RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 8:33 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"i will test on win98 and see if there is a solution."

A solution for what? I run on Win98 with no problems at all, I think it's all going to depend on your particular setup.
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2005, 8:46 AM

[/quote] Posted: 07-10-2005 01:37 AM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has to be an OS problem with me Win98SE. I dont think the software is recognizing it as such, I think it thinks I have Win98 which is not supported by the software. Some of the online scanner functions work and others do not, when I return to the software it tells me there is a communications error. Along with not be able to connect to the scanner after reading all of the data this has to be a OS problem with me.

When I press the "Start" on the OS, along side it it says Win98SE.

Quote:
Posted: 07-10-2005 12:24 PM Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when i get a 396 (hopefully on tuesday), i will test on win98 and see if there is a solution.

bill simpson
n1jbs

nuff said
Old 07-10-2005, 9:45 AM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default Re: Another first impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
an insinuation that the BNC was lossy or more lossy than the SMA.
The BNC is more lossy then the SMC. Just not at the frequencies the 396 covers. I've never seen a BNC connector on a microwave radio except at IF frequencies. Everything I've seen up to 23Ghz has always used SMA.

Quote:
I just wanted to put the BNC loss myth to rest. No matter what the reason for the switch, it was not due to lower loss. Or if it was, it was based on bad intel. 8)
Joe M.
True, I don't believe that the switch was based on loss.

I find that the SMA connector makes a better mechanical connection with the scanner. I prefer a screwed in connector rather then the somewhat sloppy BNC connector. Most BNC's I've seen rely on two 'fingers' that split apart when the center pin is inserted between them. My 785 and 296 have this style of female connector. The SMA's I've seen all rely on a pin and socket type of arrangement where the female end is one complete piece. I'd guess it has less chance of splitting apart with multiple insertions.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:20 AM

OK - maybe I missed it but can anyone explain the up/down arrow
on the right side of the "ID SEARCH" / "ID SCAN" line? I've seen
it pointing both up and down at various times... but I don't know
why and/or how it is controlled...

:?

BTW - I'm pretty happy with performance so far -- the digital quality,
although still not what I'd like it to be, is better than the 296. I think
most of my problem is reception. I'm not far from 2 digital systems
(just west and north of my location/county) but they still seem pretty
weak when it comes to reception - which really affects the digital
quality.

The BATTERY life is EXCELLENT! I'm rotating 3 sets of NiMH batteries
and I'm getting probably 8-10 hours out of each set... constant use, screen
backlit ON most of the time, etc.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail
OK - maybe I missed it but can anyone explain the up/down arrow on the right side of the "ID SEARCH" / "ID SCAN" line? I've seen it pointing both up and down at various times... but I don't know
It indicates the direction of scan (just like all the other Uniden digital scanners). Either Up or Down through the channels (either conv. freq. or TRS TG's). It is controlled by the knob on top. Clockwise is UP and Counter-Clockwise is down.
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2005, 10:45 AM

Quote:
OK - maybe I missed it but can anyone explain the up/down arrow
on the right side of the "ID SEARCH" / "ID SCAN" line? I've seen
it pointing both up and down at various times... but I don't know
Scan up or scan down, controlled by the multi function knob.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loumaag
Quote:
OK - maybe I missed it but can anyone explain the up/down arrow on the right side of the "ID SEARCH" / "ID SCAN" line? I've seen it pointing both up and down at various times... but I don't know
It indicates the direction of scan (just like all the other Uniden digital scanners). Either Up or Down through the channels (either conv. freq. or TRS TG's). It is controlled by the knob on top. Clockwise is UP and Counter-Clockwise is down.

