New SDS100 User - Seattle, WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

OriginalJimbo

Premium Subscriber
[X] - Read the Manual - Still learning features though
[X] - Searched the forums - Even used Bing to make sure there wasn't something simple I am missing
[X] - Still a Newbie when it comes to DMA

I am a new owner of the SDS100. Loving it so far but a ton to learn moving up from the 996xt and 396xt. I know this is probably user error but I have spent too long trying to self-resovle to not ask for a "phone a friend".

Programed and listening to: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Seattle-King_County_Public_Safety_(KCERS) using Sentinel

I am locked to the EPSCA Site and have a Department of "King County Fire". In normal scanning mode, the scanner will break on the Dispatch 1 and Dispatch 2 channels, but any traffic on the Fire Tactical 1-10 channels will not break scan. I know there is traffic because my 996xt is picking it up. If I use the SDS100 and hold on Fire Tactical 1, the audio comes in perfectly clear. It is only during Scan that these channels won't break the scan.

I have refreshed the scanner from factory. I have tried only putting a Department with the Tactical Channels. Nothing.

Any ideas what I am missing? Something silly stupid I am sure.The only difference between the Channels (Dispatch and Tactical) is the Service Type (Fire Dispatch vs. Fire-Tac).

RBMTS

You are listening to the wrong group/agency. You want to lock in on "Norcom Talkgroups". That has the fire dispatch and tac talkgroups for the "Eastside Fire Rescue" which covers Sammamish.

OriginalJimbo

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Randy

Sorry in my FL renamed NORCOM to King Fire so I could identify it better. It has the dispatch and tac channels in there.

Thanks
Jim

RBMTS

Make sure you are not locked in on one of the Intellipeater sites. You might be in a really bad receive area for EPSCA. See if you receive ValleyComm site or the Seattle Simulcast any better from your location. You'll hear Norcom on both of them.

RBMTS

DeviceLab - he stated he is using Sentinel which automatically downloads the custom reband tables for Uniden. If he were doing it manually I'd say that might be an issue to consider but not the case when using Sentinel.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
DeviceLab - he stated he is using Sentinel which automatically downloads the custom reband tables for Uniden. If he were doing it manually I'd say that might be an issue to consider but not the case when using Sentinel.

No he didn't. He stated he programmed KCERS into his scanner. He made no mention that he did this using Sentinel or by hand.

OriginalJimbo

Premium Subscriber
[SOLVED]

Feeling stupid, thank you for the pointers and great catch. Page 13 of the manual too! "Service Types required for channels must be set to On." Because the channels were Fire-Tac, by default (assuming) that Service Type is OFF. Never dawned on me because I could hear it when held on the channel, just not during scanning.

Thanks guys! Happy camper!

Status
Not open for further replies.