BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD436HP Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_CCR

So I recently picked up a bcd436hp and have been using Energizer rechargeable batteries I got at Home Depot. They work but have a very short battery life. What would be the best rechargeable batteries for it? Thanks Kevin.

DJ11DLN

Eneloops are popular and work very well. I've lately been using Thunderbolts from Harbor Freight, they last about as long at a fraction of the cost. The 436 is somewhat energy-intensive and tends to eat batteries so you probably won't find a true long-lasting solution. Carry extras in your pocket when you are out and about, that's the "solution" most of us have adopted.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
+1 for Eneloops and their Amazon Basics rebranded equivalents. I rotate through about 3 dozen for my scanners.

This charger & 4AA combo is a great way to get started. I have a 12-AA holder of Amazon Basics AAs (4 sets of 3 spares with 1 set in scanner) dedicated to my BCD436HP.

43349727585_27414b6156_c.jpg

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Eneloops for sure. Although Energizer chargers are fair, the batteries are basically worthless. Their life expectancy, with this user, was very short.

Initially, I bought Eneloops when they were associated with Sanyo. With Panasonic, things are still working quite well with this listener.

The biggest joke for a rechargeable I've yet to encounter came from Batteries Plus. The shelf life of the charge lasted around 48 hours. Then, they were dead. The Eneloop stays charged for a very long time.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
So I recently picked up a bcd436hp and have been using Energizer rechargeable batteries I got at Home Depot. They work but have a very short battery life. What would be the best rechargeable batteries for it? Thanks Kevin.

Also, you can extend run time by minimizing use of the display back light and using the dim option. Keeping the audio volume lower will help as well.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Also turn down the low battery alert in battery settings to 3100mV.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
On average, with a full 14 hour charge how long can the Eneloops last?

Don't charge them in the radio, Get a separate "smart" charger. There are several on the market. I use Maha.

The radio's internal charger is based on time only, not what's left in the battery. If the batteries are dead or if they're fully charged, when you charge them in the radio is goes full term, i.e., however much you have it set in the radio.

Smart chargers will read the charge in the batteries and charge accordingly. In addition, most will cycle batteries and even determine when a battery is no longer useful.

budevans

You want to get batteries that are rated between 2300 mAh and 2700 mAh. Batteries with lower mAh rating have shorter run times.

Eneloop Pro's and Duracell are both good brands.

As others have posted you should get a Smart Charger. Lacrosse or Maha/Powerex are two of the best brands.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
A little more on smart chargers: Each battery is read and charged individually. Furthermore, SOMETIMES you can revive seemingly dead batteries. It usually takes a couple of day's worth of "recycling" it. It's not usually as good as new but it's better than dead.

andrer9999

A little more on smart chargers: Each battery is read and charged individually. Furthermore, SOMETIMES you can revive seemingly dead batteries. It usually takes a couple of day's worth of "recycling" it. It's not usually as good as new but it's better than dead.

The charger I linked has modes especially to do that.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
You want to get batteries that are rated between 2300 mAh and 2700 mAh. Batteries with lower mAh rating have shorter run times.

Eneloop Pro's and Duracell are both good brands.

As others have posted you should get a Smart Charger. Lacrosse or Maha/Powerex are two of the best brands.

I have both the standard 1900mah and Pro 2550 mah Eneloops and IMHO for scanner use the Pro’s don’t offer enough extra battery life to justify the added cost.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have both the standard 1900mah and Pro 2550 mah Eneloops and IMHO for scanner use the Pro’s don’t offer enough extra battery life to justify the added cost.

Then something might be wrong with one or more of the Pros. Because of the mAh, the Pros should last close to 20% longer.

And, batteries do wear out.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Then something might be wrong with one or more of the Pros. Because of the mAh, the Pros should last close to 20% longer.

And, batteries do wear out.

Understood but they cost about 1.5-2x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
That's true but if you want the extra radio time, it's gonna cost you. Quality batteries, properly maintained, will last a long time.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
I gotta agree that 20% more time for 2x the cost, nope. I can quickly change the batteries and get another 8 hours. If they would drop the price to 120% of regular eneloops then I would reconsider.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Here is some excellent technical data on the Panasonic eneloop battery technologies. Not just on how they differ from others, but from each other. Depending on your needs/use, the 'PRO's might not be the best choice. The 'PRO's are for high-drain devices, which the scanner is not (at least not until the Uniden SDS100 was introduced). Also notice the number times "PRO's can be re-charged is significantly less than the eneloop and eneloop lite!

eneloop Technologies
https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/battery/eneloop/technologies.html

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Here is some excellent technical data on the Panasonic eneloop battery technologies. Not just on how they differ from others, but from each other. Depending on your needs/use, the 'PRO's might not be the best choice. The 'PRO's are for high-drain devices, which the scanner is not (at least not until the Uniden SDS100 was introduced). Also notice the number times "PRO's can be re-charged is significantly less than the eneloop and eneloop lite!

eneloop Technologies
https://www.panasonic.com/global/consumer/battery/eneloop/technologies.html

Good information at the web site. It looks pretty credible except for the Q&A about the chargers,

bgav

Premium Subscriber
I gotta agree that 20% more time for 2x the cost, nope. I can quickly change the batteries and get another 8 hours. If they would drop the price to 120% of regular eneloops then I would reconsider.

Exactly my rationale.. Also as noted the Pro's cant be charged as many times = shorter lifespan at 2x the cost for a ~20% increase in battery life (an extra hour or two). Not economically justifiable for me. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.