Ah - I figured as much but didn't know how it worked... I've owned
Uniden scanners since the days of the crystal controlled BC-IV... I
cannot recall ever seeing/hearing about controlling the direction of
the scanning.... search direction (maybe) on conventional channels...
Old 07-10-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Qck Save Grp

Anyone know why this flashes on the the screen even if the radio is monitoring a trunk sytem? :?
PRO-64, PRO-95,PRO-96,PRO-2096,PRO-197,PRO-106
Old 07-10-2005, 11:14 AM

Posted: 07-10-2005 02:48 PM Post subject:

loumaag wrote:
troymail wrote:

the bc250.296 has a arrow- i guess you dont pay any attention to it!

bill simpson
n1jbs
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Silent Key - Aug 2014
Database Admin

Default Re: Qck Save Grp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhl
Anyone know why this flashes on the the screen even if the radio is monitoring a trunk sytem? :?
What is flashing? If you refer to the arrow, it doesn't flash on mine.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Oxlong
Quote:
The BNC is more lossy then the SMC. Just not at the frequencies the 396 covers. I've never seen a BNC connector on a microwave radio except at IF frequencies. Everything I've seen up to 23Ghz has always used SMA.

Quote:
I just wanted to put the BNC loss myth to rest. No matter what the reason for the switch, it was not due to lower loss. Or if it was, it was based on bad intel. 8)
Joe M.
True, I don't believe that the switch was based on loss.

I find that the SMA connector makes a better mechanical connection with the scanner. I prefer a screwed in connector rather then the somewhat sloppy BNC connector. Most BNC's I've seen rely on two 'fingers' that split apart when the center pin is inserted between them. My 785 and 296 have this style of female connector. The SMA's I've seen all rely on a pin and socket type of arrangement where the female end is one complete piece. I'd guess it has less chance of splitting apart with multiple insertions.
BINGO! We have a winner.

Insertion Loss and Return Loss. Add in a little Digital Noise issue, and you have a method for comparison.

At the frequencies of any of todays scanners, BNC/SMA, who cares! Best of all, Scanners do not transmit, thus eliminating some of the issue.

Good, and I do mean GOOD (Not the ones supplied as an antenna port on a $500, or $200 scanner) BNC connectors are generally acceptable to about 4Ghz. However, most design folks would not use them over 2Ghz out of principals and age old discriminations against older, badly manufactured BNC connectors. The BNC cousin, the TNC is considered a better substitution with staying power and less mechanical noise possibilities. Most of your newer, higher dollar spectrum analyzers and service monitors will sport TNCs at least on the receive side of things. SMA connectors are quite simply, a Microwave Connector. They are good to 13Ghz and even higher with the higher dollar versions. Mechanical noise and return loss is generally much better in an SMA, but again, only at the 4Ghz and above frequency ranges.

You will find that in test equipment that ROUTINELY is designed for measuring return loss at higher frequencies, SMA and N still rule the day, with TNC a close second.

Most RF designs with SMA vs BNC such as scanners and two way radios, are primarily chosen due to mechanical design features of the mounting point of the connector more than the RF characteristics of the connector. At scanner freqs, this is the only reason for the choice, not because of any perceived "improvement" of one vs the other. As the consumer, our choice in these two cases should be ease of use and mechanical ruggedness, forget about RF improvements, there isn't any! Of course the real issue is how the antenna manufacturer designed the interface between antenna and the antenna's connector, as probably half the antennas performace "ability" lies at that point!

http://www.macpassradio.com
Mac Pass Radio, LLC
Old 07-10-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Qck Save Grp

Quote:

The words "Qck Save Grp" flashes or alternates between whatever I'm monitoring and it. It only does it once the radio has stopped on a transmission or Hold not while during ID-Scan or ID-Search.
PRO-64, PRO-95,PRO-96,PRO-2096,PRO-197,PRO-106
Old 07-10-2005, 1:02 PM
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
Database Admin

[quote="wr7agt As the consumer, our choice in these two cases should be ease of use and mechanical ruggedness, forget about RF improvements[/quote]

You really have to give Uniden credit here. For whatever reason(s) they changed to the SMA connector, they gave us the SMA->BNC adaptor. Most people probably have accumulated many BNC type antennas over the years and the adaptor allows their use. If at some point people decide to start investing in SMA type antennas, the adaptor can be removed.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 07-10-2005, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Oxlong
Quote:
The BNC is more lossy then the SMC. Just not at the frequencies the 396 covers.
Since the object of interest is the 396, performance on frequencies outside its range really doesn't matter when selecting a connector for it. I doubt those frequencies ever will matter since frequencies in that range are not scannable (or I should say decodable) for the most part. Coverage above 1.3 GHz is mostly a gimmick to make the specs look better. The sinular exception to that might be the 2.4 GHz Ham band. But really, the 1.2 GHz ham band is the only thing monitorable above 956 MHz in the current unit, too.

