BCT15 & Programming Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

myR6andme

Hello & Thanks 4 Taking The Time To Read My Thread !! Your Input Is Appreciated !!!

I recently purchased a Uniden BCT15 from Uniden Direct. My intentions are to put this unit inside a custom console I am building for my Ford Expedition. My friends and I travel to Colorado from Missouri about 4 times a year, and I want to program the important freqs from every county we travel through. I purchased UASD Software and it doesn't seem very "user friendly". I haven't had much time to donate to figuring it out. I was hoping that I could get some helpful hints on this software or someone may know of a more comprehensive software that I should use instead.

Once again, thank you for your time and help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's OK, Assaf - you're permitted <grin>

Anyway, there's also BCTool and Scan Control. I have heard very little about the Trunkstar offering.

I'd also download the 'Easier to Read' manual for the BCT15. Although set up for manual programming, it will at least give you some idea of what you are programming, and why.

All of these links are stored in our BCT15 wiki page...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCT15

73 Mike

Sarge43

Premium Subscriber
I have free scan and its loaded up with what I want. Now what do I do to the bct15 to upload from free scan?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Sarge you haven't said anything here about whether you've made the connection between the BCT15 and your PC (and I assume, since most new PCs are like this, that you will need a serial-USB converter..), set up the BCT15's ports, and so on. Here are a few links from the FreeScan User Guide (which is hosted here) to get you started...

Freescan - Connecting Scanner to PC - The RadioReference Wiki

Freescan Virtual Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Freescan Upload - The RadioReference Wiki

Even if you haven't uploaded anything to the BCT15 yet, using the Virtual Scanner should show you what is basically on the scanner's display (even if you just have it sitting on a NOAA weather channel). If you see that, you're ready to upload.

73 Mike

lom3ardo

Premium Subscriber
DO NOT DOWNLOAD FREESCAN!!!!!!!

I may a bit affected by bias but I recommend using FreeSCAN

I just installed "FreeSCAN" from your link and had to do a system restore because all it did was take over my computer. The link should be taken down!!!! Every time I went online my browser would go to every website it wanted to on it's own "hijacked". Trust me, DON'T DOWNLOAD IT! I will try to post the link for the RIGHT software.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I just installed "FreeSCAN" from your link and had to do a system restore because all it did was take over my computer. The link should be taken down!!!! Every time I went online my browser would go to every website it wanted to on it's own "hijacked". Trust me, DON'T DOWNLOAD IT! I will try to post the link for the RIGHT software.

No offense but there is some other piece of software that has caused your issues
and NOT Freescan. As someone that has a background in I.T. I would not promote
a piece of software that was malware or that would cause problems for anyones
computer.
Once again for the record: Freescan is safe software to run and is NOT malware.
Marshall KE4ZNR

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

I can't even begin to imagine how many times Freescan has been downloaded and installed by countless members of this site and others.

If there was a problem with the download from Sixspot Software, these forums would be over run with complaints and warnings.

But.... there is only yours. What does that tell you?

The correct link is:

FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

and there is no virus there, nor has there ever been.

If that's where you downloaded from, you got a virus or malware from somewhere else my friend, and it's unfortunate that you placed the blame on them.

And your statement "Trust Me", about not downloading Freescan..... that's not going to happen.

Last edited:

lom3ardo

Premium Subscriber
Very sorry

I can't even begin to imagine how many times Freescan has been downloaded and installed by countless members of this site and others.

If there was a problem with the download from Sixspot Software, these forums would be over run with complaints and warnings.

But.... there is only yours. What does that tell you?

The correct link is:

FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

and there is no virus there, nor has there ever been.

If that's where you downloaded from, you got a virus or malware from somewhere else my friend, and it's unfortunate that you placed the blame on them.

And your statement "Trust Me", about not downloading Freescan..... that's not going to happen.

I am very sorry for that post. It was malware from somewhere else. I put the blame on them because after I did the system restore, I went to re-instal Freescan and my virus scan wouldn't let me and it deleted it. I tried it again and the same. After being so frustrated with about 3 hrs of trying to find out what was wrong, the only thing that I could think of is that it had to be freescan because of my virus scan saying it is. I found a website where somebody else was having the same problem, but found out it was Norton trust not letting it be installed. So he said he shut the virus scan and installed it with no problems. I did the same and it works with no problem at all. I'm using it right now and was going to come back here and delete my comment and post a new one telling what happened to me and if somebody was going to install Freescan, shut off your virus scan first. I don't know if other virus scans are doing it, but Norton will not let you install it. It says something about "Trust" and deletes it. So now that this is up here, I hope it helps somebody wanting to use Freescan because it really makes it 100% easier to use and program your scanner. I should say for the BCT15X being that's the only one I've used it for, but thank God I did or I'd be still putting info in a week from now. It only took me about 10 minutes with Freescan and I really like that I can change anything I want on the scanner in minutes and not hrs. Again, sorry for the bad and WRONG feedback.

lom3ardo

Premium Subscriber
This was WRONG feedback

PLEASE DISREGARD THAT WHOLE THING.
I was 100% wrong about Freescan. My virus scan "Norton" was telling me it was a virus and deleting it when I tried to install it. I'm not going to re-type the whole thing again, but you can read the reply I just posted to "fxdscon" about this. Bottom line is Freescan IS NOT A VIRUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.