RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 1:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Bcd325p2 gps

What are some GPS that will work with my BCD325p2. I am super new to this so I don't know all the lingo and everything so the simpler the answer the better haha. I have 2 GPS already but I don't know if they are compatible. One is a Garmin Nuvi 52 and the other is a Tomtom. How do I know if they are compatible and if not what are some cheap compatible GPS I can buy?
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2018, 10:21 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default from the easy to read manual

The GPS device must have a serial (RS-232) output, and be capable of outputting standard NMEA-0183 v3.01 compliant location data, and GGA/RMC data sentences at 4800 bps. Make sure that the cable terminates in a female, 9-pin serial connector and you select the correct baud rate (4800 bps) for the serial port.

to translate a little, it needs to speak the same language. that is NMEA-0183v3.01
Old 05-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

In addition to what wtp said, the biggest difficulty using anything other than the Uniden GPS kit (or the rechargeable one-cable GPS I sell) is making the adapter cable. You have to know the pinouts of the connectors on both ends, and make sure the correct pins on each end are connected together.

Also, the GPS input on the 325P2 is 325P2 is not a DB9 connector, it is fed into the ID pin of the mini-USB jack, which is not used for USB communication. So a standard serial cable will not work.
Old 05-17-2018, 7:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Jon's GPS/power supply looks excellent.

Another option, which I already had before Jon's developed his device, is a basic GPS puck with a PS-2 type connector ($30) and the Uniden adapter cable ($20) as listed below:

https://www.amazon.com/GlobalSat-BR-.../dp/B00AMAJFUO

https://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden.../10-731909.htm

The Uniden adapter cable plugs into a standard USB-A port and supplies power to both the GPS and the BCD325P2. The full Uniden GPS kit is not necessary.
Old 05-18-2018, 8:41 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
In addition to what wtp said, the biggest difficulty using anything other than the Uniden GPS kit (or the rechargeable one-cable GPS I sell)
Link?

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk.
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2018, 8:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Not sure which link you're requesting:
https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-BC-GPS.../dp/B005P99KRU
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/...ct=8927&cat=13