RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 8:41 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

1. Can you see if it does the same thing in Discovery mode?

2. Could you get a log in normal scan mode exhibiting the issue and post it here?

To log:

a) Power on while pressing AVOID.
b) Set up the scan (limit to the system exhibiting the issue).
c) MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Mode --> SD Card (file)

Let it run long enough to catch the issue a few times.

MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Mode --> Off

The file will be in the Debug directory.
For better help, tell us specifically what you are trying to scan.
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2018, 11:31 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I will do this shortly when I get to my next service call. I brought it with me today at work, knowing I'd be in the area of a number of simulcast systems today.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur20v View Post
Perhaps they all had "Flash w/Backlight Off" set to OFF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2SJW View Post
My setting on that is 'off' as well, but from what I've been lead to believe, that ONLY applies to the behavior of the keypad illumination.
It was my understanding that the setting mentioned above is for having the little left LED flash every few seconds when the screen is off to remind the user the radio was still on and nothing to do with keypad illumination.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikito View Post
It was my understanding that the setting mentioned above is for having the little left LED flash every few seconds when the screen is off to remind the user the radio was still on and nothing to do with keypad illumination.
That is correct.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It was also my understanding that the Delay Settings in Seconds i.e. 15 seconds on the Squelch/Keypress timers, was the amount of time the display will stay on when activated by squelch opening or a key press. So the screen WILL TURN OFF after 15 seconds have passed EVEN if there's a transmission still active.

That brings up the question, in the current state of operation, which timer takes precedence when there's a squelch opening and you also do a keypress around the same time?

I would think the display would stay on for the amount of whatever timer is longest, whether is the Squelch or the Keypress. But what about when they're both set to the same? I would think it'll go by the timer of the one activated last. But maybe once the timer is activated, it starts the countdown and ignores anything else after that?

Which brings me to a theory of what some people could be seeing, maybe just maybe, the flickering and other anomalies may have to do with a squelch or keypress timer running out at the same time the squelch opens on another transmission different from the original one that started the timer set. Or just some anomaly related to the timers somehow.

The main issue I'm seeing in all this backlight business, which I brought up in another thread, is that no matter what delay I choose, the radio always behave as if Open Squelch is selected and the display comes on when the squelch opens and goes back off as soon as the transmission is over, instead of staying on for the 15 seconds I have set.

I personally would like the behavior to be instead: I set a Squelch/Keypress timer of 5 seconds. When the squelch or a keypress happens, the screen turns on and stays on for the duration of the transmission or whatever I'm doing with the keyoad, and if there isn't any more open squelch or keypresses for 5 seconds, THEN it turns off.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:59 PM

Mine acts the same as yours. After squelch is closed, no matter what setting I use for Timer, the display goes dark.
Old 06-11-2018, 5:30 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
1. Can you see if it does the same thing in Discovery mode?

2. Could you get a log in normal scan mode exhibiting the issue and post it here?

To log:

a) Power on while pressing AVOID.
b) Set up the scan (limit to the system exhibiting the issue).
c) MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Mode --> SD Card (file)

Let it run long enough to catch the issue a few times.

MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Mode --> Off

The file will be in the Debug directory.
Here you go. I was not in an area this afternoon to get solid copy of the NJICS, but the county I was in is full of trunk systems.

The Middlesex County P25 system is a recently completed Harris-built 700 Phase-II system, and it displayed the behavior the worst. Some transmissions didn't even activate the backlight at all. The municipal-level trunk systems in that county are Motorola UHF Phase-I systems, and they were acting 'normal' greater than 75% of the time.

Not 100% sure now if the inconsistent behavior is related to the operating band, or the phase type...
Attached Files
File Type: zip debug_log_1.zip (167.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: zip debug_log_2.zip (93.3 KB, 4 views)

Old 06-11-2018, 7:10 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Here you go. I was not in an area this afternoon to get solid copy of the NJICS, but the county I was in is full of trunk systems.

