SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 charge light blinks red w/ new larger battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdp278

Feed Provider
Finally received my new larger battery, and when I attempt to charge, the red charge light begins to blink after a few hours into charging. The battery voltage reads 3.95, so it there a problem w/ the new battery? Never had any problems w/ the original smaller battery, charge light went to green after about 4 hours of charging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phirephoto

Finally received my new larger battery, and when I attempt to charge, the red charge light begins to blink after a few hours into charging. The battery voltage reads 3.95, so it there a problem w/ the new battery? Never had any problems w/ the original smaller battery, charge light went to green after about 4 hours of charging.

How are you charging it? USB cable to wall wart? Through PC?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Mine (w/original small battery) blinked like that when I attempted to charge it thru an 8-port usb hub - not enough voltage. I plug now directly into usb in front of Dell cpu and no problems. Just got the big battery and it has been charging (while in use) since 11am and it is now 10pm and red light is still on (charging) and voltage reads 4.22v. Taking a while!

JD
kf4anc

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Mine (w/original small battery) blinked like that when I attempted to charge it thru an 8-port usb hub - not enough voltage. I plug now directly into usb in front of Dell cpu and no problems. Just got the big battery and it has been charging (while in use) since 11am and it is now 10pm and red light is still on (charging) and voltage reads 4.22v. Taking a while!

JD
kf4anc

I doubt that it's a voltage problem. It's probably low amperage. It'll probably charge with low amperage and maybe it'll charge in time to hear Santa make his rounds. :)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I doubt that it's a voltage problem. It's probably low amperage. It'll probably charge with low amperage and maybe it'll charge in time to hear Santa make his rounds. :)
Also possible that charging is paused for the moment if the battery was getting too warm. If that is the case, it'll resume once the temperature drops back down. As noted, if available current was insufficient, then that would generate a pause as well.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Low or no power would produce low or no heat. Full amperage to the battery could produce some heat but, under normal household conditions, there shouldn't be enough heat to matter.

I'm still bettin' low amperage.

bdp278

Feed Provider
Using a 4 port USB charger rated at 2 amps, with an aftermarket cable. Will give it a try w/ the original cable.

ecarvalho

I don’t understand why you wouldn’t exhaust all possibilities before even posting here ...
Hopefully the original cable and power block give you proper results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Not all chargers are the same.
Use the Factory cable and 110 adapter. A cheap 4 port adapter will only give you 5 volts at 500 mil per port.
The scanner needs 5 volts at 1.5 amps to run and charge.

jasonhouk

When the battery reaches temp threshold the charging circuit shuts off (no red led) until the temperature goes below threshold at which point the charge indicator (red led) will light again.

A blinking red charge indicator is a charging error. Unplug the scanner and plug back in and charging will continue.

A low power, less than 2A power source may start to charge the battery but once the internal resistance increases will not be able to supply enough voltage or amps to complete the charging cycle and the scanners screen will warn and disable the charging circuit while powered on. If powered off the red led indicator will blink and disable the charging circuit.

Another thing I noticed during testing there's a low temperature charging cut off as well (unknown temp) that disables the charging circuit.

Houk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

noaim

Premium Subscriber
I don’t understand why you wouldn’t exhaust all possibilities before even posting here ...
Hopefully the original cable and power block give you proper results.

People come to forums because they need help. Just because you may know the answer and what to try the op may not.

If you don’t like answering people’s questions then maybe a forum is not the place for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ecarvalho

People come to forums because they need help. Just because you may know the answer and what to try the op may not.

If you don’t like answering people’s questions then maybe a forum is not the place for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don’t know the answer. I simply stated a fact. He didn’t try everything he could before asking. Read my post as many times as you can until you understand it.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don’t know the answer. I simply stated a fact. He didn’t try everything he could before asking. Read my post as many times as you can until you understand it.

I didn't see a fact. I saw misgivings and speculation.

Avguy1

Premium Subscriber

JD
kf4anc

A fully depleted "big battery" takes approximately 10 hours to charge with the scanner powered off and connected to a proper 2 amp power supply. It will likely take a while longer if the scanner is powered on and charging at the same time.

Last edited:

noaim

Premium Subscriber

People leave because of people like you that’s a fact your statement had no facts

ecarvalho

noaim please read the entire thread. thanks.
there is a sequence of events. perhaps that would help you understand why i said what i said. and what i said is a fact.

the op thought he had an issue and stated he used a multi port charger along with a 3rd party cable... (post#1). after a few answers he, the op. came back saying he would try then the original charger and cable.(post #7)
my process of thought was to trying understand why the op didn’t try that in the first place, before asking online. so, it was a fact i stated.
I also said i hoped it worked with the original device charger and cable

so there... I also hope you understand now. people may read my post without actually reading what came before... nothing i can do.

its all ok by my count... i know what i said and what i said wasn’t wrong or against the rules here.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
A fully depleted "big battery" takes approximately 10 hours to charge with the scanner powered off and connected to a proper 2 amp power supply. It will likely take a while longer if the scanner is powered on and charging at the same time.

Yup - figgered as much. Not too long after I posted that the green light came on and I was ready to go - thanks!

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.