RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2005, 12:13 PM

Default BC8500XLT isn't backlit anymore. Replace bulb?

Anyone know how to go about fixing this? This radio used to be backlit but now it's not? Is there a way to replace the bulb?
Sponsored links
Old 04-16-2005, 12:12 AM

I looked into it once and basically came up with that it could not be fixed, even by the factory. I suppose if some major parts were replaced maybe, but I hit a dead-end on it, even after taking it apart. :shock:

- Rob
Old 04-16-2005, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkRob
I looked into it once and basically came up with that it could not be fixed, even by the factory. I suppose if some major parts were replaced maybe, but I hit a dead-end on it, even after taking it apart. :shock:

- Rob
I figured it can't hurt to ask. Maybe we can get a replacement sometime in the future. Later.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

While were on the subject of backlights, anyone know how to replace the backlights on a 895xlt? Uniden wants $50 to do it
Old 09-24-2010, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommShrek View Post
Anyone know how to go about fixing this? This radio used to be backlit but now it's not? Is there a way to replace the bulb?
I've found over the years it's not the lights, but rather it's the driver transistor and sometimes the resistor next to that transistor.

Transistor Q 46 and check resistor R 256.
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 PM

Here is a picture of the replacement transistor installed on the main board of the BC-8500XLT radio. Notice that the flat side of the transistor faces the front panel.

To replace the transistor, follow these instructions:

Remove the 5 screws holding the top cover and carefully slide the top cover back.

Unplug the two pin speaker connector and now the top cover can be completely removed and set aside.

Remove the 5 screws holding the bottom cover, slip it off and set it aside.

There are 5 screws holding the front control panel onto the radio frame: 4 flat heads and one pan head. Remove those screws and carefully slip a small straight slot screwdriver underneath the release tabs on each side of the panel. Panel slides straight off, but you only need to move it just enough to get your soldering iron and solder sucker into the area around Q 46.

Now unsolder and replace Q 46. Be sure to resolder resistor R 256 next to the transistor also.

Now reassemble and enjoy your radio and lighted display!
Attached Images