396XT Missing First Part of Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt991

Over the past week, I noticed that when a P25 talkgroup becomes active, sometimes I miss the first syllable or so of the transmission. At first, I thought this was due to the amount of time it takes to scan through all the channels. But, after trying a buch of different settings, I decided to hold on one talkgroup and compare the transmissions with my PSR-500. Sure enough, even when holding, I miss the very first part of many transmissions on the XT. The PSR-500 has audio for a brief second prior to the 396XT having audio.

I checked to make sure that I dont have close call enabled, no priority channels are set, weather scan is disabled, battery saver function is turned off, etc.

Any ideas on what else I can check, or change to make the XT receive faster? I cannot find an option to change the P25 waiting time as this is a pure P25 system that I am monitoring. It really seems like the delay that is associated with the P25 wait time but I don't see that setting anywhere for a P25 system.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Since I hadn't observed the condition you describe, I performed the same test by holding on one P25 700 MHz TG with both the 500 and the XT. Both were being fed by the same outside antenna system.

I did observe the same condition you described with XT being a little later with the audio, but it was only about 10-20% of the time. The other 80-90% of the time both the 500 and the XT audio were active at the same time. When the XT was late, it was noticeably late as you indicated. Interestingly, one time the 500 was actually later than the XT.

I don't have any answers on how to fix this, but maybe those more knowledgeable will comment. I'll have to compare the XT with my 996 and see if they are the same.

Dave

frankcastle

Do you have the talkgroup(s) in question set to Digital Only?

I second that. After having similar problems (motor boating too) I switched all my channels to digital only, and the problems went away. I use Freescan. For each talkgroup there is an audio type function. Your choices are ALL DIGITAL ONLY, or ANALOG ONLY.

walt991

I second that. After having similar problems (motor boating too) I switched all my channels to digital only, and the problems went away. I use Freescan. For each talkgroup there is an audio type function. Your choices are ALL DIGITAL ONLY, or ANALOG ONLY.

I see the digital/analog option in Freescan, but where is it on the radio menu?

walt991

I don't think the digital/analog option in Freescan does anything on a P25 system.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Over the past week, I noticed that when a P25 talkgroup becomes active, sometimes I miss the first syllable or so of the transmission. At first, I thought this was due to the amount of time it takes to scan through all the channels. But, after trying a buch of different settings, I decided to hold on one talkgroup and compare the transmissions with my PSR-500. Sure enough, even when holding, I miss the very first part of many transmissions on the XT. The PSR-500 has audio for a brief second prior to the 396XT having audio.

I checked to make sure that I dont have close call enabled, no priority channels are set, weather scan is disabled, battery saver function is turned off, etc.

Any ideas on what else I can check, or change to make the XT receive faster? I cannot find an option to change the P25 waiting time as this is a pure P25 system that I am monitoring. It really seems like the delay that is associated with the P25 wait time but I don't see that setting anywhere for a P25 system.

Not sure if it would have an effect, but do you have the P25 LP enabled?
Settings < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

In the "search for" menu you can set the P25 delay:
SearchFor < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Then you could try a control channel only setting on a custom search in that range to see if the problem still exists.

SearchFor < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

SrchCloCallOpt < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Do you have the talkgroup(s) in question set to Digital Only?
I thought all my XT TGs were set to digital, but when I checked they were set to all. It seems when I converted my 996 files(where TGs were set to digital) to XT files, they got set back to "all" in FreeScan. Setting everything to digital seems to have fixed the small instance of this condition that I observed.

Additionally, the 500 and the XT decode equally well on Idaho P25 System and the audio on the XT seems a little more pleasant to listen to than the 500 audio.

Dave

T

Tiggerpaws

Your in Idaho? I'm saving up for a scanner, does it get
Boise PD and all of its car to car?

walt991

Reconfirm that Close Call DND is turned off.

Confirmed. I even defaulted the radio, then created a new P25 system/site with only one talkgroup. I held on the talkgroup and I am still experiencing a delay at the beginning of the transmission. The PSR-500 is active with audio before the XT.

I will also add that this only happens when the talkgroup goes active from an idle state. If the talkgroup is active, and in the delay period, there is no delay at all.

Is something wrong with my unit or is this a common problem with all units?

T

Tiggerpaws

I guess I better stay at home more,
I don't feel safe not knowing where
to stay away from.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Just received my new 396XT from "CEI" Ann Arbor Michigan, GREAT people to deal with and received in 2 days here in Chicago area...I DO NOT have the first part of a transmission cut off....I do have some dropouts on the ILL Digital Starcom system...I see in the digital decode its set to AUTO 8, can it be set to "MAN 8" as my 396t was, seemed like better control over the decode...Also, some times up in the right hand corner i see T---- T-----, can't find what this is in my downloaded manual....Also some dispatchers are lower in volume than mobiles would the use of the "Digital Audio AGC-ON be better than "OFF"...Thank You....

walt991

Reconfirm that Close Call DND is turned off.

UPMAN- Is Uniden working on new firmware for the 396XT that will make the talkgroup audio respond faster on a true P25 system? I have tried adjusting everything, including changing the P25 adjust level, but I still have a half a sec or so delay on the 396xt when I compare with my PSR500. I have tried this on three different 396XT scanners so far, and they are all the same- they miss the very beginning of audio on a P25 transmission.

Yes, I checked the P25 delay which doesnt exist for a true P25 system. I also checked to make sure all priorities, close call DND and weather are turned off.

In fact I can press hold, sit on one talkgroup for a long time on the 396XT, while leaving the PSR 500 in scan mode, and the PSR500 still has audio a half sec or so before the 396XT.

This NEVER happed when I had a 396T.

Also- P25 adjust level set to 10 seems to make the audio respond a little faster.

DesertRatt

Premium Subscriber
I'm also seeing the same behavior on my conventional channels. I'm missing the first part of the transmission. It also happens when I'm holding on the channel. I'm missing call signs and such.

n4yek

I'm also seeing the same behavior on my conventional channels. I'm missing the first part of the transmission. It also happens when I'm holding on the channel. I'm missing call signs and such.

Just a thought, turn off your battery save function and see if it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.