Official BCD396T Discussion Thread (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The BC396 is starting to arrive in peoples hands. Discuss here, and of course enjoy!

• Compact Design With Dynamic Memory
• APCO 25 Digital Scanner
• Close Call™ RF Capture Technology - Instantly tunes to signals from nearby transmitters
• Preprogramed Service Searches (12)
• 6000 Dynamically Allocated channels - (3000 typical)
• Trunktracker IV
• CTCSS/DCS Decode
• S.A.M.E. Weather Alert - Specific Area Message Encoding - During a NOAA Weather or Emergency Alert, a code for your specific location will alert you to severe conditions in your immediate area.
• Alpha Tagging
• PC Control/Programming (Software Included)
• Backlit Keypad - Makes it easy to use in low-light conditions.
• Fire Tone-Out
• Beep Alert
• Menu Driven Design
• Total Channel Control
• Search Plus

Scanner Master (ScannerMaster.com ) will have 50+ units ready to ship tomorrow (Thursday June 29th).

You can order here at this link and see more details.

Enjoy!

safetyobc

Respectfully, the scanner has 6000 channels now. No more 3000 typical. Will accept 6000 channels regardless of alpha tag use.

jdanon

Wonder if Lindsay meant Scanner Master was shipping today (the 29th) or Thursday. I live so close that I'll get mine the next day even using the slowest ground shipping which means tomorrow or Friday (assuming I'm high enough up on the list to get one out of this first shipment).

JGP

I want to share this idea with the people who will use the BCD396T as a desk-top scanner because of its small size.

I purchased a lamp with a five inch magnifier lens from Office Depot. The arm attaches to the back of the desk and can be moved forward, back, up, and down. You just lean back and enjoy your large display--no eye strain.

With an amplified speaker, it will look and sound great!

My scanner should arrive any time now. I have a preorder dated March of 2005.

Joel :D

kikito

Premium Subscriber
JMedley_1 said:
Any news on Uniden BCD396T software yet?

It'll probably get released sometime next week along with the first firmware update for the radio.

Hey, I guessed right again!, from another thread here:

Paul .O said:
Due to the changes made for the firmware update, UASD had to have a few tweaks. I expect both the firmware update and UASD to be released next week sometime (but the approval process almost always takes longer than I expect, so no promises, yet).

SCPD

QRT
Why wait til tomorrow when www.scannersunlimited.com has them today.

This is where I buy my stuff .. and am very happy doing so as it is one of the only places that give us Canadians no hassles because we live out of the US. :p

ScanWorcester

Feed Provider

JMR

UPMan is working hard on the software so hopefully soon. If you want to start creating files use the demo software for the 246t, the file types and format are the same. Once the the BCD396TUASD comes available you can then just create a config and write it to the scanner.

whsbuss

JMR said:
UPMan is working hard on the software so hopefully soon. If you want to start creating files use the demo software for the 246t, the file types and format are the same. Once the the BCD396TUASD comes available you can then just create a config and write it to the scanner.

Great idea. I already built my 3 major systems with the 246T_UASD and have the files ready to copy to the new software config.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Well I got my 396 around 10 AM this morning. Without software, I decided not to load too much in immediately. I did load the two closest digital systems that I have nearby the Langley AFB 400MHz system and the new P25 9600 Baud 800 MHz for York County.

I also added a sampling of talk groups and then meandered off to work. :( As I live in York County and drive by Langley on the way to work, the two system did get tested.

Initial impressions.

Pros
1. The digital audio quality is better than any of the digitial receivers I have (a BC250, BC796 and RS PRO 96). Does not sound as tinny as the others do.

2. I liked the signal strength meter, though for REALLY weak signals, the singal bar looks like a spot on the display.

3. I still love the size, but there is a down side to that (see the cons below)

4. Reception on the two systems, even in a metal frame building, was very good.

5. The audio through the computer sound card to my headsets was good. Can we say the joys of working in the land of cubicles.

6. Except for the belt clip pole (see cons 2 below), I like the feel of the radio.

Cons.
1. Though the SMC connector feels tilghter, I would have preferred to see a BNC. Even with the adapter (which IMHO should be telling Uniden something). As I have stated previously, this change really negated $500 worth of antenna's. If I were only going to use one antenna, then the SMC connector is probably a good call. As I use several antennae, depending on what I am listening too and how I am carrying the scanner, the threaded fitting is a pain. Just my two cents.

2. I do not like the belt clip. Here we have a nice compact scanner and then add a belt clip that nearly doubles the thickness of the radio and makes this neat compact radio a real challenge to handle. I have the same complaint on my cell phone. The metal post used to attach the clip does have a screw and it may be able to come off, but I haven't checked this out just yet. When I put the scanner in the car, it now has to lie on the passenger seat (or the passengers lap) because the post impedes my alternate method of mounting handheld scanners in my car. Velcro.

Still to be decided
1. The single multi purpose knob for the volume, squelch and selecting. As I haven't put a conventional frequency in yet and I haven't read the manual, I have not figured out how to change the squlech. So far, I am not all that impressed with having to push the knob down and then turn it to adjust the volume. Will definately take some getting used to.

2. The combination light and power button.

Now that I am home from work, I'll sit down and play a bit more. These are my initial impressions. Just taking it out of the box and using my 246 experience to set it up with two system and six sub groups.

I have also swapped out the out of the box antenna and replaced it with a Diamond RH518 wide band antenna. I have used the BNC version of this antenna in the past and I like it. It is 'advertised' for 144/440/1200 MHz ham radios and wide band reception. I'll load the Viirginia State Police and a couple of other VHF-HI freqs in shortly and see how well this combination works. I have a Comet stubby antenna (BNC, but they have an SMC version of it) that I want to try out as well.

I will definately post more as I get used to the features and have some time to get it going. Please bear in mind this is just 15 minutes of programming and 30 or so minutes on the road listening.

ScanWorcester

Feed Provider
LEH said:
Please bear in mind this is just 15 minutes of programming and 30 or so minutes on the road listening.

How could you possibly think of making us wait that long?! :twisted:

Just kidding, of course. Thanks for the thoughts/first impression. While I'm hooked on the look/feel/performance of the 246, something tells me I'll be sharing a lot of your pro's and con's with this one.

whsbuss

Nice preliminary review. As we get our units in the next few days, there will be many pros and cons abound. I do like the fact you think the digital audio is better than most radios. That's my major concern.

dynamitedjs

Lynn, it has been said you can hear other digital localities from at least 50 miles away. Would you like to experiment and see if you could pick up henrico county? Let us know the results if you get a chance.

T.I.A.

dannyg

LEH said:
Here we have a nice compact scanner and then add a belt clip that nearly doubles the thickness of the radio and makes this neat compact radio a real challenge to handle.

I unscrewed the post and also removed the plastic thingy beneath it. The back looks a bit unfinished this way, but at least the post won't stab me when I carry it in a pocket. And now I can put it in a pocket.

If only I could get the San Mateo County P25 system to track (see thread in the California forum).

Status
Not open for further replies.