RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Tech Support

Uniden Tech Support - For discussion of all technical aspects of current or future Uniden scanners.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 3:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Did some more testing today on UHF/VHF
Diamond RH77CA added with Jon's BNC adapter improved the reception about 10% on UHF, there is a large Hump yard close by but haven't been able to pick up any railroad traffic yet, even with a mobile antenna (Austin Spectra) on my truck the reception seems weak.

im close to concluding that the reception issues are 25% antenna and 75% something else,

the funny thing is i went through Madison, Wisconsin a bunch recently and Danecom is on 150/170 for their trunk system, and in the Fargo area their P25 VHF channels have no issues, it seems to be an issue with analog channels 700/800 P25 is awesome and 800mhz analog trunk seems the same as other radios
Sponsored links
Old 08-10-2018, 4:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I don't know what's going on with UHF and VHF but I hope it's not a hardware issue. It has been two weeks now since the last firmware update and they were usually weekly. I really hope they didn't find something wrong with the board as we saw how that went with the 436. I was really looking forward to a firmware upgrade as things tend to get a little better with each one. Hopefully we will see something soon that will correct the missed the conventional analog comms in the UHF and VHF bands. Also I am not having a problem with the blinking LED mine is working exactly as it should I have been testing it for two weeks now so LED problems would be news to me but no doubt I am sure there is some circumstance that is causing a issue with the users who are seeing that. I would also like to add that a good adjustable AGC setting would be quite welcomed as well as my audio is all over the place up and dow, hi and low. I hope we see something helpful pop up soon. I usually don't jump on the first to buy bandwagon but couldn't help myself with this radio and bought 2 right off the bat. So I really hope these issues can be fixed via firmware.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Stop streaming public safety comms before encryption kills our hobby!
Old 08-10-2018, 4:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtklamp2 View Post
I don't know what's going on with UHF and VHF but I hope it's not a hardware issue. It has been two weeks now since the last firmware update and they were usually weekly. I really hope they didn't find something wrong with the board as we saw how that went with the 436. I was really looking forward to a firmware upgrade as things tend to get a little better with each one. Hopefully we will see something soon that will correct the missed the conventional analog comms in the UHF and VHF bands. Also I am not having a problem with the blinking LED mine is working exactly as it should I have been testing it for two weeks now so LED problems would be news to me but no doubt I am sure there is some circumstance that is causing a issue with the users who are seeing that. I would also like to add that a good adjustable AGC setting would be quite welcomed as well as my audio is all over the place up and dow, hi and low. I hope we see something helpful pop up soon. I usually don't jump on the first to buy bandwagon but couldn't help myself with this radio and bought 2 right off the bat. So I really hope these issues can be fixed via firmware.

i wouldnt think its the board, SDR's are fickle creatures as it is, i play with them all the time, and they really need a lot of work to set them up properly
Old 08-10-2018, 6:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX4JCW View Post
i wouldnt think its the board, SDR's are fickle creatures as it is, i play with them all the time, and they really need a lot of work to set them up properly
So do I, I have 2 hack RF's, 2 airspy 2's, a couple of expensive USRP'S and some older USB Dongles from when they first became a big thing and 4 or 5 newer ones with the R820T2 chips in them. The only problem is the programs we use for SDR allow the end user to set the gain and many other settings that help us dig out the signals we want to hear. With the SDS100 we are using a SDR without any of the variable settings available to us. I would like to see a beta firmware that allows the end user to tweak some of the more sensitive settings SDR requires. I think if we could take advantage of its SDR base design the scanner would be much more useful and responsive to those of us that know how to use SDR's. Make it a setting in the menu advanced SDR use and basic SDR use. I can't help but feel if we had the ability to control some of the settings for the SDR on the radio the end users may be able to get it working a little better on their individual systems and frequencies and not trying to make a SDR that is one fits all. Just my opinion.

Stop streaming public safety comms before encryption kills our hobby!
Old 08-10-2018, 6:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrtklamp2 View Post
So do I, I have 2 hack RF's, 2 airspy 2's, a couple of expensive USRP'S and some older USB Dongles from when they first became a big thing and 4 or 5 newer ones with the R820T2 chips in them. The only problem is the programs we use for SDR allow the end user to set the gain and many other settings that help us dig out the signals we want to hear. With the SDS100 we are using a SDR without any of the variable settings available to us. I would like to see a beta firmware that allows the end user to tweak some of the more sensitive settings SDR requires. I think if we could take advantage of its SDR base design the scanner would be much more useful and responsive to those of us that know how to use SDR's. Make it a setting in the menu advanced SDR use and basic SDR use. I can't help but feel if we had the ability to control some of the settings for the SDR on the radio the end users may be able to get it working a little better on their individual systems and frequencies and not trying to make a SDR that is one fits all. Just my opinion.

Good idea but also save the default settings in case you mess up

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100
Sponsored links
Old 08-11-2018, 3:48 AM

Saying something good about the AOR DV10 receiver since the Railroads band (160Mhz to 162Mhz) works much better than the Uniden SDS-100.
The SDS-100 (SDS100 Firmware 1.05.00M/1.01.05S Open Beta) misses several analog frequencies and fails to decode NXDN more often
Both units on a telescopic whip antenna 26 5/8 inches fully extended

Last edited by mtndog3; 08-11-2018 at 3:54 AM..
Old 08-11-2018, 5:27 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Correct length for 1/4-wave whip on railroad band is about 18.5 inches, not 26+.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I wonder if PPM has anything to do with it

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100
Old 08-12-2018, 8:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
Correct length for 1/4-wave whip on railroad band is about 18.5 inches, not 26+.
That doesn't negate the fact that the other radio is performing better with the same antenna.
Old Today, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwienke View Post
My AOR DV10 (1807A 2018/07/13 ) out performs (analog / NXDN) my SDS-100 (1.05.00M/1.01.05S Open Beta 07-27-2018)
with 18.5 inch or 26 5/8 inch antenna on the Railroad band (160Mhz to 162Mhz). Both work better with telescopic antenna (26 5/8 inches) fully extended.
Therefore I find myself using the AOR DV10 most of the time for Railroad monitoring.
Also saying something good about the AOR DV10 receiver because of it's 7.4V 2000 mAh Li-ion battery and alkaline battery tray
that makes easy to switch in AA batteries when needed.

Last edited by mtndog3; Today at 12:36 AM..
Old Today, 5:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by APSN556 View Post
That doesn't negate the fact that the other radio is performing better with the same antenna.
Fixing the antenna tuning will help troubleshoot whether the issue is hardware performance, or a firmware bug.

Tags