My main complaint is that it takes much more time to switch antennas. There are many times I will be driving and need to switch to a mobile antenna to (continue to) monitor a system.

My other main complaint is that it's nearly impossible to keep an external antenna TIGHT on the connector. It always loosens up while moving the scanner around. There is nothing to hold it in place like there is with the BNC.

I guess another complaint is the availability of Low Band antennas with SMA connectors (not that I relish the thought of all that weight on an SMA connector).

Joe M.
Old 07-10-2005, 3:00 PM

Default Re: Qck Save Grp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhl
Quote:

The words "Qck Save Grp" flashes or alternates between whatever I'm monitoring and it. It only does it once the radio has stopped on a transmission or Hold not while during ID-Scan or ID-Search.
It sounds like you saved a TG to the Quick Save group, and that's what group it's receiving on.

Check your groups for one named "Qck Save Grp".

Joe M.
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2005, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsimpson771
Posted: 07-10-2005 02:48 PM Post subject:

loumaag wrote:
troymail wrote:

the bc250.296 has a arrow- i guess you dont pay any attention to it!

bill simpson
n1jbs
Apparently not...
Old 07-10-2005, 3:46 PM

I assume it's a performance thing but...

Why are we limited to 20 "groups" in a system? I was entering Howard County Maryland with the UASD software and assumed this was a UASD issue -- I just looked at the manual and it confirms 20 groups per system...

Well - it's better than what we had before.... I grant you that!
Old 07-10-2005, 4:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

[quote=Mike_Oxlong]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "wr7agt As the consumer, our choice in these two cases should be ease of use and mechanical ruggedness, forget about RF improvements[/quote

You really have to give Uniden credit here. For whatever reason(s) they changed to the SMA connector, they gave us the SMA->BNC adaptor. Most people probably have accumulated many BNC type antennas over the years and the adaptor allows their use. If at some point people decide to start investing in SMA type antennas, the adaptor can be removed.
Yep, and in the case of my IFR-1900 Service Monitor, I had to go buy TNC to BNC adapters. I already have a dozen variations on SMA to BNC and back. I am sure the guy that designed the microwave Spectrum Analyzer I use routinely, probably would roll in his grave if he knew I was converting his gold SMA connectors on the box to BNC, but hey, whatever works. I can't stand SMA connectors, not for any performance issue or even ruggedness, they are good, but as much as I hate installing BNC connectors on cable, SMAs make BNCs look easy, especially the fine angle connectors. I am using ARR preamps on several UHF repeaters and we ordered the preamp with SMA connectors for noise issues, now I have to build the jumpers. It is a never ending battle!

http://www.macpassradio.com
Mac Pass Radio, LLC
Old 07-10-2005, 7:25 PM

Quote:
I assume it's a performance thing but...

Why are we limited to 20 "groups" in a system? I was entering Howard County Maryland with the UASD software and assumed this was a UASD issue -- I just looked at the manual and it confirms 20 groups per system...

Well - it's better than what we had before.... I grant you that!
Probably because they figured an average group would have 10 TGs in it, and there is a 200 TG limit per system.

I just wish there were 20 GQKs to go with it. 8)

Joe M.
Old 07-10-2005, 7:50 PM

Default ID Search vs ID Scan

I monitor a system that splits their traffic into east and west zones. Each zone has different C-Channels and I have created 2 different systems on the 396T.

Some talk groups are county-wide and transmit in both zones. Other talk groups are broken between the two zones. The zones are Smart in the fact that only regional towers within the zone transmit depending on the TGID.

I built both systems with the entire list of known TGIDs, although clearly some TGIDs will never be broadcast on the far edge towers of the opposite zone.

My questions is will it take longer to ID Search or ID Scan each system? I have I-Call ON and the TG wildcard 700000 set in each system, and system hold time set to 0. I'm trying to keep scan time down and still capture the traffic on each zone.

Any suggestions?