SDS100/SDS200: Feature Request: SSB (maybe been asked before)

Status
Not open for further replies.

royldean

I know, I know - it's been discussed (more so in the general scanning forum). I was just thinking that it would be really cool for the SDS100 to be able to demod SSB, and have a VFO-like interface. This would be very useful for those of us who operate (or plan to operate) on linear amateur satellites. Downlinks are generally 70cm and 2m....

mule1075

Feed Provider
I know, I know - it's been discussed (more so in the general scanning forum). I was just thinking that it would be really cool for the SDS100 to be able to demod SSB, and have a VFO-like interface. This would be very useful for those of us who operate (or plan to operate) on linear amateur satellites. Downlinks are generally 70cm and 2m....
Really no need for it as ICOM And AOR already have that capability.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I was just thinking that it would be really cool for the SDS100 to be able to demod SSB
Honestly, you probably wouldn't like it very much if it was there. A do-everything scanner like the SDS100 would probably have mediocre SSB performance, which would lead to frustration on the sats. This is not a knock on the SDS100, but for any scanner that might attempt this.

I have a few SSB handhelds, and they all do ok, but they are dedicated communications receivers, not scanners. None of them can match the performance of SSB on the ham rigs.

JamesO

SSB, HF and other features would be great. If the hardware could support this, Uniden could do a paid upgrade and make some additional money.

Just because another radio supports something does not mean people that may own the SDS100 may not want or need the feature.

Even FM Broadcast and Digital TV audio are useful. Someone commented the other day why someone would want to listen to FM Broadcast on a scanner, the comment was like why bother. Well I often need and use FM Broadcast during car racing where either a local radio station is broadcasting the even or the size uses a low power FM broadcast transmitter. Also during major storms and power outage or in a really bad disaster situation having access to FM Broadcast is actually quite useful. Sure you may or may not have a car FM radio to listen to, having an all in one radio is quite useful.

I hope Uniden is working on lots of things behind the scenes for the SDS100. Hopeful they have a small remote head, IQ Output, Discriminator Output and so forth with the Micro USB port.

Additional features would be nice to have.

CQ

Commercials and All

Ah, there is FM broadcast reception in the SDS100. Just tuned to an HD radio station (bloomberg).

Status
Not open for further replies.