Uniden's New Product Called Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
The new scanner is basically program free! Just enter a zip code and listen. It scans digital and analog with a color screen. Pictures to come later!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just what this hobby needs. Another dumbed down product for the masses. :roll::mad:

Actually, it is exactly what this hobby needs.
The number one issue I encounter when helping
anyone get started in the monitoring hobby these
days is the knowledge it takes just to understand the
basics of the radio systems used and how it relates
to the $500 radio they just purchased.
The beginner user just wants the radio to work straight
out of the box without needing an engineering degree
to know how to listen to their local PD/Fire/EMS.
If our beloved hobby is to survive and grow, we need to
be able to make sure we include everyone from beginner
to advanced users.
I am sure Uniden will have advanced features available
for those of us inclined to use Home Patrol that way.
I would also ask everyone to wait until the full details
of the product are released as I am sure there will be
still some as yet undocumented features
that all will love.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
That's it! :(

I am sure there is more to it than the initial post
indicated. We will have to wait for the Uniden press release
on the full feature set. I have a feeling there will probably be
something for everyone in this product.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Highpockets

I don't care what features it has, you still can't beat programming your own scanner, giving the system names and alpha tags you want, and setting up the systems and frequencies in the order you want, adding and deleting etc.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
New Uniden Scanner

The new scanner is basically program free! Just enter a zip code and listen. It scans digital and analog with a color screen. Pictures to come later!

I have to agree with both sides of the issue with this. A lot of people will want it to work right out of the box but I see what others are saying here. I like the ability to listen to more than 8 zip codes and more than one trunking system at any given time plus the ability to tag it and set it up the way I want it.

73s

Chad

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
handheld right
QUOTE=radiosquirrel;1336928]The new scanner is basically program free! Just enter a zip code and listen. It scans digital and analog with a color screen. Pictures to come later![/QUOTE]

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
Still waiting on on the specs. Sorry to jump the gun but it will be an awesome radio. Here's a picture of it next to a 396XT. It's touchscreen with a GPS interface and many many features. The inital post didn't do it justice.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 29,067
Last edited:

musicman476

RR DB Admin
Database Admin
handheld right
QUOTE=radiosquirrel;1336928]The new scanner is basically program free! Just enter a zip code and listen. It scans digital and analog with a color screen. Pictures to come later!
[/QUOTE]

It looks like a GPS unit you see in cars. It does require you to hook up your own GPS though.
One of the other cool features that hasn't been mentioned is the replay and recording functions much
like a DVR!

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
End of Sept delivery I am told

Been told end of Sept delv and we THINK about same price as current uniden digital.
Great sure look forward to new product.

Thanks
Uniden

Still waiting on on the specs. Sorry to jump the gun but it will be an awesome radio. Here's a picture of it next to a 396XT. It's touchscreen with a GPS interface and many many features. The inital post didn't do it justice.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I don't care what features it has, you still can't beat programming your own scanner, giving the system names and alpha tags you want, and setting up the systems and frequencies in the order you want, adding and deleting etc.

You're a "Joe Scanner" (Uniden's term) and you're used to that sort of thing. This device is aimed at the other 70% of the market who are not as technically adept. I might also point out that this device is powered by the RadioReference database.

It *will* also be customizable to suit your needs through use of included software as well as future software from Butel and others.

However, I'm technically adept and I love this thing. Lindsay is also here and we're both impressed right down to our toenails.

I (and a few others) will certainly post some more info later), but here's a picture.

Tom WA8PYR

Attachments

• HomePatrol.jpg
    HomePatrol.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 29,438
Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

Thanks for the first picture radiosquirrel! That's pretty cool looking. What was the general consensus about it at the show? How did the P25 decode sound?
Is it easy to use?

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
You're a "Joe Scanner" (Uniden's term)and you're used to that sort of thing. This device is aimed at the other 70% of the market who are not as technically adept.

However, I'm technically adept and I love this thing. Lindsay is also here and we're both impressed right down to our toenails.

I (and a few others) will certainly post some more info later), but here's a picture.

Tom WA8PYR

Very cool Tom! More pictures and info when you can, please.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have to agree with both sides of the issue with this. A lot of people will want it to work right out of the box but I see what others are saying here. I like the ability to listen to more than 8 zip codes and more than one trunking system at any given time plus the ability to tag it and set it up the way I want it.

It's not just zip code based; you can also put in city name or GPS coordinates. You can also increase or decrease the range to include more or less stuff to scan, you're not just limited to what it gives you.

You'll also be able to customize through use of software, so if you don't like what's on RadioReference (the database that powers this device) you'll be able to change it to suit yourself.

I'd also urge everyone not to rush to judgement; wait for the reviews to come out and think about it before you blindly condemn the device. Remember, "Joe Scanner" folks like us are only about 30% or the market for scanners. The other 70% are the folks who aren't technically adept but who still want to listen to what's going on in the area, and in many cases they're being left out because modern scanners are simply too complicated for them to figure out.

Tom WA8PYR

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Preprogramming

I wonder if you can DELETE all the preprogrammed stuff (like I did with my 996T and 996XT) and do your own programming?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Very cool Tom! More pictures and info when you can, please.

I'll have a few hours to kill at the airport waiting for my flight to CMH so I'll crank out some more then. Also look for my video, coming soon to YouTube near you.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.