Home patrol II wont power up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryank104

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a home patrol II on ebay. The scanner wont power up. I put fresh charged batteries in the unit , the try to power up the unit and the charge light come on and nothing else. And help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a home patrol II on ebay. The scanner wont power up. I put fresh charged batteries in the unit , the try to power up the unit and the charge light come on and nothing else. And help would be very much appreciated. Thank you

The first thing to try would be the memory card. They can cause unexpected things to occur. If you have not already, download and install the Sentinel version for the HP-2. You will eventually need the serial driver as well. It's down toward the bottom of this page. (That page references the HP-1, but the serial driver is the same for the HP-1 & HP-2.)

Once you have Sentinel installed, connect the scanner to your PC. Do you get the prompt asking if you want to go onto Mass Storage mode? If not, then take the battery cover off & remove the batteries. You will see the socket for the memory card. Is there a card in the slot? Since you bought it off eBay, did the seller remove the card before shipping?

If the card is missing, or the PC is not recognizing it, you should replace it. New cards are widely available, and not expensive. Uniden recommends a high endurance card. Be sure to format it correctly using the SD Card Formatter tool.

Once you have a new card, and have formatted it, prepare it for use with the 'Clear User Data' option. That is under the Home Patrol drop-down menu in Sentinel. Also in Sentinel, make sure that you have your correct location set, pick a range, and select your Service Types. Be sure to enable the Service Types that interest you. For the Law, Fire, EMS, and Multi prefixes, enable the Dispatch, Talk, and Tac suffixes. With the new card installed, set up initially with the clear user data option, select the write to scanner option in Sentinel. Then write the database, along with your range, location, and Service Type choices to the scanner. With charged batteries and the cover installed, and your new card also in place, see if the scanner will start up now.

bryank104

Premium Subscriber
ok I have updated the sd card and tried a different card. both were recognized in the sentinel software so I believe they are working still getting the blinking green charge light and wont power up. I have used just the rechargeable batteries that came out of a pro 651 scanner that worked fine. when I use the usb cord that came with the scanner same thing tried the usb charger for the bcd436 and the same thing

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ok I have updated the sd card and tried a different card. both were recognized in the sentinel software so I believe they are working still getting the blinking green charge light and wont power up. I have used just the rechargeable batteries that came out of a pro 651 scanner that worked fine. when I use the usb cord that came with the scanner same thing tried the usb charger for the bcd436 and the same thing
Sounds like you've pretty well covered your bases as far as likely issues. Replacement card (which Sentinel reads without a problem); batteries that apparently are known good. Were you 'reading' the cards via an external card reader, or via the mass storage mode on the scanner? If that was in mass storage mode, does the scanner attempt to boot up using charged batteries, but without the USB cable connected?

If still no response from the scanner, then I'd have to suspect a defective unit, unless someone else has a better suggestion. Do you have a return option with the seller, or thru eBay (for a possibly defective unit that was not disclosed)?

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
Again - DID you hold down the power button a few seconds to power up.

The HP units you have to hold down the power button...its not the quick push.

bryank104

Premium Subscriber
HP II wont power up

I have tried to power up with batteries only,with power coed only with out the sd card. Still wont turn on and yes i have held the power button down for as long as 10 seconds

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have tried to power up with batteries only,with power coed only with out the sd card. Still wont turn on and yes i have held the power button down for as long as 10 seconds
It sounds like you have tried everything that remotely might apply. As I said earlier, it appears that something is wrong with that radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.