RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2005, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboy
Thanks for passing along the recommendation. Once you get the soundcard audio routed to the program, it works great!
You're welcome. I found that that program can be precise sometimes with the frequencies of tones.
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2005, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooey
What does delay set to OFF do in FTO mode?
It means it won't let you hear the announcement at all. Set to 5, it waits 5 seconds for an announcement. If it's not received in that time (or at least some carrier activity), it will revert back to standby mode (waiting for a decode).

Joe M.
Set to INFINITE it will continue to stay open until you reset it (FUNC).
Old 07-12-2005, 8:41 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
set it to infinite
Only an option after the firmware update...

OFF position could be used also in environments where you don't want the scanner blasting out...Set the alert level fairly low. If you get an alert and are in a position to listen w/o disturbing others, press HOLD to hear the audio at whatever the master volume level is at.
Old 07-12-2005, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan
Quote:
set it to infinite
Only an option after the firmware update...

OFF position could be used also in environments where you don't want the scanner blasting out...Set the alert level fairly low. If you get an alert and are in a position to listen w/o disturbing others, press HOLD to hear the audio at whatever the master volume level is at.
Thanks for the correction. The software already has this option.

Also, can you clarify the difference between Detect and Monitor modes in the FTO?
Old 07-12-2005, 9:44 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

After the update, the terminology will change to be clearer:

STANDBY: This is "pager" mode.
HOLD: This will tone-out, but you'll hear all comms on the frequency, too (no squelch inhibit). In other words, it HOLDS on the frequency.

I don't offhand remember which was which on the original firmware...and I'm running the new version so I cannot easily check. I think MONITOR = HOLD and DETECT = STANDBY, but might have this swapped.
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2005, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan
After the update, the terminology will change to be clearer:

STANDBY: This is "pager" mode.
HOLD: This will tone-out, but you'll hear all comms on the frequency, too (no squelch inhibit). In other words, it HOLDS on the frequency.

I don't offhand remember which was which on the original firmware...and I'm running the new version so I cannot easily check. I think MONITOR = HOLD and DETECT = STANDBY, but might have this swapped.
The initial firmware settings are "Mode" = silent until tone out and "Detect" = frequency open for monitoring.

Paul,

It looks from your description that the new "STANDBY" mode will monitor the frequency AND tone out? If so, EXCELLENT and thanks! Is there any shot at all that the new firmware will include the ability to selectively lockout FTOs on the same frequency per the earlier posts, i.e., monitor 1 station or multiple stations at option of the user on any given frequency?

I have never seen any project manager of a manufacturer actively participate and listen to user feedback over the internet. Great job and thank you again.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:40 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
The initial firmware settings are "Hold" = silent until tone out and "Detect" = frequency open for monitoring.
On the display using the inital firmware I get either Tone Out Mode or Tone Out Detect. I assume that Mode = silent until tone out?

73 Eric
Old 07-12-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCottrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
The initial firmware settings are "Hold" = silent until tone out and "Detect" = frequency open for monitoring.
On the display using the inital firmware I get either Tone Out Mode or Tone Out Detect. I assume that Mode = silent until tone out?

73 Eric
oops. I meant to say "mode" and will edit. 'Hold' is what you press to cycle between the modes.
Old 07-12-2005, 3:40 PM

As was mentioned earlier, the software programming for FTO will NOT WORK!

You can, however, edit the config file until the new firmware comes out.

Here's my example:

ToneOut,5,Sta.33,00337000,FM,OFF,INF,6,AUTO,04266, ,03467,,
(prior to editing)

ToneOut,5,Sta.33,00337000,FM,OFF,INF,6,AUTO,04266,3000,03467,3000,1
(after editing)

You must insert the tone duration for each tone and the tone gap. I've indicated those parameters in bold.
Sponsored links

Old 07-12-2005, 7:13 PM

Question:

How critical is the tone duration setting? I have my local EMS set and I cannot get FTO to alert. They get paged alot so its easy to keep changing the duration and waiting for another call.

