"Normal Charging"

Status
Not open for further replies.

325xia

Premium Subscriber
Does the "Normal Charging", when hooked to the BCD396XT and turned "Off", ever change to anything else? I have had mine on charge overnight. And it always shows the same status. Just curious.

Thx

aharry

On my BR330T if you turn the internal charging off it says "Charging Off" and if charging is on and you plug in the AC adapter with no batteries it says "No Batteries" and if batteries are installed it says "Normal Charging" , but it never says anything like "Charging Complete" if that is what you are asking...

BHinAZ

It will also display a message similar to Pre Charging, when the batteries are very low. It may then automatically change the message to Normal Charging, depending on the condition of the batteries.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes, the internal charger takes approx 14 hours to fully charge fully depleted stock batteries. This is a standard slow charge rate.

You should understand, though, that the scanner has no way to detect a full charge. "Charge Complete" means that the scanner has charged for the continuous duration you set (default 14 hours) and does not mean that the batteries are fully charged.

jclarkr6

Does it really take 14 hours with the stock batteries depleted to get a full charge on the BCD396XT? Just seems like a really long time.

To change how long it takes to fully charge your BCD396XT, go to MENU > SETTINGS > BATTERY OPTION > SET CHARGE TIME > (Then enter the amount of time you would like your scanner to be fully charged).

Personally, I have my 396XT set to be fully charged in 5 hours.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Note that that setting only changes how long the scanner charges in a single session. It does not affect how long it takes to fully charge the batteries. Even if you set the timer to turn charging off in 5 hours, it still takes 14 hours to fully charge fully discharged batteries.

325xia

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I understand. Why would they have this Charger Timing option if it takes 14 Hours to charge a fully discharged set of batteries? Seems like you should leave it at 14.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Some people want to limit charging in the scanner to prevent inadvertant overcharge, while still allowing for "top-off" charging.

325xia

Premium Subscriber
Well, this still makes no sense. Since there is no way of knowing if you are "Overcharging", when you have no idea how much life is left from/since use of the scanner. Unless, you keep time of how long you had it On since you last charged. Then go into the Menu and adjust the Charging Time. Ridiculous.
Not Ranting. Just making a statement based on what was told here.

Thx!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Correct, there is no way to detect the charge state of AA NiMH batteries being charged in series (at any charge rate). Since the charge rate is low, most overcharge energy is dissipated as heat, but there is always some incremental loss of capacity whenever you overcharge. Having the timer option gives you the option to limit your "worst case" overcharge. Many people don't run their scanners dead before charging. For them, a lower charge time is appropriate. If you always run the batteries dead before charging, then the 14-hour time is appropriate. I'm open to other suggestions as to how it should work (but the inability to detect charge state isn't something that can be overcome in the current state of the art, so don't bother going there...).

325xia

Premium Subscriber
I totally understand. Thanks for the useful information. I will leave it at 14, since I operate the scanner for long periods of time, (8 Hours or so). Ni Mh batteries are so cheap, (Price wise), these days, that it is hardly worth worrying over whether I'm ruining these batteries.

Last edited:

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
An alternative solution, pick up a Maha Wizard charger...it's a 'smart' charger and has some very nice routines for maintaining the life of the batteries.

I'm currently rotating two sets of batts, using batts all the time on my 396XT and getting about 12hrs of use from a set...though both sets are quite new.

I did the break-in option on the Maha for both sets that takes about 40hrs to complete each, then I've been using 700mah or 800mah rate to do the normal charging.

325xia

Premium Subscriber
^^ Thanks for the suggestion. But, I prefer using the Charger/AC Adapter that came with the Scanner for Battery Charging. As, it was designed for this purpose. I don't want to be taking the back door off and inserting batteries every time I need to use my Scanner, (which is daily). I like to just plug-it-in and unplug-it and go.

jclarkr6

Note that that setting only changes how long the scanner charges in a single session. It does not affect how long it takes to fully charge the batteries. Even if you set the timer to turn charging off in 5 hours, it still takes 14 hours to fully charge fully discharged batteries.

Thanks for clarifying my comment, UPMan. I did not realize that this setting did not effect how long it took to fully charge the battery. I learn something new about this great scanner every day!

Status
Not open for further replies.