ROM Error\Flash-ROM test error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONTScan

Premium Subscriber
Just purchased the BCD396T, I keep receiving the above errors.
I have properly installed a USB to serial driver in port 4 it is recognized and there are NO problems with that.
Due to these errors I am unable to get my ESN to register and upload the most recent software, as well, I am no longer able to turn on my scanner.
When I attempt to turn on my scanner the screen displays the message ROM error and shuts the scanner down.
I have attempted to call Uniden but am unable to get through, it seems they have a high call volume today, and even the other day when I called then to inquire about something else.
I have sent an email and am awaiting a responce. In the meantime are there any other suggestions from anyone out there?
Who should I be speaking with at Uniden?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Try doing the ESN_Loader update again. If it reports that the scanner already has an ESN, use the ESN and checksum reported by the ESN_Loader to register your scanner and get a V3 key. Then, apply the V3 update using that key.

ONTScan

Premium Subscriber
Since you just purchased it, contact your vendor for replacement.

Mike

I emailed Uniden, cant get through to them on the phone. Im curious about other issues with this and how it was dealt with.

ONTScan

Premium Subscriber
Try doing the ESN_Loader update again. If it reports that the scanner already has an ESN, use the ESN and checksum reported by the ESN_Loader to register your scanner and get a V3 key. Then, apply the V3 update using that key.

Ya tried running the program again. no success.
does anyone know of another contact phone number or an actual persons email address at uniden? that might be faster.

SCPD

QRT
Uniden replied to you in Post 3.

He is Uniden ie Upman works for and at Uniden so if you have a problem hes the one to ask :)

ps are you the guy i gave my phone number 2 saying that i would load the update for you?
i can fix that:)

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
When you do L/O+6 on power up, do you get a blank screen with the b/l on?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Ok, then, you should be able to do the update from that point. When you run ESN_Loader, what error do you get on the PC?

ONTScan

Premium Subscriber
Ok, then, you should be able to do the update from that point. When you run ESN_Loader, what error do you get on the PC?

error reads "Flash rom test error"
I just got off the phone with uniden tech support they said its still under warrantly, mail it back with a side note for them to install the most recent update and they should be able to do that... is that true?

ONTScan

Premium Subscriber
He is Uniden ie Upman works for and at Uniden so if you have a problem hes the one to ask :)

ps are you the guy i gave my phone number 2 saying that i would load the update for you?
i can fix that:)

I was told by uniden to send it in but if it can be dealt with locally that would be decent.
My only concern is of voiding the warranty.
I would be interested in hearing more though if you could PM me some details.

ONTScan

Premium Subscriber
Yes. If you can't get past that error that is what you should do.

ok, thanks for your help. I have always preferred the quality of Uniden products so rather than throw a tantrum and scream "gimmie my money back" Id prefer a solution that lets me keep my 396T.

Thanks again, BTW I have read some of your articles and posts, it has really cleared things up for me!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sorry this happened to your unit. In the 3 years we've been releasing f/w updates we have only seen 2 or 3 exhibit this behavior...which is absolutely no consolation when you become #4, I know.

ONTScan

Premium Subscriber
Sorry this happened to your unit. In the 3 years we've been releasing f/w updates we have only seen 2 or 3 exhibit this behavior...which is absolutely no consolation when you become #4, I know.

I know its kind of off topic but, do you think Uniden will ever set up shop in Canada.
It beats sending things back to Texas LOL.

ONTScan

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'd never say never, but ...

Well at the very least, we can be thankful for this forum.
I have to say it is one excellent resource.

Thanks again for all the help, to you and everyone who submitted their suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.