I tried 3000ms, 2500ms and 2000ms but still no cigar. I know I have the correct tone freqs. (742.5 and 892.5). Any ideas?

EDIT: does the radio have to be in FTO Mode or will it alert in FTO Detect?
Old 07-12-2005, 7:48 PM

Timing needs to be within 100 msec. Can you record a tone out and post it?
Old 07-12-2005, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Question:

How critical is the tone duration setting? I have my local EMS set and I cannot get FTO to alert. They get paged alot so its easy to keep changing the duration and waiting for another call.

I tried 3000ms, 2500ms and 2000ms but still no cigar. I know I have the correct tone freqs. (742.5 and 892.5). Any ideas?

EDIT: does the radio have to be in FTO Mode or will it alert in FTO Detect?
With all due respect, I should not answer this because both answers are in this thread. But I will in good faith. The unit will NOT tone out on Detect - it most be in Mode - under this firmware. All durations must be pretty precise. If you measure the durations in accordance with the suggestions in this thread, you can get an EXACT measurement and your FTO will work. Or just wait until the firmware upgrade.

good luck.
Old 07-13-2005, 1:05 AM
wizard of odd
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I just got my scanner today and I've been doing some playing.

I took a buisness band radio and plugged it into my computer and started playing tones and adjusting setttings.

Tones need to be about +/- 4hz.
Spacing needs to be around +/- 100ms.

My pager (which is not even on the same freq) would alert when the scanner stood quiet.
Old 07-13-2005, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffexpCP
I just got my scanner today and I've been doing some playing.

I took a buisness band radio and plugged it into my computer and started playing tones and adjusting setttings.

Tones need to be about +/- 4hz.
Spacing needs to be around +/- 100ms.

My pager (which is not even on the same freq) would alert when the scanner stood quiet.
You do have an alert tone programmed, right? What is your delay set to? How fast did the announcement follow the tones? If it was more than 2 seconds, that is the default delay and the scanner went back into standby mode.

+/- 4 Hz is about right for most pagers. +/- 100 mS won't matter after the firmware update.

Joe M.
Old 07-13-2005, 8:42 AM
Forums Moderator
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I am a firefighter here in S. Arkansas. I got my tone out info from our radio programmers. Both tone freqs and durations and my tone out function does not work. I tried it a few times but have lost faith in it. Maybe the firmware upgrade will help make it work correctly. I set the durations as specified. It didn't work. I tried shortening one duration, then both durations....and still nothing.
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2005, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyobc
I am a firefighter here in S. Arkansas. I got my tone out info from our radio programmers. Both tone freqs and durations and my tone out function does not work. I tried it a few times but have lost faith in it. Maybe the firmware upgrade will help make it work correctly. I set the durations as specified. It didn't work. I tried shortening one duration, then both durations....and still nothing.
Are you sure they gave you the right info?

What exactly did they give you for tones and timing?

Joe M.
Old 07-13-2005, 5:53 PM
Forums Moderator
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Yeah, he showed me on his laptop and wrote the info down for me, actually gave it to me twice because I lost the first one.

Freq: 154.9725

Tone A: 433.9

Tone A Duration: 1 second

Tone B: 330.9

Tone B Duration: 3 seconds

Tone Gap: 0 seconds
Old 07-13-2005, 7:24 PM

Those are not standard tones although they are close to the entries in Motorola Group 1. If you have the frequency set to NFM, try FM instead. If it still doesn't work, posting a wav recording of the tone out will allow someone here to analyze it.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, he showed me on his laptop and wrote the info down for me, actually gave it to me twice because I lost the first one.

Try programming a gap of 1 ms. Just a thought.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al42
Quote:

Try programming a gap of 1 ms. Just a thought.
I believe this is a known problem. My local system also has NO gap (0) but the scanner firmware currently requires their be a gap of at least 1 ms. The Uniden firmware is supposed to fix this and other timing issues ... in fact the 396_UASD software doesn't asking for tone lengths of a gap length... but we're still waiting for the firmware.