BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Not receiving expected traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkljunk

Premium Subscriber
One of the largest fires ever recoded in my state, I'm within 30 miles... None of Fire Management channels are coming across by Zip code, Auto locate, Discovery of trunked or conventional. I am picking up a couple of local mutual aid ones, but that's it. I have checked the lists and do have the service types on....
Help???

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Are you using the stock antenna, or an outdoor antenna up on a pole? A handheld antenna isn't likely to pick up a signal from 30 miles away.

dkljunk

Premium Subscriber
Yes, stock antenna... Southern Colorado, directly east of the Spring fire. Sevice list was one of the first things I checked.

dkljunk

Premium Subscriber
I don't expect to pick up the ground portable radios, but think I should at least get the planes and helps, base operations.

hightime

Don't know if you tried this or not but on RR Colorado Database page. bottom right click on United State Nationwide frequencies. On the upcoming page click on National Interagency Fire Center. The next page has a lot of frequencies if it's a big fire and the Feds are involved. Kinda a stretch for a stock antenna, but the air support might come in. Good Luck

dkljunk

Premium Subscriber
I did searches on all those frequent ranges... And we drove to within a few miles of the fire yesterday, doing additional scans...am at a loss, but I won't stop trying..lol.
Just haven't tried doing any manual entries... Don't know how...yet, but I will.

dkljunk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! It is a big fire...80,000 acres, 5 percent contained. Will look at the frequent list again, see what I'm missing.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Have you updated your database recently? Doing band searches is slow and you'll miss lots of traffic scanning unused frequencies.

Enable the Aircraft service type to ensure you hear air support traffic

phask

Premium Subscriber
IF using full db- make sure under

Colorado - any county - nationwide Natl Interagency fire cache is ON.
Or add that to a fav list- Fire Tac - on as well

I checked the CO forum and saw nothing new or related, is some chatter of previous fires.

dkljunk

Premium Subscriber
It is checked - and both are on - thanks for giving me something else to look for...
It is pretty remote areas, no local big agencies to listen to online, Just hoping I missed something...

AC0RV

Feed Provider
if a trunked system check and see if the ID Search is on. For some reason I have to turn it on to recieve traffic.

lou9155

if your in a rural area your handheld wont be as satisfying unless you have an outdoor antenna on a mast or decent mobile antenna on your vehicle such as the larsen triband

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd scan the full database, selecting the zipcode for where the incident is located (not where you are). I'd also turn on all Service Types then cut back on them once you discover which are applicable to the incident. (They could be Federal, Aircraft, Emergency Ops, Interop, Military, Multi whatever, or even Other, some of the obscure things.)

dkljunk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the ideas... I have tried the different zip codes and the selections... Think I am just stuck until I can afford an outdoor antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.