The Middlesex County P25 system is a recently completed Harris-built 700 Phase-II system, and it displayed the behavior the worst. Some transmissions didn't even activate the backlight at all. The municipal-level trunk systems in that county are Motorola UHF Phase-I systems, and they were acting 'normal' greater than 75% of the time.

Not 100% sure now if the inconsistent behavior is related to the operating band, or the phase type...
Good job Scott. Even though I am scanning totally different P25 systems from yours, my unit's backlight behaves identically.

Hopefully, the info you provided will help out with a remedy.
Old 06-12-2018, 4:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Flickering backlight

Wondering if setting the squelch up a notch or two would help? Sorry if already asked-itís a lengthy thread...
Old 06-12-2018, 9:22 AM

I think the back light needs an hang time, I have responses that are very quick that by the time I glance at the display, it is dark and have no idea what agency or talk group was active. I think there should be an option for the back light to stay on as long as the scan delay and/or give the user an option for the back light to stay lit after a transmission.

I understand the need to conserve the battery, but I would like the display to stay lit about 3-4 seconds after the transmission has stopped so I can see who responded and when the radio starts scanning again.
Old 06-12-2018, 9:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The simplest solution would be to have an option for Squelch + Delay, where the light turns on when squelch opens, and turns off when the delay period expires and scanning resumes.
Old 06-12-2018, 9:51 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
The simplest solution would be to have an option for Squelch + Delay, where the light turns on when squelch opens, and turns off when the delay period expires and scanning resumes.
This. I agree with JamesO. I would like to see the backlight stay on for a user-selctable amount of time after the RF (actually match it to my scan delay) ends.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I think the back light needs an hang time, I have responses that are very quick that by the time I glance at the display, it is dark and have no idea what agency or talk group was active. I think there should be an option for the back light to stay on as long as the scan delay and/or give the user an option for the back light to stay lit after a transmission.

I understand the need to conserve the battery, but I would like the display to stay lit about 3-4 seconds after the transmission has stopped so I can see who responded and when the radio starts scanning again.

We thought that a few days ago when this issue first appeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
This. I agree with JamesO. I would like to see the backlight stay on for a user-selctable amount of time after the RF (actually match it to my scan delay) ends.
+1^^^^
Old 06-12-2018, 4:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm also having the back light / blank display when not on external power, it makes no matter what I'm scanning. Sometimes display turns on and sometimes it dose not, if it comes on its for a fleeting second. Pretty disappointing to have to be tethered to the USB cord.
Old 06-12-2018, 5:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpp517 View Post
Pretty disappointing to have to be tethered to the USB cord.
Wouldn't fret too much over it. I haven't yet heard anything described in this thread that doesn't sound like it can be fixed in firmware.
Old 06-12-2018, 7:58 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

My remedy (until the hopeful fix) is to set the backlight to be on continuously with the dimmer set to the lowest setting (10%) to preserve battery life.
Old 06-12-2018, 8:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseven View Post
Wouldn't fret too much over it. I haven't yet heard anything described in this thread that doesn't sound like it can be fixed in firmware.
The backlight behavior is 100% controlled by firmware.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It'd be awfully nice to be able to have the backlight on but only at, say, 10% during keypress or squelch inactivity, then jump to, say, 90% during and just after keypress or squelch activity ("active" trumping "inactive" in case of a conflict b/w keypress and squelch activity/inactivity).

So for the universal solution, we'd store two backlight levels:
- inactivity level (%)
- activity level (%)

Then enable which activities affect the backlight:
- open squelch (T/F)
- keypress (T/F)

And finally
- delay from end of squelch activity to shift from active to inactive (secs)
- delay from end of keypress activity to shift from active to inactive (secs)

Wouldn't that give everybody everything?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:12 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Ditto

Quote:
Wondering what others have their backlight settings set for, as I'm having a minor issue with my new SDS100:

Short transmissions will often fail to illuminate the backlight, or cause it to flicker for a split-second & then go out while the transmission continues.

I'm using 'open squelch' for the backlight time & '15 seconds' for the key activation time.
Add me to the list also