RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 3:51 PM

Default Strange noise when scanning my 800mhz programmed frequencies

When scanning my 800mhz frequencies which are programmed on my Scanner I get a loud dragging noise like grrrrrr-rap, then it stops and starts back to scan.Is this land noise from the Repeter?If anyone knows.Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2009, 4:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What kind of scanner are you using and on which system does this occur?
Old 09-10-2009, 4:21 PM

Is this an EDACS system? Sounds like a control channel to me.
Old 09-10-2009, 4:36 PM

It is a Uniden BC92XLT.It scans all the programmed frequencies but will sometimes stop on one of them and a loud GRRRRRRRRR like a motor and the sound changes pace then stops and then the Scanner starts to scan and broadcast all my Fire and Police Frequencies.
Old 09-10-2009, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre10 View Post
It is a Uniden BC92XLT.It scans all the programmed frequencies but will sometimes stop on one of them and a loud GRRRRRRRRR like a motor and the sound changes pace then stops and then the Scanner starts to scan and broadcast all my Fire and Police Frequencies.
My guess it sounds like you may have some intermod coming from somewhere, or...

Whatever frequency the noise is coming from is mixing with your Fire and Police Frequencies via the Intermediate Frequency in your scanner.

Check your owner's manual for the intermediate frequency. There is some sort of math you have to do to confirm if the noise on the offending frequency and mixing with you frequencies you wish to monitor in your scanner. The trick is finding the offending frequency. Having 2 scanners helps in this matter.

Try searching in the 450-470 band first for the noise.
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2009, 7:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre10 View Post
When scanning my 800mhz frequencies which are programmed on my Scanner I get a loud dragging noise like grrrrrr-rap, then it stops and starts back to scan.Is this land noise from the Repeter?If anyone knows.Thanks.
This sounds like a data burst from the control channel at a trunked site that is on the outer limits of your reception range. Strong enough to occasionaly open the squelch but, not quite strong enough to lock on to and decode with any consistency. As pointed out by others, intermod from a powerful nearby tower is a strong pssibility.

How many signal bars are you showing when it happens? We're assuming that you're not using any type of pre-amp.

Last edited by sjlamb; 09-10-2009 at 7:45 PM..