option do I put it under, P25 or conventional?

None of the above.

Use NXDN Trunk.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you mean in Sentinel...you don't Sentinel does not in any way support NXDN. If you mean by hand, it should be programmed as NXDN Trunked, more than likely. Without knowing more specifics about the system, you are going to get random answers, some right, some wrong, and some confusing.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
If you mean in Sentinel...you don't Sentinel does not in any way support NXDN. If you mean by hand, it should be programmed as NXDN Trunked, more than likely. Without knowing more specifics about the system, you are going to get random answers, some right, some wrong, and some confusing.

So to get this correct, I currently cannot program my scanner for any other systems P25, DMR etc. in Sentinel with out effecting my NXDN due to it not get being supported?

Voyager

I’m not trying to add a NXDN system via Sentinel. I’m trying to add a DMR system and others to my favorites list with without effecting my NXDN systems and having to reprogram because Sentinel concerts it to P25 when it reads.

Don't overwrite the NXDN system (skip it in Sentinel) and it will not be changed.

Voyager

When Sentinel is updated, you will set it to the appropriate type - NXDN Trunked.

If it's conventional, you can program it now (minus the RAN).

Voyager

So to get this correct, I currently cannot program my scanner for any other systems P25, DMR etc. in Sentinel with out effecting my NXDN due to it not get being supported?

You can - just don't overwrite the NXDN System.

Voyager

When you write it with Sentinel, it will ask if you want to overwrite the System. Select the SKIP IT option. Or, if the System is named something Sentinel does not know, it will not overwrite it.

Be sure you don't erase all systems first - select the option to REPLACE them.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
So how do I program it by hand? I understand sentinel doesn’t support it now,I’m thinking convential for the time being

Voyager

The starting steps are:

MENU
MANAGE FAVORITES
NEW FAVORITES LIST (or select an existing one to use)
(set the options - rename etc if you want)

Select REVIEW/EDIT SYSTEM
NEW SYSTEM
Select the system type you want: NXDN TRUNK for trunking systems, NXDN OneFrequency for single frequency trunks, or Conventional for conventional channels.

For conventional only, create a new Department, then within that new channel, then program teh frequency for that channel. Set the audio type as DIGITAL ONLY and set the RAN if known. Repeat for any additional channels.

For NXDN OneFrequency, select EDIT SITE, add a new site, then select SET FREQUENCIES and enter the frequency. After that, set ID SCAN to ON or select EDIT DEPARTMENT, NEW DEPARTMENT, NEW CHANNEL, then enter the Talkgroups you want to scan.

For NXDN TRUNK:
select EDIT SITE, add a new site, then select SET FREQUENCIES and enter the frequencies for each LCN. If you don't know the LCN, just hit ENTER for now on that field. Repeat until all the site frequencies are entered. After that, set ID SCAN to ON or select EDIT DEPARTMENT, NEW DEPARTMENT, NEW CHANNEL, then enter the Talkgroups you want to scan.

If you don't know the LCN, use LCN FINDER to find them as follows: (you will need to remember the System name you set above)
In the menu, select ANALYZE then LCN FINDER. Hit ENTER and scroll to the system and select it, then select the SITE and LCN Finder will start. when it's done, it will let you know and you can set all the found LCNs.

Now one word of caution here: IF there are frequencies that are not used, it will never find the LCN for them. But, it will give you the option of saving what it has found when you exit the LCN finder using FUNC-SYSTEM. It will ask if you want to save found LCNs. Select YES.

The above should get you running.

If you don't get all the LCNs, review what it HAS found. It might be obvious what the missing ones are. For example, if LCNs 1-5 are used except 3 and 4, and 1/2/5 are in descending order (or ascending), the pattern likely continues through 3 and 4. If it has found all except one, that one should be obvious. It's always possible they are using a frequency you don't have, but that is usually the exception and not the rule.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Thinking mine didn’t fully update, on my scanner I have the current firmware and it says NXDN upgrade complete when I go to upgrade

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
Programming NXDN using Sentinel (workaround)

This was posted here previously. I tried it and it works.

Programming NXDN using Sentinel (workaround)
I have had success using the following as a workaround for programming NXDN into my 536 using Sentinel. Others have used it with success as well. It was based on a comment someone made when the upgrade was first released.

Caution: You cannot download the system you upload and program it back in, you will have to recreate it again. Do anything at your own risk. Make backups etc.

First I created a new Favorite with system type being "MotoTRBO Trunk"
Next, I went through the steps to create the System, Site, Department, and Talkgroups.
I then uploaded it into the scanner
Before scanning, I go into the SD Card and open
BCDx36HP
Favorites_lists
Look for the newest .hpd file, open this file with Notepad
In the 3rd line, you will see "MotoTrbo". Change this to "Nxdn"
save and exit.
Scan
I have done this with a single site trunked NXDN48 system successfully.

NOTE:
If you download the system back into Sentinel, you will corrupt the data. It changes it into a P25Trunk system and removes TGIDs

Status
Not open for further replies.