RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 AM

Regarding my post above, I am starting to surmise that pressing 'hold' while in FTO mode simulates what happens after an alert (since I have not had an actual alert yet I cannot confirm). In other words, if the display says FTO Mode and then alerts due to a tone out, the display will now say FTO Detect and the 396 will monitor the frequency for all chatter and stay that way until hold is pressed again. However, while in FTO Detect, the unit will NOT alert if it detects a tone. This is why my 396 did not alert when my test station toned out as I was monitoring the channel in FTO detect mode.

UPMan - can you confirm this? The manual is silent on this issue.

If this is true, PLEASE consider this for a firmware update. The 396 should still detect tones and alert even when in FTO Detect mode. This would allow the user to keep the volume set at 3 or 4 to monitor chatter with half an ear but the user could set the alert to 15 if the tones are detected. It also allows the user to confirm the tone out is working because, otherwise, you never know if you missed a tone out unless you have another radio.
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2005, 10:45 AM

Well, no sooner did I post the last post then it happened. TONE OUT WORKS!!! While in Tone Out Mode, my test station received a fire box and the 396 alerted. Here is what happens: The alert tone sounds but the squelch DOES NOT open. It simply sounds the alert and stays in tone out mode so you hear no audio. You will need to manually press the hold button to hear the audio.

SO, it does work, but in my opinion this feature needs some work. I would like the squelch to open once it gets the alert, i.e., the 396 goes into FTO Detect mode.

I will try turning the alert to OFF and see if it opens the squelch instead, i.e., if that setting will have the 396 go to FTO Detect instead.

But at the very least I can confirm that FTO works.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
SO, it does work, but in my opinion this feature needs some work. I would like the squelch to open once it gets the alert, i.e., the 396 goes into FTO Detect mode.
Hello,

The 396 does open the squelch after a FTO. What is your Delay time? If the announcement takes longer than the Delay Time, the unit goes into STANDBY before the announcement. The next firmware revision will have an INFINITE Delay setting so you don't miss the announcements.

Dave AKA The Tripzter :shock:
Old 07-08-2005, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager

Post what you have and maybe we can help you out.

Joe M.
Sad to say, but this is all I have to work with my county.

http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanner/acfrcapc.txt

Thanks,
Brandon G.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8tdigitalradio
Quote:
Hello,

The 396 does open the squelch after a FTO. What is your Delay time? If the announcement takes longer than the Delay Time, the unit goes into STANDBY before the announcement. The next firmware revision will have an INFINITE Delay setting so you don't miss the announcements.

Dave AKA The Tripzter :shock:
I see said the blind man. I was wondering what the delay setting was for! It is set to 2 seconds so I will increase it. THANKS!

edit: I pulled up the manual on Uniden's site which is updated and explains this perfectly. I should have checked there first.)
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

Thanks,
Brandon G.
Looks like they correlate to Motorola Quick Call 2. See http://www.genave.com/mot_quick_call_2.htm
Old 07-08-2005, 12:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default FTO on trunked talkgroups?

Does this feature work on trunked talkgroups also or just a conventional frequency?

Some of the agencies I monitor don't get toned on VHF any longer, they get a two-tone sequence sent over their trunked talkgroup then a warble alert then the dispatcher.

-b-
Old 07-08-2005, 1:16 PM

I have the tones for My County, but no ifo on duration or tone gap just the tones. I left the duration and tone gap at default. Tone out is not working so obviously that may be my problem. They are plectron tones. Am I missing somthing or do I need to find the duration and tone gap for it to work.
EDIT: I found the duration for Plectron pagers at the links MREDDING provided thanks, still not sure about tone gap though.
Old 07-08-2005, 3:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default 2 Tone

Allright here's what I know, perhaps someone could direct me to doing this the right way.

Operating Frequency 154.2650 IFFERN
1082 Hz (1.5 sec.) 1ST
701 Hz (3.5 sec.) 2ND

How do we go setting that up, as far as miliseconds go? That the puzzle I'm having. I realize the tone does not decode as ctcss/dcs does like some of us would like it to, like close call. It may have been wiser to have that feature as well installed, however I hear timing is always in issue.

On a side note, my local fd on 154.3700 Pl / ctcss 103.5 always chops out there two tone on my scanner. There not the only agency this happens with. They have a contract dispatch serivce and it happens with the other fds as well. I know they do not have the same issue otherwise it would have been corrected already. So, the question is what do I have to d to fix for the issue.
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2005, 3:44 PM

Default Re: 2 Tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY2002
Allright here's what I know, perhaps someone could direct me to doing this the right way.

Operating Frequency 154.2650 IFFERN
1082 Hz (1.5 sec.) 1ST
701 Hz (3.5 sec.) 2ND

How do we go setting that up, as far as miliseconds go? That the puzzle I'm having. I realize the tone does not decode as ctcss/dcs does like some of us would like it to, like close call. It may have been wiser to have that feature as well installed, however I hear timing is always in issue.

On a side note, my local fd on 154.3700 Pl / ctcss 103.5 always chops out there two tone on my scanner. There not the only agency this happens with. They have a contract dispatch serivce and it happens with the other fds as well. I know they do not have the same issue otherwise it would have been corrected already. So, the question is what do I have to d to fix for the issue.
take your seconds and time them by 1000. Example: 3 seconds x 1000 = 3000 MS. .25 seconds = 250 MS. AT least I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong never been good at math.
Old 07-08-2005, 3:45 PM

1.5 sec = 1500 msec
3.5 seec = 3500 msec

Do you have the channel in CTCSS mode? Maybe they turn CTCSS off during tone out and the 396 then drops the channel.
Old 07-08-2005, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro92b
1.5 sec = 1500 msec
3.5 seec = 3500 msec

Do you have the channel in CTCSS mode? Maybe they turn CTCSS off during tone out and the 396 then drops the channel.
I doubt they would turn off CTCSS. The radio would not open if they did.
Old 07-08-2005, 5:41 PM

Default Firmware Update Feature Request

I mentioned this I believe on the other Post-Release thread, but I want to formalize my thoughts one last time. UPMan, if you are reading this, please consider my post as a good faith request for FTO operation.

First, thank you. I have been waiting for this feature for 20 years of monitoring. I bought this radio just for this feature. It is now working as designed and it is working flawlessly. But, inasmuch as a firmware update is coming out, perhaps my thoughts could be considered, as I think they would make the feature perfect.

1. The new firmware ability to monitor several tones at once on the same frequency is great - but - there should be a very easy way to select which tones to simultaneously monitor. I am proposing that you utilize the L/O button for this purpose when in FTO Mode or FTO Detect since the L/O button is not utilized here (it gives an error beep when pressed). In other words, the user can use the selector knob to cycle through the 10 tone settings and lock out those tones which will be bypassed and un-lock those tones to be monitored. This would be perfect for the user to, say, monitor 6 stations during the day but only 1 station at night. And, it would be very easy to change the settings by simply using the L/O button. It provides much better flexibility and should be hopefully easy to implement in a firmware update.

2. The FTO Detect mode should allow the user to hear the channel communications but still alert on a FTO. This way, the user can listen to chatter at volume level 3 or 4 in the background but set the alert to 15 if there is a FTO. Also, it would be much easier to see if FTO is working to hear the call. If the user did not want the alert to sound, the user could simply monitor the channel in non-FTO mode, i.e., conventional scanning.

Thanks UPMan. Great job on this fantastic radio.
Old 07-08-2005, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooey
Quote:

Post what you have and maybe we can help you out.

Joe M.

Thanks,
Brandon G.
That's enough. Looks at the columns Tone A and Tone B. Then look at the table I posted on page 1 for Motorolq Quick Call II. See at the bottom of column 1 where it says code 110? Write the frequency beside it - 330.5. Then look up 119 (539.0). All the tones in your list will be in the first column. The timing is most likely 1 second - 0 gap - 3 seconds.

So, Medic 1 = 1 second of 330.5 - 0 gap - 3 seconds of 539.0

I'm guessing on the timing, but by ear you should be able to tell if the timing is close. If not, post again.

Easy 'nuff?

Joe M.
Old 07-08-2005, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro92b
1.5 sec = 1500 msec
3.5 seec = 3500 msec

I doubt they would turn off CTCSS. The radio would not open if they did.
First, you can't program a CTCSS with the FTO programming.

Second, standard practice is to drop the tone when sending paging tones, but most departments don't do that. A properly programmed radio will open squelch on either CTCSS OR paging tones (which will keep the squelch in carrier mode).

Are you sure of the timings? Standard is 1 second x 3 seconds. Your timing may be off.

Joe M.
Sponsored links

Old 07-08-2005, 6:04 PM

Default Re: Firmware Update Feature Request

Quote:
If the user did not want the alert to sound, the user could simply monitor the channel in non-FTO mode, i.e., conventional scanning.
Or just program the alert to OFF.

Joe M.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If the user did not want the alert to sound, the user could simply monitor the channel in non-FTO mode, i.e., conventional scanning.

Joe M.
Yes, true.

By the way.... another idea .... I hooked up ScanRec to the 396 in FTO Mode and now I never miss a call because it only records the tone outs for my station of interest. Only draw back is that I cannot play with the radio while doing this. I may need to buy another - one for FTO and one to trunk and play!
Old 07-09-2005, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Joe M.
Yes, true.

By the way.... another idea .... I hooked up ScanRec to the 396 in FTO Mode and now I never miss a call because it only records the tone outs for my station of interest. Only draw back is that I cannot play with the radio while doing this. I may need to buy another - one for FTO and one to trunk and play!
Just get a pager and connect THAT to ScanRec. It would be much less expensive.

Joe M.
Old 07-09-2005, 3:23 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Has/can anyone record(ed) these alerts, and post them? Please.
Old 07-09-2005, 3:46 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When you scroll through the available alerts it'll play them for you.